• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Depends on year and mileage, but generally yes. SV650 prices are usually a bit high in the used markets because they are pretty popular track bikes.

It's an 04 with around 9k miles.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bikecrack.jpg
It also has a crack in the fairing where it was laid down. Didn't see the crack before
facepalm.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The _frame_ or the fairing? If the frame is cracked, walk away.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The _frame_ or the fairing? If the frame is cracked, walk away.

Fairing
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
Sorry, that's not the frame but the fairings. You might want to make sure the frame is not damaged and the front suspsension is in good shape.
Check out a site called SV rider. Lots of useful tips and they have a classified section too.
Personally I would shop around.
Good luck.

Thank you I will check it out
smile.gif

foulard

Reaction score
OK apart from the Thruxton and the Ducati Sport Classic, here is another bike which I think is in the running. What about the Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
How big are you? I am 182cm and while I love the look of the Guzzi, I find it a bit small. It also has significantly less power than a Thruxton, though I found it adequate for riding in the city and on motorways for shorter (<200km) distances. (Impressions based on a week-long road test of one.) Fantastically simple and robust machine though. If you do your own maintenance, one I would highly consider. No more complex than a BMW R75/5 really.

foulard

Reaction score
How big are you? I am 182cm and while I love the look of the Guzzi, I find it a bit small. It also has significantly less power than a Thruxton, though I found it adequate for riding in the city and on motorways for shorter (<200km) distances. (Impressions based on a week-long road test of one.) Fantastically simple and robust machine though. If you do your own maintenance, one I would highly consider. No more complex than a BMW R75/5 really.

Im only 178cm tall. I only do city driving (usually on one of my vespas). I want something more powerful than my vespa obviously but I dont like really powerful bikes to be frank. I find them a little disconcerting somehow.

How would you compare the looks of the Guzzi with the Thruxton and Ducati?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I think the Guzzi is better looking - more harmonious and genuinely looks like a classic Tonti frame Guzzi - the tank shape is right, the colors are right. The detail bits and finish on it are impressive. As a city bike, it'd be great. It's not superspeedy but it has a sweet, tractable motor and a very pleasant demeanor. Suspension is undersprung rubbish, but that's true of every bike. The green one (Cafe Classic) is mega in the looks department.

In America, Guzzi dealers are few and far between, but if you have a good dealer locally, I'd highly recommend it! Now I'm tempted to swap one of my bikes for one!

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Oh yeah - one other thing - the Guzzi has a plastic (of some type) fuel tank, just like the Sport Classic. There haven't been any reports of them getting misshapen, like the Duc tanks, but it does preclude you from using a magnetic tankbag, which some people find annoying. I am afraid of scratches in the paint, so I never use a tankbag, but it is worth mentioning.

foulard

Reaction score
Oh yeah - one other thing - the Guzzi has a plastic (of some type) fuel tank, just like the Sport Classic. There haven't been any reports of them getting misshapen, like the Duc tanks, but it does preclude you from using a magnetic tankbag, which some people find annoying. I am afraid of scratches in the paint, so I never use a tankbag, but it is worth mentioning.

I'm so keen now.

In Australia they also have a racer model which is sort of silver/chrome, but somehow looks a bit too much or overdone.

The V7cafe is also available in white here. I sort of like the white too.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The racer model is well overdone. And silly on a 50hp bike. The white is nice, as is the green, and the new black/gold. In Europe they got a nice black/orange V7S replica scheme too, which is very cool, but never came to America. Don't know about Oz.

foulard

Reaction score
The racer model is well overdone. And silly on a 50hp bike. The white is nice, as is the green, and the new black/gold. In Europe they got a nice black/orange V7S replica scheme too, which is very cool, but never came to America. Don't know about Oz.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and find out. I'll let you know.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that is nice looking. But 50 HP? Why not just get an older Guzzi or something like an R100S?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Why not just get an older Guzzi
I'd probably get a 1000SP or 850 T3, but a lot of people don't want to deal with Dell'Orto carbs, flaking cylinder liners, and potentially, um, adventurous Italian electrics.

Originally Posted by j
or something like an R100S?
Because its jugs are sagging! No, seriously, R bikes are ok, but the low-compression R100 is not much fun. An R75/5 would be an alternative to the V7, but would require more maintenance. /6s are just ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads