• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A simple tie and white pocket square put the focus on this attractive plaid patterned jacket from Anderson & Sheppard

anderson.jpg

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the thread... but are pockets generally standardized in terms of size? Is there an optimal pocket square size that fold over perfectly to take up the width of the pocket and depth of the pocket?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I didn't read the thread... but are pockets generally standardized in terms of size? Is there an optimal pocket square size that fold over perfectly to take up the width of the pocket and depth of the pocket?

Pockets will vary. My pocket squares vary from about 12" when made from heavy linen to 17" in silk. The Hermes squares are very heavy silk and 17" so they become rather bulky.

If you scan the thread you will find videos on how to fold a pocket square.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a custom shirt made and asked them to use the extra material to make a pocket square... it was gigantic.... and they even said that its smaller than what they used to make because people complained. Regardless, I think pocket squares are generally too large. The Kent Wang white linen one I recently bought is a pretty good size, maybe even a little thick when folded a few times since I don't want it visible in the jacket.

I watched some video, I think it might have been of Luciano Barbera. In it, he wrapped his pocket square around some stick like object to stuff down the pocket. Anyone have something like that? Seems like a good tool to push it down while flat and keep it at a good height.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Chambray selvedge pocket square. More SW&D than MC.

P1040749.jpg

Anyone else get the feeling that if selvedge looked downwards, it would notice the shark that it's jumping?
bored.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched some video, I think it might have been of Luciano Barbera. In it, he wrapped his pocket square around some stick like object to stuff down the pocket. Anyone have something like that? Seems like a good tool to push it down while flat and keep it at a good height.

I haven't seen the video, but I often use a shoe horn to push a folded square into the pocket so that it stays flat and keeps its fold.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Anyone else get the feeling that if selvedge looked downwards, it would notice the shark that it's jumping?
bored.gif

Yes. A denim square is kind of interesting, but there's no reason to show off teh selvedge.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Machine-stitched hem, that better be an antique Singer sewing machine.

JS1357

Reaction score
I rarely like a shirt and pocket square to match (except when both are white). One of the white linen squares with the light blue border would look so much better. But my first choice would be plain white linen. It would add contrast without distracting you from the attractive pattern in the jacket.

I agree. Needs white...

JS1357

Reaction score
A simple tie and white pocket square put the focus on this attractive plaid patterned jacket from Anderson & Sheppard

Yes, and ignore the big white flower

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
developing your own personal style.

Rolled skinny jeans and a pre-tied bowtie aren't exactly personal. I'd agree with you 100% if we were talking about someone like Ignatius Joseph. The guy in the photo looks like they bred a hipster and urkel.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tony Romo, There is no one ideal pocket square size. Pocket squares will typically vary from 10 to 18 inches. The fabric width will guide the pocket square maker with thicker fabrics tending to be better as smaller squares. However, all things being equal different gentlemen will have different preferences both as to pocket square size and construction. Which is why our pocket squares are custom made as you prefer. Pocket squares can be made very quickly by machine and also quite quickly by hand with a "rustic" edge and simple corner - almost all pocket squares are made in a rustic style... Luxury/Custom pocket square makers go much more slowly and take about 2 hours to make a pocket square. All the edges must be perfect as well as the corners. Contrast edges should not be sewn on. The overall quality of the fabric will be different with luxury pocket square makers. Hermes for example starts with a very nice twill silk and then makes very, very beautiful prints.

JS1357

Reaction score
I want to buy a simple white pocket square in linen. Where to buy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads