• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green MTO

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EFBenson
I believe Tricker's 'bespoke' is essentially MTO on your own last. The chap I spoke to in their shop on Jermyn Street did not use the word bespoke

The sign on the shop front window does state the shoes are 'bespoke'

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EFBenson
I believe Tricker's 'bespoke' is essentially MTO on your own last. The chap I spoke to in their shop on Jermyn Street did not use the word bespoke

I think you're confusing their MTO programme with the bespoke programme. These are 2 different things. I've been aware of the MTO programme, but only recently (thanks to this thread) become aware of their bespoke one.

Trivia

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Tricker's bespoke? Would be superb to get some first-hand info.

Trivia

Reaction score
Just FYI: I had an email conversation with Tricker's. The lasts are individually tailored to your feet, but the shoes are produced on the "normal" factory machines. They use the same leather as for the RTW shoes and I suspect the finish will be the same, as well. Price is GBP 1050 incl. VAT right now. They don't charge for making the lasts, but this also means that subsequent pairs don't get cheaper.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which are the stockist that are capable of taking the measurements for the last or is this something only possible with a factory visit?

Edited. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was refering to the Tricker's bespoke mentioned in the post above.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot in NYC. Skyvalet in DC. The Ralph Lauren mansions, though they'll expect you to buy through them. Neiman Marcus or Saks, maybe.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
As much as I love EG I find that to be outrageous too. Perhaps they need to model their business after VW who aims to sell more cars in the US and as a result have lowered their prices.

I think one should be careful what they wish for. Sure, EG could lower prices, but then, they would probably lower their quality as well, to a level of market that is already well populated. While we all want cheaper shoes, constantly asking for cheaper shoes only ever leads to factories taking shortcuts. Look at Grenson for instance.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
I think one should be careful what they wish for. Sure, EG could lower prices, but then, they would probably lower their quality as well, to a level of market that is already well populated. While we all want cheaper shoes, constantly asking for cheaper shoes only ever leads to factories taking shortcuts. Look at Grenson for instance.

I would agree that EG has been churning out a better product. But I bought a pair a year ago for £498.00 and exactly 1 year later the same shoe will cost me £610. That is egregious as those are tax free prices. And I have to wait 3 months!

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I would agree that EG has been churning out a better product. But I bought a pair a year ago for £498.00 and exactly 1 year later the same shoe will cost me £610. That is egregious as those are tax free prices. And I have to wait 3 months!

+1! No reason for such a sharp increase in pricing.

EFBenson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I think you're confusing their MTO programme with the bespoke programme. These are 2 different things. I've been aware of the MTO programme, but only recently (thanks to this thread) become aware of their bespoke one.

from my conversation with the assistant in the shop, the difference between the two is that they make a last for you at the 'bespoke' price, and they make more of an effort to make it fit you. You can't design your own shoe outside of their existing pattern range. That was my understanding, but I stand corrected.

TRA8324

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful pair of Edward Green MTO whiskey shell cordovan wingtips off of B&S. They are a 9D on the 606 last. Will I have any trouble fitting into these with my US size 9.5D feet?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While never a guarantee, assuming they are a UK 9 they should work well for you. Good luck!

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Something has gone to E. Green's head. How much has their price gone up in about only 5 years? 200%?

200%? EGs were $400 MSRP at one point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads