• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
An interesting fail, at least to me. I love this shirt with either a solid blue silk or blue pindot tie. Today, we're sitting under a marine layer, and it felt cold, so I wore a cashmere tie and the shirt looks way too vibrant. With a silk, it recedes into the background.

IMG_0065.jpg

It's bold but not too bold to my eyes, especially given that the whites are slightly blown out by the camera.

Originally Posted by Manton
Mid gray 15 ounce shark, pale blue broadcloth, Irish poplin tie, white linen hank, brown croc belt, blue w/red check wool socks, brown shell rain boots:

7IG11.jpg

5D0ek.jpg

mQE8X.jpg

This looks great.

I like the look of regimental/association ties, but don't feel I could wear one on this side of the pond. It does somewhat limit the choice of striped ties.

Originally Posted by elgreco
Throwing my hat into the ring. Here is what I wore today. You'll have to excuse the lousy iPhone bathroom shot because I don't have a proper full-length mirror and my point&shoot is on loan to my dad.

Also, before anyone says "needs pocket square," explain to me why it's necessary.

5533122977_c6e8ee07c4_b.jpg

The stripes are a tad wider than I generally like, but they don't look bad. A PS breaks up the symmetry more effectively than an empty pocket, and assymmetry is generally more pleasing to the human eye.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
A PS breaks up the symmetry more effectively than an empty pocket, and assymmetry is generally more pleasing to the human eye.

Really? Then it must be my own personal preference for symmetry. Either way, I think I've let my PS collection languish of late, so I don't really have any squares which complement my tie collection. Plus I like have the breast pocket open for sunglasses, etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mid gray 15 ounce shark, pale blue broadcloth, Irish poplin tie, white linen hank, brown croc belt, blue w/red check wool socks, brown shell rain boots:

5D0ek.jpg

Dang, I love how heavy cloth drapes.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Today
:
photoon20110317at0746.jpg

A better lit shot of sportcoat:
dsc09392my.jpg

Apologies for the imageshackfail but I don't have another hosting account.

I don't know that I'd describe this as conservative business dress even without the lining
smile.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc09392my.jpg

Wow.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Today:

dsc09392my.jpg

Droll, dwarf.

Try this, you don't need an account:

imgur.com

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today:
dsc09392my.jpg

Droll, dwarf. Try this, you don't need an account: imgur.com
The sportcoat is a blue Harris tweed, so the true color is somewhere between the two images. It has Donegal-like flecks of yellow, electric blue and red shot throughout.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's:

20110317detail.jpg

I normally wear a solid navy or dark brown tie with this shirt, but I think this works. Thoughts?

20110317shoes.jpg

Yes Derbies, but I think the days when only Oxfords would do with a business suit are passed for all but the most formal of occasions...

20110317pockets.jpg

Failed to get an in-focus full-length shot, but the suit is a fairly boring hard-three with ticket pocket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The sportcoat is a blue Harris tweed, so the true color is somewhere between the two images. It has Donegal-like flecks of yellow, electric blue and red shot throughout.

I have a coat very close, if not identical, to that.

Not conservative business dress at all but I like it. Not crazy about the tie. However, unlike others here, I do like the yellow shirt. I think it's a trad/prep/whatever classic.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yours is a friendly shetland, no? This is the heavy scratchy Harris Tweed, though I wear it a lot, so it has softened a bit.
Not conservative business dress at all but I like it. Not crazy about the tie. However, unlike others here, I do like the yellow shirt. I think it's a trad/prep/whatever classic.
Do you like it even less or more now that you know it is silk twill?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yours is a friendly shetland, no? This is the heavy scratchy Harris Tweed, though I wear it a lot, so it has softened a bit.
No, mine is a Harris as well. Same pattern, same color or close, plus flecks.

Do you like it even less or more now that you know it is silk twill?
I could tell it was silk twll. I just have never liked those H&H (or H&H-inspired) animal/country/outdoorsy cartoon ties. It goes fine with what you are wearing, I am just not a fan.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I happen to be wearing a donegal coat with yellow OCBD today.

Aside from the tie, Dopey's rig wouldn't raise eyebrows in my parts, at least not for regular daily wear.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing with the theme of the week.

Dior-Blue_031711_01.jpg

Dior-Blue_031711_02.jpg

Dior-Blue_031711_03.jpg

Dior-Blue_031711_04.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some green de rigueur today...

IMG01363-20110317-1003.jpg

IMG01345-20110317-0955.jpg

IMG01331-20110317-0952.jpg

IMG01367-20110317-1019.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads