• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I cuff these pants???

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a new suit. Spano light tan colored single breasted with peak lapels. Appears to be all silk, or a silk linen blend.

Pants are already hemmed and are a perfect length. They look good as is, but I am wondering about adding cuffs.

I can't decide.

Opinions?

If I do, I am not doing the full 2 inches I have been doing as of late. I think I will try 1 3/4.

Thanks,

Mike

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If its all silk, got some gloss - a slick looking piece - I say no cuffs. However the fabric experts can chime in if a cuff would help an all silk pant drape better. I (shockingly) dont have an all silk suit (yet).

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to make sense to play with them if they are hemmed and fit perfectly already. There are more ways to affect weight/drape than adding visible cuffs.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If its all silk, got some gloss - a slick looking piece - I say no cuffs. However the fabric experts can chime in if a cuff would help an all silk pant drape better. I (shockingly) dont have an all silk suit (yet).

Yeah, it has some gloss/sheen. Not like my SP because it is that rougher silk. The pants are perfect as is, and have heel strips installed and everything...so I hate to mess with them. Actually, the whole suit is near perfect in dimensions. If I didn't want to show more than a faint sliver of shirt cuff, I could wear it as is.

Still, I have become a cuff junky.

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Maybe I will wear it once and ask for opinions before I decide.

Mike

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Just received a new suit. Spano light tan colored single breasted with peak lapels. Appears to be all silk, or a silk linen blend.

Pants are already hemmed and are a perfect length. They look good as is, but I am wondering about adding cuffs.

I can't decide.

Opinions?

If I do, I am not doing the full 2 inches I have been doing as of late. I think I will try 1 3/4.

Thanks,

Mike

Why did you not ascertain what it is made of before purchase? Seems a bit odd to say the least.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Why did you not ascertain what it is made of before purchase? Seems a bit odd to say the least.

I'm guessing it was thrifted.
Mike, rougher silk? Dupioni? Pics please.
STP had a nice looking Belvest that I'm still kicking myself for not buying (so I could channel my inner Michael Corleone).

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ What he said - if the trouser length is perfect, and they're already hemmed, leave well enough alone (and the hem reinforcement should do the job of adding a bit of extra weight for proper drape).

As much as I'm a cuff junkie as well, the world is a place large enough for cuffed AND uncuffed suit trousers.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say cuff everything, especially suits. I have one suit that I had done with no cuffs on the advice of someone else and I just think the pants look unfinished that way.

Oh yeah - 1 3/4 inch is ideal for me.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

It has no content label. I know it is silk. It was advertised as linen.

Originally Posted by KObalto
I'm guessing it was thrifted.
Mike, rougher silk? Dupioni? Pics please.
STP had a nice looking Belvest that I'm still kicking myself for not buying (so I could channel my inner Michael Corleone).

Not thrifted. It is a "castoff" as PaoloM would say. It was from the B&S.

Let me see if I can find the ad and steal a pic.

The biggest bummer was that after close inspection, the sleeves have working buttons. Now, it is a nice touch, but they are a hair too long. I could probably trim a hlaf inch without it looking too odd.

Mike

EDIT:

Here are some pics. Second one shows the material, which is clearly silk. Fortunately, it is very light as silk wears hot.

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Bump.

Maybe I will wear it once and ask for opinions before I decide.

Mike

Pics would help. I tend to cuff everything, especially suit pants, but yours may look fine as is.

Montrachet

Reaction score
I only cuff with notch lapels. Not as a rule, just as per my taste.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it. Looks like dupioni to me. I would not cuff. Here is your namesake's suit:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=63691
Geary: Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country in oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans. I'll do business with you but the fact is that I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself. Yourself and your whole f--king family.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Love it. Looks like dupioni to me. I would not cuff. Here is your namesake's suit:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=63691
Geary: Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come out to this clean country in oily hair and dressed up in those silk suits, and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans. I'll do business with you but the fact is that I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself. Yourself and your whole f--king family.

Yeah, I agree. Not quite as much sheen or slubbiness as Michael's though.

Well, this will save me tailoring fees. Basically, all I need to do is let it hang so the wrinkles come out and wear it.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads