• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Emergency

DocHunter

Reaction score
Hey is a random question:

I have a job interview tomorrow morning. I pulled the old suit out and tried it on to find that the waist is mighty tight. I might be able to hack it if I hike them up well above my hips, but I'm afraid that might look funny. My idea was this:

Would I ruin anything if I cut the waist button off and rewed it on the waist about 1/2" inside of it, to give myself a little breathing room tomorrow? This was my idea at a quick fix, but I don't know if it will work. I don't have time to bring them to the tailor because the interview is tomorrow morning.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

Navi

Reaction score
It might look a bit weird but I reckon it'd work. Doesn't sound like you have much of a choice anyways. You can always change it back if it looks too weird/you screw up!

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Instead of ruining a suit, you could try to just keep the top button unbuttoned and use a belt to hold the pants up. It's not the best idea, but hey, neither is checking on your interview suit the night before an interview.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Or wear a different suit.

Or use the jacket as an odd jacket with pants that fit.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
Instead of ruining a suit, you could try to just keep the top button unbuttoned and use a belt to hold the pants up. It's not the best idea, but hey, neither is checking on your interview suit the night before an interview.

Yeah this is probably a better idea, see if just a belt works.

Also what a great help, Aldehyde! Surely he would've posted this thread if he had another suit he could use instead!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, if you do this you run the risk of your zipper either being exposed or worse, coming undone. Shame on you for waiting 'till the last minute to button these details up
smile.gif

pauliec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20

+1, just make sure the buckle covers the unfastened button. It will look like your stomach is literally bursting out of your pants.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
OP, if you do this you run the risk of your zipper either being exposed or worse, coming undone. Shame on you for waiting 'till the last minute to button these details up
smile.gif

+1
teacha.gif
Just wave your hat in the air and shout 'Yee-haww' because you're going for the ride now. Good luck tho. Let us know how it went.

markspencer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aldehyde
Or wear a different suit.

Or use the jacket as an odd jacket with pants that fit.

I agree with Aldehyde. Try finding another pair of pants that fit.

mlongano

Reaction score
If you know a decent alterations tailor in your area, he/she should be able to let those trousers out in about 30 minutes.

If you don't know anybody, go to a men's clothing store in your area and offer the tailor thirty or forty dollars to perform the emergency repair. (JAB, Brooks Brothers, etc.)

Oh, never mind...I see that you posted last night and now it's too late since you're probably at the interview.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Don't ever wait till the day before the interview to make sure your suit fits again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics