• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling bags - hand carry, check-in, strollers etc..

chiggah

Reaction score
Not too sure where to post this I'm looking for 2 types of travelling bags. I'm horrible with bag terminology so here it goes:

- Hand and/or shoulder carry for on-board
- Bag to check-in preferably one with rolling wheels and a sliding handle

What do you recommend? Samsonite? Headporter?

I am open to pretty much any design recommended but I prefer something with quality rather than brand bashing like LV, Gucci etc

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LV and Gucci or bust.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson. If the airlines manages to destroy it, which is unlikely but possible I suppose, it'll be replaced for free.

chiggah

Reaction score
Where's a good place to cop a well priced (under RRP) and brand new Filson / Rimowa?

capnpyro

Reaction score
I picked this up at TJ Maxx earlier today for $90. Fit the bill; handful of pockets and shoe holders inside, clothes tie down, hard shell outside. In europe for a week, I think a 28" should hold enough. Either way I'd go to TJ Maxx or a Nordstrom Rack, good deal on luggage, don't need to spend an arm and a leg on it unless you're constantly traveling.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Briggs & Riley seems very popular and has an unconditional lifetime guarantee.

Victorinox makes good bags. Check Sierra Trading Post and your local TJ Maxx for deals. I bought a few pieces from the discontinued NXT 4.0 line from both. The Trooper Duffel Tote is a small duffel designed to be as large as possible and still fit under the average airline seat, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

TravelPro is another good brand. Check Overstock, etc. for discounts. Also take a look at Red Oxx sold through their own website.

Be aware some 22" rollaboards may not fit correctly in some overheads. 20" is safe but probably won't have a suiter option.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got a full set of luggage as gifts from family from Hartmann heavily discounted at their outlet

otherwise filson is definitely the way to go!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiggah
Where's a good place to cop a well priced (under RRP) and brand new Filson / Rimowa?
You talk to us about Filson.

ysb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrounger
Briggs & Riley seems very popular and has an unconditional lifetime guarantee.

Victorinox makes good bags. Check Sierra Trading Post and your local TJ Maxx for deals. I bought a few pieces from the discontinued NXT 4.0 line from both. The Trooper Duffel Tote is a small duffel designed to be as large as possible and still fit under the average airline seat, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

TravelPro is another good brand. Check Overstock, etc. for discounts. Also take a look at Red Oxx sold through their own website.

Be aware some 22" rollaboards may not fit correctly in some overheads. 20" is safe but probably won't have a suiter option.

Also I've seen some Samsonite Black Label (their high end line) at some TJ Maxx as well. It's a great deal if you can find it.

I travel on average 2-3 days a week mostly flying and have a 20" Samsonite black label roller with a suiter. I can carry on my bag almost 90% of the time. I would have a tougher time if it was a 22"

Scrounger

Reaction score
Hmm, looks like there are more 20" models with suiters than I thought - B&R has some too. My TravelPro doesn't but it's a non-issue for me. Check before buying if you want one, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads