• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the appeal of expensive denim?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramp
I buy it so people on the internet will +rep me.

And herein lies half of SF's reason for the denim they choose.

marg

Reaction score
my tellasons made from cone mills denim are great, but i still love my joes and citizens jeans. great cuts for me, and they are lightweight so better for spring/summer. i just had to look harder for the least distressed pairs because that stuff is just silly.

i still don't see the point in spending 300+ when i get exactly what i want for 200 or less. i guess it's all relative to those that bring in more dollars than i do...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramp
I buy it so people on the internet will +rep me.

this.

Actually, I think the sF/Sufu crowds are interested in fine things, typically the nicer something is the more it costs.

Wiggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
The most obvious thing is that expensive denim looks MUCH better. If you're hanging around in department stores you won't be seeing anyone with nice denim. Go to upscale shops and you'll see the difference. Maybe it's your thing, maybe it isn't, but there's an aesthetic to expensive denim that Wrangler and co. can't touch. It pains me even to write Wrangler.

10mw, I think you need to do some more research too.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wiggles
10mw, I think you need to do some more research too.

+1. This threak has major sf groupthink potential

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who gives a **** about selvedge or domestic made denimz

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
The most obvious thing is that expensive denim looks MUCH better. If you're hanging around in department stores you won't be seeing anyone with nice denim. Go to upscale shops and you'll see the difference. Maybe it's your thing, maybe it isn't, but there's an aesthetic to expensive denim that Wrangler and co. can't touch. It pains me even to write Wrangler.

You gotta be kidding.
Wrangler's got many things that most modern jeans-merchants can't touch - more reading, less hyping!

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
And when you get older and decide to say hello to a few thoughts that don't include yourself in a mirror you may realize that denim at any price is for pimps, plummers and sheep.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
i still don't see the point in spending 300+ when i get exactly what i want for 200 or less. i guess it's all relative to those that bring in more dollars than i do...

exactly ... you can always find something that gets the job done for cheaper. but if you can go for the better product, why not?

goes with everything from food, clothing, cars, housing, electronics ... yo uname it

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On one hand you have the school who just wants jeans in somewhat nicer fabric and cut. On the other you have the guys who want their jeans to look like they came out of the 1890s.

Another level

Reaction score
To the thread starter: if you cannot tell the difference between poor and good quality denim then I suggest you stick to what you know. Otherwise you'll just end up thinking you've overpaid unnecessarily. Ignorance in this instance can be sheer bliss. This may be the best option for you as it could take you many years, if not at all, to gain the same knowledge as people here.

Jeans with a higher price tag does not necessarily mean it's better quality either. Similarly, jeans priced cheaply does not always mean good value. Expensive and value are all, of course, subjective words.

Forum residents here tend to understand the true value of jeans rather than on price and pay accordingly. Even if it cost them their entire week's wage! I know for a fact that I wouldn't buy the sort of jeans you would as I believe I'm chucking my money away as it does not fit my requirements.

Here's a useful quote I picked up a few years ago: a fool knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Anotherlevel

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
And when you get older and decide to say hello to a few thoughts that don't include yourself in a mirror you may realize that denim at any price is for pimps, plummers and sheep.

Are you saying people should wear their good denim or beater denim when smacking their bitches and harvesting plums?

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine

I'd have thought when we get older we'd realize it's not the pants that matter but the man who's wearing the pants?
laugh.gif

Horses for courses when it comes to clothing preferences mate, no need to pick on denim-heads.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kit99bar
you are not going to find some amazing denim, for example on a 19 oz Samurai 710, on any other jeans period.

So I hear! People are raving about Japanese raw denim...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads