• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive Argyle Sock guide

officeboy

Reaction score
Got some nice looking Robert Talbott wool argyles at Nordstrom Rack the other day. Regular price $32 which is too much for 1/2 calf socks.. but at $5 not bad.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Stuart, New York
Ben Silver, Charleston, South Carolina
Mettez, Paris

Given my affinity for Tweeds, I wear Argyles 90% of the time, and I get almost all those I wear from the above sources.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BB argyles tend to have short lifespans in my experience - the quality seems to have gone downhill somewhat, perhaps? I think there's been threads/posts about this before.

Another vote for the "Targyles" - 2.50 each is really hard to beat, and they wear very nicely. Sure they aren't the most dressy or high-up on the leg... but they don't have to be.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
banana republic has some nice argyle for about $10 in the over the calf length.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
banana republic has some nice argyle for about $10 in the over the calf length.

And usually a 4 for $20 kind of deal...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Marcoliani and Brescani. The former makes a parricularly wide selection of argyles in wool and in cotton lisle, in all colors staid and wild.

TurfedGomer

Reaction score
Nordstrom always has a pretty good selection. I've picked up a few pairs of Ralph Lauren and been happy with them. The more colors you have the better you can match them with outfits and because you spread out their uses they'll last some time..

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've struggled to find socks that have elastic that say taut after even gentle washing. The brooks ones seem to be pretty good, but the cheaper stuff seems to be awful with that.

The Thin Man

Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
And usually a 4 for $20 kind of deal...
Good Lord ... that beats $48 a pair at Paul Stuart!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Paul Stuart is where I get mine.
The best selection I've seen anywhere. Paul Stuart is sock heaven! Just pass the checkout stand and let your eyes wander right ... the colors will knock your socks off ... which I suppose is the intention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads