• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elephant leather shoes

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
Have we started wearing rhinos yet?
I've seen a rhino jacket made by Hettabretz in one store in Moscow. It cost some ridiculous amount of money. 50 or 70 thousand USD.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
Have we started wearing rhinos yet?

Originally Posted by banis
I've seen a rhino jacket made by Hettabretz in one store in Moscow.

A few years back, I saw in a vintage luggage shop a huge Edwardian Gladstone bag, weighing a ton, which was marked as "Rhino leather".

Whether or not it was the real thing, I wouldn't know, but I presume so.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A some hypocrasy in this thread. So people would not wear elephant skin but have no problem wearing shoes made of a month old calf. Leather is leather my friends.

EvilFish

Reaction score
watermark

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
A some hypocrasy in this thread. So people would not wear elephant skin but have no problem wearing shoes made of a month old calf. Leather is leather my friends.

My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things.
My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things.
My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.

And I agree with you, I did not single out you specifically. I just hate when people are selectively compassionate about animals.

I believe a bootmaker Lucchese gets its elephants skins through sustainable methods. I read this in the news many years ago but I cannot find a link for it now.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things. My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.
Almost all legitimate sources of elephant skin come from state-sponsored parks and are harvested by rangers from animals culled due to disease or population pressures. CITES and other international organizations have been pretty good at enforcing these standards. I have no doubt that the meat is distributed to the indigenous human population. No offense intended, but it is all too easy succumb to hysteria in this regard. Legitimate concerns about poaching and the ivory trade don't really enter into it. Some folks think elephant leather is ugly...regardless of the fact that it is one of the toughest, most scuff resistant leathers known to man while remaining remarkably supple....but I would argue that it is no more ugly than a Norvegese (sp?)...at least that's my personal opinion. I like it--for the same reasons and in the same context as I like Norvegeses
nod[1].gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
I kinda like the skin. I wonder what this would look like with a tan palette vs black.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcel you always do beautiful work, but I just can't see any justification for the use or purchasing of anything made from such a majestic creature. It just feels wrong for me to see this, sorry. To each his own I guess.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "legal" elephant. It is banned under international law--for good reason.

If the villian in you needs relase, go buy some lab puppies from the local puppy mill, let your kids play with them for a few days, and just when they start to get attached clobber them to death and use the hides as place mats.

That'll teach them to eat their vegetables....

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
There is no such thing as "legal" elephant. It is banned under international law--for good reason.If the villian in you needs relase, go buy some lab puppies from the local puppy mill, let your kids play with them for a few days, and just when they start to get attached clobber them to death and use the hides as place mats.

That'll teach them to eat their vegetables....

No it's not. That's just a common myth. Elephant hunting is allowed in African countries where their populations are stable, adequately protected and well managed.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
No it's not. That's just a common myth. Elephant hunting is allowed in African countries where their populations are stable, adequately protected and well managed.

Smells like a 'feel good' slogan to mask the problem of unethical salughter.
stirpot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads