• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Herringbone pop-up sale in Canberra soon for anyone who lives in the graveyard with lights

Now now, you should not refer to the national capital in such a manner. So where and when is the Herringbone sale?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Herringbone pop-up sale in Canberra soon for anyone who lives in the graveyard with lights

Canberra is awesome, what's with the hate? The Canberra we have in 2011 is completely different to the boring one we had 10 years ago where the city was literally dead after 6.30 at night except for fri-sat. I can also go mountain biking 5 mins ride from my house, fishing 5 minutes drive and my favourite restaraunt is 5 minutes walk!

Yeah there are a few bogans around, but Sydney aint perfect either. At least in Canberra the risk of having your house shot at in a drive by is comparatively lower he he.

Seriously they are both great cities and both have pluses and minuses.

Moving on, whats up with this pop up sale? Info please.

__PG__

Reaction score
Cross-posted with "Ask a quick question": Is there such a thing as a basted tie? I recently bought this item:
184973_10150109442049709_35096719708_6253376_122195_n.jpg
Are the stitches through the tie purely for show? Should the be removed? Can they be removed without the tie falling apart? I tore one of the stitches this morning and now there is too much tension at the tip of the tie.

jessis

Reaction score
Looks like it is part of the look - but I am only guessing. Have never seen a tie like that before.

Quite like it!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invitation
Meet-up - Melbourne

I will be going to see the the MANSTYLE exhibition of history of mens fashion at the NGV.
Sat 26. March 2011

See some info here: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/e...ions/manstyle2

If any others would like to meet up around 11am at NGV St Kilda Rd - perhaps have a short drink or coffee - and walk around exhibition. The part of the exhibition that is at NGV is focused around earlier and more extravagant examples of Mens clothing.

Around 12.30 or so - we would walk (or tram, run, jog, saunter, sashay, truck, stroll, mooch) on to Fed Square where the second part of the exhibition is at Potter Gallery focused on 20th century and Australian fashion. (Its not all that clear to me how its divided up but this is what I have gleaned without actually ringing up and asking)

Its free entry both parts from what I understand.

I wouldn't want to spend all that long unless its particularly interesting. I might think of having a light lunch afterwards.

The idea is to be low key and inclusive.

Anyone is welcome.
Lurkers especially.

Signal here if you are coming and PM me your mobile number.

I'm not particularly organising anything - just providing an opportunity.

ManStyle is the first exhibition in Australia to focus on international and Australian men's fashion from the eighteenth century to the present. Provocatively divided into two broad archetypes - dandies and peacocks - representing the extremes of masculine style, the exhibition explores some fo the most influential ideas that have pervaded menswear over the past three centuries.
ManStyle is the first exhibition in Australia to focus on inernational and Austrlaian men's fashion from the eighteenth century to the present.
NB: some of the typos and spellers on that NGV page are embarrassing.

jobro

Reaction score
Where do the Aussies buy their Filsons? I don't really feel like paying $150 shipping on a $100 bag.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Where do the Aussies buy their Filsons? I don't really feel like paying $150 shipping on a $100 bag.
I bought my field satchel from Solomon Brothers in Huston. I paid $550 Australian for it in 2008 and the postage was quite cheap only about $30US and I was able to track it all the way to the front door.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Invitation
I will be going to see the the MANSTYLE exhibition of history of mens fashion at the NGV.
Sat 26. March 2011

See some info here: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/e...ions/manstyle2

Whilst I won't be able to attend
frown.gif
, at least this has given me an idea of what to do during what little downtime I'll have when I'm in Melbourne from tomorrow through Friday.
biggrin.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro

I believe that Crane's Country Store (an SF affiliate) charges about US$35-40 to ship to Australia.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
interested, although i don't usually suit up on a saturday.

Its up to you - its no competition. I'll be just dressed to go to the NGV on a Saturday in what looks clean picked up off the floor.

You'll know me - I'll be the one in the triple monk croc skin driving shoes, no socks, 4" cuffs swinging 3 " above my ankle,with silk and linen pocket squares stuffed in every available pocket and waving my bespoke green leather Hermes breast pocket wallet around at the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads