• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
i see alan every other day,kiton every other month

Wow, Kiton every month? I am thrifting at the wrooooong places!

If anyone ever finds and kiton jackets in 40/41/42, I will GLADLY buy them from you.

Cheers

bounce2.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatguymj
Wow, Kiton every month? I am thrifting at the wrooooong places!

If anyone ever finds and kiton jackets in 40/41/42, I will GLADLY buy them from you.

Cheers

bounce2.gif

yeah you and everybody else
devil.gif

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
yeah you and everybody else
devil.gif

Do you only pick thrift stores? I've never met a professional that only thrifted. I picked yard sales/estate sales for years, in addition to working as a cosigner for an antique shop it was resnabley profitable, at least for an 19 year old kid.

What's your best find? I once found a box of 4 Rembrandt etchings.

Navi

Reaction score
Found a pair of Ferragamo's today. But because of my amazing luck, they had no price tag! And of course if it's at a thrift store and isn't priced, they can't sell it until the next day after they price it. ****.
frown.gif

bmac11c

Reaction score
Picked up a nice Tom Ford SC today at Neiman Marcus Last Call for $388. Marked 65% off and they took an additional 30% off of that price too! They also had some nice Isaia and Brioni's on sale as well. I'm a dumbass as I should have purchased those as well!
baldy[1].gif
BUT, there's always tomorrow!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Photos of these alleged Kitons Frenchy, or it didnt happen.

go back about 500 pages,of the ones i found and picked up anyway,a lot of it i leave behind (like the 40 short today).im emailing pics of the 4 Brionis to nataku shortly if you dont believe me.
unless ist spectacular i leave some of the kitons behind,im not impressed with their suits.The cashmere sportcoats are very nice though.the suits...meh
the best suit i have ever found is still a 190 wool Boss Selection tailored line with real Horn Buttons (the handmade in germany line) yeah yeah hugo Boss i know,but go check it out sometime (they have their own store www.boss-selection.com/main.php?L=en )
as far as over all consitent quality i gotta go with RLPL or Tom Ford stuff (gasp)

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Found a pair of Ferragamo's today. But because of my amazing luck, they had no price tag! And of course if it's at a thrift store and isn't priced, they can't sell it until the next day after they price it. ****.
frown.gif

never happened to me, i always try to help them make up a nice fair price if there is no tag

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96

DUDE NICE! I would kill for that.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Do you only pick thrift stores? I've never met a professional that only thrifted. I picked yard sales/estate sales for years, in addition to working as a cosigner for an antique shop it was resnabley profitable, at least for an 19 year old kid.

my best find monetary wise or just closest to my heart? no Rembrandts here,hmm thats a a hard quetion will have to think on that one.
as far as thrifting and being paid,i have two houses paid off in europe (france and poland on the baltic sea) and im only 36 so yeah frenchy is doing allright

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
never happened to me, i always try to help them make up a nice fair price if there is no tag

It's policy for pretty much every chain thrift store around here. I used to work at one, there isn't any negotiating, it really sucks.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Goodwill around here prices stuff on the spot if it's missing, but the Salvation Army used to be strict, depending on who was at the register. I could always convince them. If I knew I couldn't, I'd grab a price tag that I thought was fair off something else that I know nobody would care about and say it fell off. Worked every time. I don't do it anymore because I haven't run into the problem in at least 5 years. All the thrifts around here either give me a price at the register or have it priced in the back within minutes. The whole "it takes a day to price it" routine is BS in my opinion.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
The Goodwill around here prices stuff on the spot if it's missing, but the Salvation Army used to be strict, depending on who was at the register. I could always convince them. If I knew I couldn't, I'd grab a price tag that I thought was fair off something else that I know nobody would care about and say it fell off. Worked every time. I don't do it anymore because I haven't run into the problem in at least 5 years. All the thrifts around here either give me a price at the register or have it priced in the back within minutes. The whole "it takes a day to price it" routine is BS in my opinion.

It is bullshit, back when I worked at Salvation Army the only person who could price stuff on the spot was the Store Manager. But I was tired and hungry so I didn't feel like complaining and waiting to get it priced
laugh.gif

951socal

Reaction score
Out here im pretty sure they google the going price of the item or set it to ebay prices:

Becuase when i picked up the nintendo wii it was going for $90 on ebay and picked it up for that.

but they also had an xbox 360 for $149.99 (red ring of death i even told them but they keep selling it as a working unit)

thats a goodwill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads