• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stain removal guide

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Since this method calls for hot water, then hot water, and then hot water, any issues with shrinkage? Fading? Bleaching/lost color?

I am primarily concerned with my Jantzens which have a rep for shrinkage (I only wash them in cold water).

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Bumped in hopes of a response

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had a shirt shrink significantly because of washing in hot water.

Easy with the toothbrushes also, they can ruin a fabric quickly.

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Since this method calls for hot water, then hot water, and then hot water, any issues with shrinkage? Fading? Bleaching/lost color?

I am primarily concerned with my Jantzens which have a rep for shrinkage (I only wash them in cold water).

I would be very surprised to see any real difference in the size or colour of a garment after a single hot water bath, so long as you are diligent about hanging it to dry.

Valproate

Reaction score
I have a striped BB shirt that I washed with a fluorescent yellow post-it note in it. Now the shirt is fluorescent. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I've never had a shirt shrink significantly because of washing in hot water.

Easy with the toothbrushes also, they can ruin a fabric quickly.

Has this worked for you SG? What about oxy-clean spray instead?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the principle method in this thread absolutely blew me away over the course of the weekend. I rescued about 6-7 white shirts that were soon to be garbaged; then after I saw the results, I transitioned to the seemingly risky "colors" with great success.

The whole process amazed me so much I happily told a few friends about it today when they asked how I spent my weekend.

...perhaps the best thing SF has given me thus far.

Merlino

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long, long time but I stumbled across this thread and used it on three shirts that I had hanging in the closet. I was planning on throwing them away because of severe pit stains but this method saved my shirts. Really amazing stuff!!

M0N0GRAM

Reaction score
I wish I would have found this the day I ruined one of my Armani shirts.
plain.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly

Nuke, were you able to get your stain out w/out shrinkage?

Originally Posted by nexus
I would be very surprised to see any real difference in the size or colour of a garment after a single hot water bath, so long as you are diligent about hanging it to dry.

Ah. I always thought hot water was the reason why shirts shrank but you're saying it's heat from the dryer?

Originally Posted by Notreknip
FWIW, the principle method in this thread absolutely blew me away over the course of the weekend. I rescued about 6-7 white shirts that were soon to be garbaged; then after I saw the results, I transitioned to the seemingly risky "colors" with great success.

The whole process amazed me so much I happily told a few friends about it today when they asked how I spent my weekend.

...perhaps the best thing SF has given me thus far.

I'm excited to see other people have had success.

I've a Canali dress shirt with a nasty stain near the 4th button on the front. It wont go away. The material is 70% cotton and 30% seta/silk (se).

Does anyone know if this recipe would ruin my shirt b/c it's not 100% cotton and a hybrid w/ silk??

I'll wait for your replies before trying this.

Cheers

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Nuke, were you able to get your stain out w/out shrinkage?

Ah. I always thought hot water was the reason why shirts shrank but you're saying it's heat from the dryer?

I'm excited to see other people have had success.

I've a Canali dress shirt with a nasty stain near the 4th button on the front. It wont go away. The material is 70% cotton and 30% seta/silk (se).

Does anyone know if this recipe would ruin my shirt b/c it's not 100% cotton and a hybrid w/ silk??

I'll wait for your replies before trying this.

Cheers

If it's machine washable, you're probably safe.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Curious to try this method for my dress shirts.

However, last week someone spilled candle wax on the sleeve of my beautiful Acne dry clean only vest. Any ideas on how to remove the stain? Have heard about ironing, or thought maybe call the dry cleaners. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
I tried that already, flaking it off. But it won't come off, unfortunately. Will bring them to the dry cleaners tomorrow, see what they think.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Candle wax, iron it out. Put a doubled-up paper towel on each side of the shirt, iron. Change position of the towel, repeat . . . until wax is gone.

Poinz

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads