• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that are tacky

Rbethell11

Reaction score
What brands do you feel produce tacky clothing.

I think Gucci, D&G, Lacoste, and sometimes Express and Ralph Lauren do.

Lacoste and Express use the most absurd colors. Ralph Lauren's horse, and Lacoste's alligator are oversized on way too many shirts, which just makes you appear obnoxious and brand obsessed. D&G and Gucci are just becoming too logo happy.

Any other brands you can think of?

bjornb17

Reaction score
spam[1].gif
?

Poindexter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
spam[1].gif
?

How so? This guy isn't selling anything. It's maybe not the most substantive threak line I ever saw, but at least I can contribute Tommy Hilfiger, a former hanger-on of rock bands who designs(?) some of the most forgettable pseudo-americana I've seen.

Rbethell11

Reaction score
sorry if you view it as spam, I was just trying to get conversation going. I think everyone has a certain brand, or style that they think is tacky looking, and was just asking for opinions...

Rbethell11

Reaction score
I definitely agree with t.h. - some of the ugliest looking clothing ive ever seen

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rbethell11
sorry if you view it as spam, I was just trying to get conversation going. I think everyone has a certain brand, or style that they think is tacky looking, and was just asking for opinions...

There was a very similar thread circulating for several days a couple of weeks ago with many replies which will give you a snapshot of what the SF thinks of several brands.

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There was a very similar thread circulating for several days a couple of weeks ago with many replies which will give you a snapshot of what the SF thinks of several brands.

I think it was the "Brands that annoy you the most"

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
I think it was the "Brands that annoy you the most"

You're right. It is on this forum somewhere.

To answer original poster's question, I would say that Louis Vuitton is so over-exposed.

604Coast

Reaction score
Tapout, Christian Audigier/Ed Hardy, those horrendous jeans with the contrast white stitching...True Religion is it ?

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
In this regard I think all the best big name brands that make more than just higher end business/casual clothing (Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, etc.) have tacky items. I'm not sure if everyone else notices but the cheap stuff, which is readily available, always has the logos on the outside and the nice stuff, which is usually more expensive, just looks nice for the most part, plus I think it's worth mentioning that most designers have been trying to escape Tom Ford's (Gucci) influence on the previous decade's extravagant logo-mania

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nathaniel72
In this regard I think all the best big name brands that make more than just higher end business/casual clothing (Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, etc.) have tacky items. I'm not sure if everyone else notices but the cheap stuff, which is readily available, always has the logos on the outside and the nice stuff, which is usually more expensive, just looks nice for the most part, plus I think it's worth mentioning that most designers have been trying to escape Tom Ford's (Gucci) influence on the previous decade's extravagant logo-mania

Good post. Echoes much of my sentiment. All labels with possible 1 or 2 exceptions will produce pleasing items as well as unorthodox / weaker items. Once you dig under the surface of their top "business class" lines, you find much mediocre stuff either badly designed, average quality, or just plain dumb. Thats why I am not so much a brandophile - of all fashion label stuff, only 1 or 2 pieces catch my interest. If I average over the whole lot, I find fashion brands like Gucci, Armani, Prada etc generally uninteresting and a waste of money. Of course, I occasionally catch pieces by these labels which I really like - it just happens with some degree of rarity. I would not go so far to call any of the obvious labels tacky - I prefer to call them highly capricious.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tacky?

Most designer brands are offering good products and tacky ones...

Ed Hardy , D&G are definitively tacky but oversized Ralph Lauren's polo logos are also in my mind very tacky...

Tackiness is a difficult concept to analyze.

Burberry's check can be tacky especially when over-used...

The same way , a guy wearing a three piece tweed suit in a very city business environment is in my eyes tacky...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads