• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I start investing with a modest saving's account?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a senior in college about to graduate. Still looking for a job, interviewing here and there. I have a modest amount of savings I've accumulated throughout my tenure at college (less than $10k but more than $5K, which is unarguably laughable to some of the big timers out there lol) and I'm trying to figure out what I can do with this instead of it just letting it rot away in my account.

I'm aware that small capital = small gains, but hey, gotta start somewhere, right? Should I just wait until I get a full-time job and accumulate more capital and then start investing? What should I invest in? I actually wouldn't mind investing in some riskier assets/equity for higher returns, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Also, another question I have concerns 401ks. My plan is to max out my 401k contribution each and every single time, but I'm starting to wonder whether that's worth it, considering that that money will be locked away until I can take it out decades later. I'm sort of thinking that maybe I should contribute a modest sum (say, a couple hundred each time) and invest the rest of the money that I would be contributing into something else.

Does anyone have any insight? I love nice things and love money, but I've come to terms that I need to live with as small a budget as possible and invest as much money as possible so I can take advantage of compounding gains.

I really have no idea where to start, and while I do realize there are a lot of investor guides and books out there, I'd rather hear some surface level tips from SFers. After getting an idea of what would be best, I will look further into it, whether it be by books or advisors or whatnot.

So yeah, where the hell do I begin?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me some advice!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this is a very very good move on your part and I admire you for it, seriously. wish I did this when I was your age.

anyways, there are many ways to invest, primarily depending on how much risk you're willing to take. if I were you I'd talk to an investment manager you like and trust to know what your options and goals are. good luck!

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Max out your 401K, especially if your prospective employer will match part of the contribution. Also look into saving in either a Roth OR regular Individual Retirement Account.

Whatever you do, learn something about investing, how to read corporate balance sheets, and annual reports. There is probably a good class at your college in the business department on personal investing, or maybe at a college near you after you get a job.

Learn about bonds and how they work - e.g. the price of a bond goes in the opposite direction of the interest rate, and is also affected by the term of the bond. For instance, now is not a good time to get into bonds, with prevailing interest rates being relatively low, and the Fed pumping up the money supply, higher interest rates will occur at some point in the future, before they will go down. In this case, you would get killed on the price of the bonds when the interest rates do go up.

Learn about portfolio diversification - "don't put all your eggs in one basket". If you do a search of the forums, you will find several books recommended on the subject. The best advice: educate yourself.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I should max out my 401k, despite there possibly being other investment opportunities out there that could yield better returns? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand whether maxing out my contributions is always the best solution. One of the firms I'm waiting to hear back from said that they match 50% of their employee's contributions. I sure hope I get this job..!!!

That being said, does anyone have any experience with mortgage REITs? How about bank loan funds?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any debts? Best investment for this kind of money is to pay of debts.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
So I should max out my 401k, despite there possibly being other investment opportunities out there that could yield better returns? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand whether maxing out my contributions is always the best solution. One of the firms I'm waiting to hear back from said that they match 50% of their employee's contributions. I sure hope I get this job..!!!

That being said, does anyone have any experience with mortgage REITs? How about bank loan funds?

Yes, if they match it's free money, and if they don't it's still worth the tax incentive. If you have money left over open a brokerage acct and play with options until a) you lose it all and you get the risk out of your system or b) you get rich. Win-win.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
good thread kiddo. good luck. i wish i'd put a bit away at your age.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
y wife and I started saving for y son's education around 2 onths after his birth. We have 7 accounts in 7 different utual funds and put 5000 INR in each every onth through s systeatic investent plan (SIP). So 35000 INR (~775 USD at todays rate) every onth. We dont intend to withdraw it before his 18th b'day. THinking was to put away enough to get hi through college even if y business / other savings etc went totally bust.
ffffuuuu.gif
the on y keyboard is not working. y suggestions 1. DOnt put all your dough in one place or at one tie, spread it over tie 2. Put it for the long ter so you are unaffected by the short ter swings of the arket

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you may want to get your M key looked at there AJ
smile.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you make a lot of money right out of school, I wouldn't suggest *maxing* your 401k (as in contributing up to the legal limit).

I would suggest contributing at least as much as your employer will match.

Take 5K of what you have now and open a roth IRA (doesn't even have to be all 5k). You can still count this as a 2010 contribution if you act fast. Since you probably paid very little to no taxes on this money as a student...the downside of the roth (having to pay taxes first) doesn't apply and you will be able to grow the money tax free forever.

Part of the magic of compounding interest is that if you get started with a large amount early (sadly, most people do not graduate college with 5k in an IRA and intentions to immediately contribute to a 401k and IRA when they start working) you will have to worry less about making large contributions later. this should release you your fears about locking up too much money...it will give you extra spending money 10-15 years from now when other people get an oh **** moment and start contributing on an accelerated schedule.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
y wife and I started saving for y son's education around 2 onths after his birth. We have 7 accounts in 7 different utual funds and put 5000 INR in each every onth through s systeatic investent plan (SIP). So 35000 INR (~775 USD at todays rate) every onth. We dont intend to withdraw it before his 18th b'day.

THinking was to put away enough to get hi through college even if y business / other savings etc went totally bust.

ffffuuuu.gif
the on y keyboard is not working.

y suggestions

1. DOnt put all your dough in one place or at one tie, spread it over tie
2. Put it for the long ter so you are unaffected by the short ter swings of the arket

What's your definition of long term? I want to take advantage of compounding returns by reinvesting returns.. so if I keep some equity locked up for the long term, then I wouldn't be able to do that necessarily. Of course, my/your definition of long term largely defines that outcome.

I wouldn't mind looking into riskier assets (i.e. mortgage REITs).

Also, if I were to start investing right now, at approximately what age will I start to see the fruits of my investments? In other words, how old will I be when the "I'm so ******* glad I invested at that age" statement comes out, considering I'm only 22 right now? I know that largely depends on what I invest in, but just to get a general feel. Five years from now? Ten?

Originally Posted by otc
Unless you make a lot of money right out of school, I wouldn't suggest

*maxing* your 401k (as in contributing up to the legal limit).

I would suggest contributing at least as much as your employer will match.

Take 5K of what you have now and open a roth IRA (doesn't even have to be all 5k). You can still count this as a 2010 contribution if you act fast. Since you probably paid very little to no taxes on this money as a student...the downside of the roth (having to pay taxes first) doesn't apply and you will be able to grow the money tax free forever.

Part of the magic of compounding interest is that if you get started with a large amount early (sadly, most people do not graduate college with 5k in an IRA and intentions to immediately contribute to a 401k and IRA when they start working) you will have to worry less about making large contributions later. this should release you your fears about locking up too much money...it will give you extra spending money 10-15 years from now when other people get an oh **** moment and start contributing on an accelerated schedule.

Cool. I will look into that. Did you do the same? I searched through some threads and saw that you invest in mortgage REITs. Did you start doing that once you got a job and started having income? Is it even worth it to look at REITs with my capital right now?

BTW, thanks again everyone for the tips!

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
What's your definition of long term? I want to take advantage of compounding returns by reinvesting returns.. so if I keep some equity locked up for the long term, then I wouldn't be able to do that necessarily. Of course, my/your definition of long term largely defines that outcome.

I wouldn't mind looking into riskier assets (i.e. mortgage REITs).

Also, if I were to start investing right now, at approximately what age will I start to see the fruits of my investments? In other words, how old will I be when the "I'm so ******* glad I invested at that age" statement comes out, considering I'm only 22 right now? I know that largely depends on what I invest in, but just to get a general feel. Five years from now? Ten?

Your perspective and mine will be very different. I was offering very general inputs on how I am trying to build a what I hope will be a very nice nest egg/ fallback for my son.

I am an Indian (dot, not feather) and a huge believer in India's future. Though the equity market here may be down for some short period of time, I believe that they are north bound over the longer period.

You mentioned 2 time periods, 5 years and 10. I think both are very good. Even 2 years is good IMO barring a fiasco.

Here is a comparison between India's National Stock Exchange and Dow Jones over the last 10 years. Though they may be 2 year period where a negative return is yielded, I dont think over a 5 year period there is a negative return.

However, it seems that the DJIA gave a 10% return over the last 10 years. Ouch

ijYXs8.JPG

v0rtex

Reaction score
Read Dave Ramsey, he's great for starting out. Follow up with Richest Man in Babylon and Millionaire Next Door.

Ramsey's advice is not that exciting (pay off all your non-mortgage debt, hold 3-6 months expenses in cash, invest 15% into IRAs/pre-tax) but it is solid financial advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads