• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skiing World Cup 2011: Riesch v. Vonn: 3/19/2011

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to the Giant Slalom tomorrow, for the 2011 Ladies' Overall title.

Maria-Riesch_1289764c.jpg
lindsey_vonn_1293166c.jpg

vonn-riesch-100310-584.jpg

This is going to be amazing!
Riesch has 1728 Overall points; Vonn has 1725 and has skied very well in the last few weeks to make up a pretty large gap, take the overall lead, and then relinquish the lead again to Riesch in today's Slalom.

Vonn already has clinched the 2011 Downhill, Super-G; and Combined titles, but we know she wants a 4th straight Overall title.

One final day; one final race; two runs...what a great season!
smile.gif

In the first run Riesch goes 2nd; Vonn goes 8th. Advantage Vonn, I think.
The 1st run starts at 10:00AM CET; the 2nd run starts at 12:30PM CET.

Also, big kudos to Ivica Kostelic for his incredible season.
worship.gif
cheers.gif

Ivica+Kostelic+Men+Slalom+Alpine+FIS+Ski+World+m6IJ804zcABl.jpg

Ivica+Kostelic+Audi+FIS+World+Cup+Men+Super+RlkZQ5GeUAul.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Downhill skiing is ******* badass. It's criminally ignored among the public.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Downhill skiing is ******* badass. It's criminally ignored among the US public.

FTFY.
smile.gif

Tomorrow is going to be awesome. The only thing that will keep me from the NCAA tournament.

2 classy champions and best friends going at it tooth and nail. It just doesn't get much better.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up with Lindsey Kildow.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Really? In MN? That's awesome. Did you ski on that same little hill?

She seems like a nice person. She whines sometimes, but I think that's partially media crap; I don't doubt her heart for one second. Great, great skier.

Do she and Mancuso get along, or do they dislike each other?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this televised? (in the US?)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Universal Sports is streaming it live on:
Saturday, March 19 (2:00AM PST / 5:00 AM EST) for $4.99

but also lists a delayed TV telecast on:
Saturday, March 19, from 11:45AM - 1:00PM PST (2:45PM - 4:00PM EST).

I always just watch the delayed TV telecasts.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
^
Really? In MN? That's awesome. Did you ski on that same little hill?

She seems like a nice person. She whines sometimes, but I think that's partially media crap; I don't doubt her heart for one second. Great, great skier.

Do she and Mancuso get along, or do they dislike each other?

Mancuso was a ***** when I knew her. I haven't seen her recently. Skiing is very cliquey, you don't really make friends with people from other clubs until you're on the same one. I'm sure they're decent friends now but don't know for sure.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Mancuso was a ***** when I knew her. I haven't seen her recently. Skiing is very cliquey, you don't really make friends with people from other clubs until you're on the same one. I'm sure they're decent friends now but don't know for sure.

The guys on Universal said she's now going out with Svindal. If true, she can't be all bad, because he seems like a really good, stable, down-to-earth guy. She seems like she likes to have fun. I did read somewhere that earlier in her career she was uber-competitive, jealous of others, and very immature, but that she's a lot more grown-up now.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that the GS was cancelled, and not postponed, because of weather!!!
plain.gif

Come on...the Olympics/WCs don't cancel, they postpone. 3 points separating Riesch and Vonn, last race of the year....

Riesch is a worthy winner, but to win by cancellation of the final, crucial race, is complete bullshit.
I'm sure Riesch feels it is somewhat a hollow title, and Vonn must be devastated not to have had the chance to compete.

Screw the FIS!
censored.gif

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
The guys on Universal said she's now going out with Svindal. If true, she can't be all bad, because he seems like a really good, stable, down-to-earth guy. She seems like she likes to have fun. I did read somewhere that earlier in her career she was uber-competitive, jealous of others, and very immature, but that she's a lot more grown-up now.

Skiing is a VERY small community in the US. Everyone knows everyone if you are good enough. The spats between athletes/teams is largely between girls...both competitively interms of skiing and boys(aren't many top level boys for particular age groups). Between boys the spats are largely a difference in culture(midwest vs. rockies vs east coast).

At the top levels in each age group the athletes from the same region become friends because they're more familiar with eachother, where as the competitive nature of the sport pits the different regions against eachother. Nationals have side events that declare regions winners over one another.

The boys outgrow this stuff far before the girls do. By the time I was 17 i was pretty good friends with all of the other top athletes from my age group from every region while the girls were still being bitches to each other.

It's much like high school but amplified because of the inherent tiny community that US skiing really is.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rugger, what year were you born, if you don't mind?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads