• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
looking for some loafers to kick around in this spring. any suggestions? think i might want something tassle-y. any thoughts on the AE Grayson?
I own a pair. Very happy with them. I picked up the shell cordovan version and they really stand up to a beating.
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Attending a summer wedding which is apparently going to be held on a beach. Seersucker suit + white bucks acceptable?
Seersucker and white bucks is fine. The go-to shoe for Seersucker in my mind is light tan, but if the wedding is anything like most of the weddings I've been to recently you'll be one of the few not wearing sandals. EDIT - Although, I am looking forward to wearing the AE Strawfuts in brown/linen with seersucker this summer...

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
tried this in sw&d only got one response (was a good one though) any thoughts here?

Many shoemakers carry suede chukkas. Some SF-popular/favorite and readily available choices are Crockett & Jones Tetbury, and Alden unlined chukka boots. There are also cheaper options by Loake 1880 and Clark desert boots.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Many shoemakers carry suede chukkas. Some SF-popular/favorite and readily available choices are Crockett & Jones Tetbury, and Alden unlined chukka boots. There are also cheaper options by Loake 1880 and Clark desert boots.

2 replies, same answer, must be a winner. thanks guys

Staggerlee

Reaction score
I wear a 10.5, sometimes 11. I have a pair of Bruno Magli's in 10.5 that fit well. Would 10.5 work for AE?

Thank you.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Should I pick this up?
http://cgi.ebay.com/4150-Rare-TOM-FO...ht_3214wt_1132
I've wanted that particular sport coat since I first saw it at the Madison Avenue boutique a few years back; luckily, this one is in my size, and at a reduced price. The cerulean blue is probably my favorite color, however, how versatile do you think it will be? Are there a fair amount of options to pair with a jacket like this? I'd like to be able to get my money's worth out of it, but I don't want to wear it like a uniform every time with white pants as shown in the lookbook:
models3-36399.jpg

Thoughts/opinions?

Seems like any shade of light khaki would go well with that or maybe some light grey pants, after that it might get tricky. Maybe black/grey jeans or more brown khakis in later summer?

Originally Posted by Mousse
What would be your choice for a versatile second pair of shoes (after black)? Dark brown, Merlot or Walnut?
Merlot instead of black, but probably dark brown first. (Unless you have a black suit, then probably black shoes)

Originally Posted by thenanyu
Attending a summer wedding which is apparently going to be held on a beach. Seersucker suit + white bucks acceptable?
Bucks at the beach kinda bothers me for some reason, I suppose I have this idea of a tropical beach and well I was barefoot at my beach wedding. Maybe a boat shoe/summer loafer or nicer leather sandals depending on the formality and how ugly your toes are? Unless then is like an east coast beach and it's really mostly on a lawn, then bucks.
fing02[1].gif

zerostyle

Reaction score
Question:

Is there any reason to buy leather-soled shoes if I plan on immediately adding a vibram/topy sole protector?

I walk roughly 2 miles each day (1 mile to and 1 mile back). They take a real beating.

If the point of leather soles is to "breathe" - is there really any point in getting them to start if I am just going to cover that leather with a vibram/topy?

The leather edges and toes are scuffed to hell and look terrible after only a few wears. (See my earlier post).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Is there any reason to buy leather-soled shoes if I plan on immediately adding a vibram/topy sole protector?
Practically, no. Make sure it's not a glue job though.
I walk roughly 2 miles each day (1 mile to and 1 mile back). They take a real beating.
That's nothing, most people here walk more than that, leather soles are more durable than one may think. Rotation helps too of course.
The leather edges and toes are scuffed to hell and look terrible after only a few wears. (See my earlier post).
Edge dressing.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Practically, no. Make sure it's not a glue job though.

Out of curiosity- what is the proper way of applying a topy if not glue.

__PG__

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a basted tie? I recently bought this item:

184973_10150109442049709_35096719708_6253376_122195_n.jpg

Are the stitches through the tie purely for show?
Should the be removed?
Can they be removed without the tie falling apart?

I tore one of the stitches this morning and now there is too much tension at the tip of the tie.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe

The question wasn't whether to apply a Topy, but whether to forego leather soles altogether. So, "make sure it's not a glue job" means, "get a properly welted non-leather sole."

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he meant that if you don't buy a shoe with a leather sole, making sure the shoe isn't a glue job. Meaning a decent welted shoe, even if the sole is rubber.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what I meant:

Originally Posted by pstoller
The question wasn't whether to apply a Topy, but whether to forego leather soles altogether. So, "make sure it's not a glue job" means, "get a properly welted non-leather sole."

Originally Posted by cptjeff
I think he meant that if you don't buy a shoe with a leather sole, making sure the shoe isn't a glue job. Meaning a decent welted shoe, even if the sole is rubber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads