• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather cracking on EGs - please advise

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cracks are pretty clear. I've got them on an old pair of RLPL EGs in the exact same place but it never really occurred to me that it was a problem with the leather.

Just a combination of use / polish.

i10casual

Reaction score
That is just the mature stage of your shoe. They may last 20 years but they wont look the same the who time. Sorry mate.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think of a "crack" in the leather as an actual hole where the leather has worn through, usually at the point of a crease. As others have noted, there is no such hole visible in this image, just normal creasing.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
The cracks are pretty clear. I've got them on an old pair of RLPL EGs in the exact same place but it never really occurred to me that it was a problem with the leather.

Just a combination of use / polish.

Let's start using the correct terminology. A crease is a crease and cracks are cracks. Creasing is normal whereas cracks means you're pretty much f
ffffuuuu.gif
'd.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Actually, I think some of you are missing the point. EG accept that there is damage and it was caused by a silicone based product, which the OP states he hasn't used. The problem is with the shoes.

well-kept

Reaction score
Completely normal wear. And even if there were much more severe wear, deeper creases etc, that is what happens to good calf shoes over time. It's a badge of honor, not something to be corrected or complained about. EG talking about silicone sounds... well, silly.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Let's start using the correct terminology. A crease is a crease and cracks are cracks. Creasing is normal whereas cracks means you're pretty much f
ffffuuuu.gif
'd.

I know the difference between cracks and creasing. You can see very small cracks in the leather on the crease where the OP has put the red arrow - it's pretty clear.

Still think it's completely normal though. I don't think EG has confirmed that it's actual damage though have they? I think they just said that the effect was caused by silicone based products.

As I said - got this on most shoes over a certain age and it doesn't bother me at all.

Tibo

Reaction score
ouskyt.jpg
Here's my best attempt at capturing in pictures what I'm talking about. Close-up of the shoes without flash. The area I've circled shows cracking in my opinion, while the rest of the shoe on the same horizontal line shows creases. Now let's debate ...

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can now see what you are talking about, and it does appear distinct from what I view as normal creasing. That said, my oldest decent shoes are only 3 years old and so I don't know whether that is "normal" for an older pair.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't tell from the photo either. But many times when shoes crease in this fashion, cracks are at least beginning. The only way you'll know for sure if it is just creasing or actual cracking is to put trees in them such that the whole forepart is stretched flat, or nearly so. Wipe them down good and then take a magnifying glass and look closely at the crease. Examine the edges of the creases. If they are cracking you will see a distinctive difference in the texture of the leather on top and the leather in the crease/crack. And you will see a sharp edge at the top of any crack. The leather in the crack/crease will also be dull. You might even sprinkle a little water on the affected area. If the leather is cracked it will, depending on how much wax/silicone has been applied, soak in. Now having said all that, some conditioning products do contain silicone and/or other chemicals (turpentine, benzine, etc..) that will hasten cracking....even if they don't mention it on the label. And all leather eventually cracks...there used to be an "old shoemaker's tale" that cracking such as this was due to floor level urinals. The point being that acids, acid rain, petroleum products, even road salt, etc....nearly everything, IOW...in the environment can be deleterious.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just saw your latest photo--definitely cracking. It will only get worse. Sorry.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
[
Here's my best attempt at capturing in pictures what I'm talking about. Close-up of the shoes without flash. The area I've circled shows cracking in my opinion, while the rest of the shoe on the same horizontal line shows creases.

Now let's debate ...

I stand corrected, thats uh crack. The problem how EG would solve this problem, because generally happens due negligence. Best of luck.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you just meant the sort of "micro cracks" which were apparent in the first two photos. Your last photo shows something completely different.

Can't imagine anything can be done to remedy that and I'd say that's pretty strange for a shoe which is only a few years old unless you'd never taken care of them.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to recant my prior statements.

Usually people come on this board and ***** about nothing. Your latest picture is different than the normal bitching.

I would be pretty upset if my shoes were in the condition of your latest picture.

Maybe DWFII can comment, but I always find that calfskin that is dyed black seems to crack and crease more dramatically. Maybe it is something in the process of dying calfskin black that stresses the leather more than brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads