• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
a wimpy 4 miles, having a wimpy week.

Nice. haven't run in about 2 weeks. Hockey season picked up and 2-3 games per week plus the gym has taken up all my running time. I missed it. Then I got a bug Wednesday night, in bed all day thursday and most of Friday...had to get out today and thought a 5 miler nice and easy would help me sweat it out. I'm freakin' exhausted. Tuesday night was parent teacher conferences and Wednesday was a scheduled rest day, so no physical activity for 4 days...thats a ton for me.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

Though it was beautiful down at the pier for my situps.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles in Santa Monica this morning, where a ton of nervous looking runners were getting there pre-race legs for tomorrow's LA Honda Marathon. Hit it decently I think I avg'ed about 6:50's.
After that I did some damage in Fred Segal in Santa Monica . . .
Looking forward to seeing how the NYRR half marathon turns out tomorrow.
Best of luck all

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck in the half, guys.

Today, another 12-miler, covered in 1:28:41, including stops to tie my shoes and a couple of clif blox. Warmer than it's been in a long time, so I've got to adjust to that in time for next weekend's half. Mostly even splits.

BTW: I'm coming to the realization that I don't bounce back from rest all that well. These last few weeks seem to follow the same pattern - rest...and then the days following are awful. Not until about day 4 do things get effortless. So I'm probably going to not taper much at all for this half and see what happens. Perhaps rest on Mon-Tues and then get back at it through race day. Whether this is a function of the lowish mileage I'm running or what-have-you...I have no clue. Would like your feedback on this.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYC Half mini report: I volunteered at a water station. Got there at the ungodly and dark hour of 6am in the freezing cold. Set up tables, cups, etc. Say what you will about NYRRC (and I usually will), but given the amount of coordination and work it takes to stage a major running event in the city, and they did a nice job. Really nice to see Rupp on the podium for the men (in his debut at the distance?), and Gebremariam (the NYC marathon champ) is really a daunting physical specimen compared to the other elite Africans, taller by nearly a head and looks solidly built. The same goes for Kara Goucher. I expected her to be diminutive but she is also a beast. Not Serena Williams beasty, but tall and strong looking compared to many of the elite women. Would have been nice to see her get the win, but Boston should be an exciting race.
Also, after watching all 15,000 runners come through, I have a great deal of respect for the back of the pack and stragglers, down to the last finisher. Everyone watching knows they're slow. They know they are slow. We were sweeping the streets as the tail end of the race came through, some streets were no longer blocked off, etc. I think it takes tons of guts to deal with that and keep running, more than it takes to win it.

Lowndes

Reaction score
I will echo the above comments about today's NYC. It was my first half marathon and I was amazed with how well organized it is, especially with how many runners there are. Really appreciate all the volunteers and people who make it happen.

My time for the half was 1:52 minutes. Really pleased with how I did overall. Also pleased that each split got faster than the last. Already, looking forward to my next half!

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Killer job. My 1st half m. was 1:51 and I thought it was amazing. Not 18 months later I've improved that time by 20 minutes and have dreams (delusions?) of breaking 1:30 at some point, so good on ya and keep it up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
I will echo the above comments about today's NYC. It was my first half marathon and I was amazed with how well organized it is, especially with how many runners there are. Really appreciate all the volunteers and people who make it happen.

My time for the half was 1:52 minutes. Really pleased with how I did overall. Also pleased that each split got faster than the last. Already, looking forward to my next half!

Great job, man!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to get back into this, would love to run the NYC marathon in the next couple years...good excuse to visit friends in NY..

Most I've ever ran was a 10km race....and it took me 59 mins haha.
frown.gif

did 5km (3.1 miles) last night, and even that was pretty tough!

.bishop

Reaction score
did a 5 mile race this past saturday. I had never run for a time or anything, but my goal was just to do around 42 minutes. i usually run with my girlfriend, but she is mending a stress fracture
frown.gif
so i did this solo. ended up with a 38:58, 7:48 mile. I suprised myself and was pretty happy

mylesmyles

Reaction score
NYC Half yesterday - 1:21:42

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
NYC Half mini report: I volunteered at a water station. Got there at the ungodly and dark hour of 6am in the freezing cold. Set up tables, cups, etc. Say what you will about NYRRC (and I usually will), but given the amount of coordination and work it takes to stage a major running event in the city, and they did a nice job. Really nice to see Rupp on the podium for the men (in his debut at the distance?), and Gebremariam (the NYC marathon champ) is really a daunting physical specimen compared to the other elite Africans, taller by nearly a head and looks solidly built. The same goes for Kara Goucher. I expected her to be diminutive but she is also a beast. Not Serena Williams beasty, but tall and strong looking compared to many of the elite women. Would have been nice to see her get the win, but Boston should be an exciting race.
Also, after watching all 15,000 runners come through, I have a great deal of respect for the back of the pack and stragglers, down to the last finisher. Everyone watching knows they're slow. They know they are slow. We were sweeping the streets as the tail end of the race came through, some streets were no longer blocked off, etc. I think it takes tons of guts to deal with that and keep running, more than it takes to win it.

Thank you for helping out - without the voulenteers these events would not be possible. Had a great time running and was able to qualify for NYC (Marathon and half) in 2012 with the time I ran.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads