• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
The early Santana is great not sure about the present stuff but no denying the man's talent.

I saw McLaughlin with Shakti back at the Palais at St Kilda in 1979. And then last year with Chick Corea at the Opera House.

I saw Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin when I was a youngster. Jaw dropping.

Going to see Elvis Costello for about the tenth time.

teeo

Reaction score
hi guys, wanting to know if anyone's tried www.bespoked.com.au for the shirts?
i understand that they measure here and get it made elsewhere.. but is it good quality for the price for whoever has tried them?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I'll bet, but only natural seeing how much larger than Sydney London is.

How is it natural? Tokyo is larger than Sydney and has a very efficient and clean rail network by comparison. Size of city has nothing to do with it - inept management and under-investment does.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Not going to much as I always seem to find out about the good stuff when they have already been through Sydney and it's too late. I need to get out from under my rock.

Case in point... Justin Townes Earle - I would have gone but missed it. Granted, he is doing a final festival spot in the Mountains on Sunday but no can do.

All the Blues Fest dudes are swinging through Melbourne in the one week. Its a pity as there are many clashes - I'd love to see George Clinton and Parliament + Funkadelic - but its better than not having the acts here at all. Do they do the same with Sydney?

Justin Townes Earle is great by all accounts - I'll be missing him I think.

Originally Posted by jaypee
MX5?
eh.gif

I have Bob tickets, taking the old man. Quiet excited for it.

Jaypee - always good to see Bob - last time I saw him two nights in a row at same venue - two different concerts. Just make sure you understand that Bob lives on stage and every night he tries to keep it fresh - different set list, different interpretations - its no old dude playing his hits like you knew them. I've been to Bob concert where idiots were complaining he wasn't doing Blowing in the Wind on acoustic guitar.

Ernesto - yeah I've seen Costello a fair few times - always good. The first time he was out here years ago it was at Palaise and he didn't say a word - just came out on stage a ripped through about 20 x 2 minutes songs loudly with no breaks in between and then left - no encore.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Walked past Carlos Santana in the street today. Resplendent in casual earth tones, a flat cap and a fine looking woman on his arm.

Would have loved to have caught the Santana concert. Sadly yesterday was the GF's 30th which put paid to that idea (though she did give me one of those 'oh if you really want to go, you can go' speeches - ha, like I'm that stupid!).

Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela? Their show is fantastic.

Saw them last time they were here and I second your thoughts on their shows.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
^ I'm just annoyed I missed Primus on their Sydney tour a few weeks back.

My musician offspring saw then at the day thingo and at a night gig - both times with Melvins too. Feedback was Primus was good but Melvins were great.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Ernesto - yeah I've seen Costello a fair few times - always good. The first time he was out here years ago it was at Palaise and he didn't say a word - just came out on stage a ripped through about 20 x 2 minutes songs loudly with no breaks in between and then left - no encore.

Would have been amazing to see. A friend of mine was at that concert as well. First time I saw him was on the King of America tour. Brought James Burton with him. Nick Lowe was the support act.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
All the Blues Fest dudes are swinging through Melbourne in the one week. Its a pity as there are many clashes - I'd love to see George Clinton and Parliament + Funkadelic - but its better than not having the acts here at all. Do they do the same with Sydney?

Justin Townes Earle is great by all accounts - I'll be missing him I think.

JTE is playing the Forum tomorrow. I have never seen him live (though he plays on Steve Earle's live album from a few years ago) but I like his recorded music and have also heard good things about his shows.

Yes, we also get a live music over-supply around Easter each year.

Waifs have a new record out and I think they are touring it as they are on the bill for the Blue Mountains festival as well - I should do some research...

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Would have been amazing to see. A friend of mine was at that concert as well. First time I saw him was on the King of America tour. Brought James Burton with him. Nick Lowe was the support act.

I do so love that album - I play it a lot...on vinyl (has a great cover).

First time I saw him was the painted from memory tour he did just with Steve Nieve about 12 years ago. Great live show.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin when I was a youngster. Jaw dropping. Going to see Elvis Costello for about the tenth time.
Elvis would be fun, last time I saw him was a few years back with the SSO at the Opera House, pity I can't fit into those stove pipe 28W trousers anymore. The Melbourne Jazz festival looks good Sonny Rollins I saw about two years ago and my god can that man still wail, Ron Carter would also be a must see. Now if I can only arrange to work in Melbourne that week.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Elvis sounds like fun, pity I can't fit into those stove pipe 28W trousers anymore.

but, do you still have the black suede elastic sided winklepickers and pale pink penguin shirt to go with them?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that was his concert I enjoyed the most - especially when he came out with the boombox (a la Talking Heads Tour) and did the opening song. Nick Lowe is a minor hero of mine.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elvis would be fun, last time I saw him was a few years back with the SSO at the Opera House, pity I can't fit into those stove pipe 28W trousers anymore.

The Melbourne Jazz festival looks good Sonny Rollins I saw about two years ago and my god can that man still wail, Ron Carter would also be a must see. Now if I can only arrange to work in Melbourne that week.

Herbie Hancock is coming out too.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I think that was his concert I enjoyed the most - especially when he came out with the boombox (a la Talking Heads Tour) and did the opening song. Nick Lowe is a minor hero of mine.

Love Nick Lowe. Saw him at the Continental (remember that place!) many years ago. Told stories, sang songs, was generally brilliant.

Here's a little treat...so freakin cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads