• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MIT's Sloan or Harvard Business School?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a real question?
confused.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone considering the case method? Or is that just something you write in the applications?

Go to Harvard for god's sake.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talked to a friend of mine that went to get a MBA and Masters in EE at MIT and she said go to HBS.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Any explanation as to why?

HBS is more "flexible" and can go to more areas with their MBA. The name is worth its weight in gold.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Is anyone considering the case method? Or is that just something you write in the applications?

Go to Harvard for god's sake.

No one learns anything worth a **** from the case method. But there's an old saying: if you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. No questions asked. I think it's still pretty solid advice these days. Only time I'd ever dispute it is if you're super technically inclined and had the choice between HBS and Stanford GSB, in which case I might choose GSB.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
No one learns anything worth a **** from the case method. But there's an old saying: if you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. No questions asked. I think it's still pretty solid advice these days. Only time I'd ever dispute it is if you're super technically inclined and had the choice between HBS and Stanford GSB, in which case I might choose GSB.

eh.gif

I'm sorry but this is hogwash. Case study is an excellent method and directly useful for solving problems and general consulting work.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was deciding on where to apply, Darden came up because of the case method (and the fact that they really kick your ass academically, especially up front). My reasoning was that as a career switcher I needed the extra - and holistic - attention.

If this is completely idiotic or off base, I have no idea. One of the frustrating things I found when I talked to current MBAs was how so many seemed to be cheerleaders for their schools. If I said "I want to go to your school for x reason. Is that a good reason?" the answer would invariably be "yes." I got the impression from some that they were on commission, like the Barney's salespeople who say every fuckin thing looks great on you.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To explicitly define the Catch-22: for unbiased info you should probably be asking students at other MBA programs. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know **** about any program without actually going through it.

Or is that more of a Gift-of-the-Magi? SF.net does not get my best effort these days.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
But there's an old saying: if you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. No questions asked.

This is so damn obvious. How is the thread going on for 3 pages?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads