• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yesssir
Can you put up a pic of your quoddys? I'm curioius if they look the same irl compared to their pics online.

They ones I ordered look similar to the pics, I'll try to take some photos and post over the weekend

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Great summary. Interesting that you were able to get 20% off an order that included Quoddys.

Other people on SF have been able to get the discount on Alden shoes using the 20% offer in the catalog. I'm guessing J Crew's online systems simply aren't advanced enough to tell the difference (they have had issues with their website in the past).

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Other people on SF have been able to get the discount on Alden shoes using the 20% offer in the catalog. I'm guessing J Crew's online systems simply aren't advanced enough to tell the difference (they have had issues with their website in the past).

Now that you have broadcasted this for everyone to know, including the folks at J. Crew who no doubt read this forum, I'm sure this will cease to work any day now.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Now that you have broadcasted this for everyone to know, including the folks at J. Crew who no doubt read this forum, I'm sure this will cease to work any day now.

Fair

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
FREESHIP = free shipping? Nice! I could use that.

I was thinking about picking up some of their Corgi socks, even though they're expensive as ****. Anybody have any experience with them? Why are they so damn expensive?

I just posted about Corgi socks for sale at Crew last week (not sure they'd even been mentioned in this thread before that) -- http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=523

Corgi's a very special company -- located in Wales, personal attention to detail & finishing goes into their stuff. High quality. I have several pairs & love'm. Cudos to Crew for helping to bring them a wider appreciation (...that is, I hope it's a good thing...)

You might try a pair and see what you think.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Couple of heads ups

1) I got my order of the neck and sleeve dress shirts. I orded two, a blue stripe and what they claimed to be a purple check (seems more blue to me).. The dress shirts fit the neck and sleeve TTS and seem similar to their standard button down shirt fit (if you like it slimmer, go with their slim fit). But I could wear these shirts legitimately with my standard business wear.

2) I also got my Quoddy suede mocs in cognac. They fit TTS, so don't size down. I have a wide foot and they are snug initially, but given the soft suede, I expect them to mold to my feet. I will spray with suede protectant before wearing out.

3) I also ordered some "essential" chinos. They are very good. Size down one, chinos stretch out.

4) Separately, I got a card in the mail for a 20% off sale on all items purchased IN STORE until April 11. The card can be used multiple times. The normal J Crew caveats apply - no "third party branded" merchandise. However, we all know those caveats are negotiable.

I got a similar card but It only applies to purchases of 150 and up in stores.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon

relax...it gets posted every month or so when the coupons come out and they continue to work. Really, you don't think a company like J Crew could figure out how to turn those items off if they wanted to? They've done it before...I think they actively choose to let the discounts be used on those products, they just advertise that they can't to appease those suppliers. Just a theory.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
images_eiec_25_25891_25891_BL8133_tif_759d0b33f9711854.jpg
Saw this at the Boston Copley store ($98) and the Wrentham outlet store ($88). This seems to be from last year's S/S but are not on sale. if anyone have this in medium and want to sale it please PM me.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
relax...it gets posted every month or so when the coupons come out and they continue to work. Really, you don't think a company like J Crew could figure out how to turn those items off if they wanted to? They've done it before...I think they actively choose to let the discounts be used on those products, they just advertise that they can't to appease those suppliers. Just a theory.

I am very relaxed, thank you.

flytothesky

Reaction score
does anyone know if the sweater is available? I can't find it anywhere online.
images_onFigure_36_36761_36761_BL8774_m_tif_8af50b6a25d5188b.jpg

bluefields

Reaction score
grabbed a few basic slim tees and a madras shirt, thanks for the heads up about the freeship.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Anyone got an opinion on these Levis selvedge 501s?: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/th...~~~~/24611.jsp Seems like a pretty good price for selvedge but I don't know how they fit etc.
Levis sells them in their store (not exactly the same wash, as J Crew gets custom ones, but not too different, either) for $96; I got mine on sale for 20% less than that. But only certain Levis stores carry them. So the price at J Crew is high; but might be the only option if you don't have access to a high end Levis store. I think they are nice. They have the new 501 fit - there is a thread here about them. Edit: Here's the thread on new 501 fit. They say it is a bit slimmer. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=89082

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Levis sells them in their store (not exactly the same wash, as J Crew gets custom ones, but not too different, either) for $96; I got mine on sale for 20% less than that. But only certain Levis stores carry them. So the price at J Crew is high; but might be the only option if you don't have access to a high end Levis store. I think they are nice. They have the new 501 fit - there is a thread here about them. Edit: Here's the thread on new 501 fit. They say it is a bit slimmer. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=89082
Great info - thanks. That does seem high. At retail, I think I'd rather move up to Levi's Vintage.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Yeah, I think I'll go to the Levi's vintage store within a store in SF:

http://www.mistermort.com/2010/12/ta...more-flan.html

I went in once but was sorta lost, didnt really know what to look for.

Oh, if you are in SF, you should be able to find them if they still make them. That vintage store looks great!

Levis are one item that J Crew really crosses the line on pricing - even compared to their usually high-end prices. But I suppose it comes from the pricing of their J Crew branded jeans; they couldn't really sell the Levis for less than their own brand. And they actually have them in stock, unlike most Levis stores. But I don't think they sell much, either; there was a huge amount of Levis selvedge reported as being on sale last time they have their big in-store sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads