• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
5164805796_a807f96f4b_o-copy.jpg

******* hippies.
laugh.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
******* hippies.
laugh.gif

My god. Every school book I had in grammar school looked like that. Hell, that might have been one of them.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Somebody posted a video taken inside Toyo Ito's Sendai Mediatheque during the earthquake. The building made it through the earthquake with minimal damage.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
SendaiMediatheque3.jpg
307724675_72e059a4be_b.jpg
702027311_53c5e00398_b.jpg

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
A beautiful house tarnished by the ubiquitous "ironic" chandelier. I wish that **** would stop already.
I find the baroque, formal chandelier and sconces a brilliant contrast to the modern minimalist architecture.

The owner is obviously an astute collector, and the interior is highly curated (although I admit the Paul Evans sideboard thing is starting to get popular...but at prices approaching 100 grand, it won't get that popular).

What would have been a real shame, is seeing the inside of this home look like a page out of Dwell magazine...full of Nelson & Eames ****.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The chandelier has electric candles with drip pans. It's marsupialed from now until eternity.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here designed their own house, or rather, the look of it, then handed it off to an architect? How is it done? I always dream of a house built into the natural rocks, not unlike some the previous posts. But who knows when or where I'll end up building a home, so it's somewhat moot to design a house based on unknown natural features.

I designed the upstairs floor (partly/kinda) when I was 8 or so to my family house. My father is a carpanter, and designed the entirety of our small but great home, so as the eldest son, who would be sharing a bedroom with brothers, I got my say haha.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I find the baroque, formal chandelier and sconces a brilliant contrast to the modern minimalist architecture.

The owner is obviously an astute collector, and the interior is highly curated (although I admit the Paul Evans sideboard thing is starting to get popular...but at prices approaching 100 grand, it won't get that popular).

What would have been a real shame, is seeing the inside of this home look like a page out of Dwell magazine...full of Nelson & Eames ****.

Really?

It's a clichè as old as the hills, it's staid and extremely dowdy, and, especially in that context, it absolutely looks like sh*t.

Being "astute" has its drawbacks, evidently...that and/or typical "genius creative interior designer" crap.

Nelson/Eames/simpler would be fine there. Nothing wrong with that stuff, despite Dwell's lack of any real influence.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Herzog & de Meuron are working on the transformation of a 19th century Hong Kong prison into an art gallery. Hong Kong has run out of prisoners to keep the jail operational.

Hong-Kong-Jail-Turned-Into-Art-Space.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
There's a great old prison here that hasn't been used since the Watts Riots, and since the 30s prior to that. Wish the city would do something interesting with it.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Capital R
It's a clichè as old as the hills, it's staid and extremely dowdy, and, especially in that context, it absolutely looks like sh*t.
The context is exactly what makes it not "cliche". The interior of this home is about as far from cliche as you can get. The only thing even remotely cliche might be those Biedermeier inspired Ted Muehling bronze candlesticks on the dining table. But they work, so what the fook.
Being "astute" has its drawbacks, evidently...that and/or typical "genius creative interior designer" crap.
Why...because "you" think so? If she went on a shopping spree at DWR...then she would have "taste"? Hardly....this woman obviously has an actual sense of personal style, and a very good eye for art and antiques. The "new" furniture was designed by the architect and the rest is the owners personal collection...I doubt a "designer" was employed, and I'm sure the woman has never seen the inside of a big box furniture store (unlike most of you here it would seem). If the interior looked like a Lenny Kravitz apartment or something designed by Kelly Werstler, then it would look like "genius creative interior designer" crap.
Nelson/Eames/simpler would be fine there.
Fantastic...so when you purchase a site and commission Olson Kundig to build your house, when it's done, you can run down to DWR and then prove what an original you are.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The context is exactly what makes it not "cliche".
This thing has been played out since 1950. It's like indie bands covering ganster rap songs. The first three times it was clever. Then it became ridiculous. In general I hate overhead lighting fixtures for a couple reasons: 1) They are almost ALWAYS loud and obnoxious. Every person designing one is motivated by the minuscule chance that they can create an iconic lighting fixture, so they always swing for the fences. and 2) They have very poor light distribution characteristics because the thought process in their design is solely an aesthetic one. They are almost exclusively used in large rooms for ornamental effect and they have a very poor ability to distribute the light evenly over the entire space. That means they are usually excessively blinding and non-functional. Now that we have electric lights, there's little reason to suspend unfiltered lights four feet from the ceiling like candle chandeliers of the 18th century necessitated. Houses should have quality lighting integrated into the actual form of the spaces for consistency.
johnpawson1.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Capital R
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Okey-dokey, then,
teacha.gif

You like it; I think it's horrendous. We have different tastes.

It IS a clichè, however; the modernist house/decorative furnishings "contrast effect" has been done many, many times, often with an ugly result, and is a pretty stale "idea".

I have never shopped at DWR, and I don't really care where the client shopped. Just doesn't work for me.

Big deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads