• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf cares, ye stays winning

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwoyeu
interesting article/discussion from MC ... probably should have been posted here instead
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=231350

great, posting a topic about fashion in a subforum that doesn't know anything about fashion (except that it's awful and horrible and nothing like timeless style)

G0079

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
really? the answer is obviously no, for the same reasons that are discussed here ad nauseum workwear/americana references what 'normal' people in this country have been wearing for decades 'darker, tailored European looks' are perceived as being exactly that, and will continue to be worn only by those who feel black enough on the inside to wear black on the outside, provided they can afford it, live in one of a handful of neighborhoods in NY/LA/maybe SF, and/or post on fashun boards
I think the question is broader - you've got all these young guys suddenly being interested in fashion because it's easy, it's been done before and they're told it's timeless. What do they do when the trend is over? Stick with Heritage until they die?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes; if they're weren't already committed fashion heads prior to the whole americana thing, they'll take one look at rick/raf/whatver, be like 'that **** is gay' and go buy some more cords/ocbds

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more for me, dont want those prices suddenly going up anymore than they already are because of inflation.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That article is conflating several trends though. The workwear / heritage advance guard are indeed moving on, and it's mostly to tailored stuff that can still be sold / bought as "style" rather than fashion. Other than black, what is that article even selling as "next"?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
is it blasphemous to take a perfectly good pair of trousers and hem them as shorts?

Agreed with slacktide and I have done that a few times now myself and they turn out great. I'm not skilled enough nor do I have the time to experiment on my own, but my tailor does mine with ease and charges me the same amount as a regular hem. I refuse to pay the same amount or similar for a pair of shorts as I do for a nice pair of pants, which is essentially the case (particularly for good quality higher end stuff) since most of the work is in the top block.

I used a few of my pre-SF day pants from Express and Gap that fit ill from the knee down and had them converted to shorts. I compared lengths with other pairs of shorts I own to get a good idea of the length I wanted them hemmed to, checked to see how wide they would be (in case there was too much flare action and I wanted them tapered) and had my tailor do the rest. They all came out great.

I look out for ultra clearance rack pants (Express, J. Crew, Gap, Mabitex from Daffy's, etc.), find the material I'm looking for and go from there. Couldn't be happier with how they turn out.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I think another selling point of workwear/heritage is that it's fairly "safe" to sink some money into it. Generally speaking, workwear/heritage stuff is going to have a longer shelf life both in terms of being fairly conservative - unless you're in full-on urban lumberjack mode, you're not going to look anywhere near as flamboyant or out-there as someone who's all goth-ninja-ed out - and in terms of your more expensive items just plain lasting longer. Your selvage denim and Filson bag will probably outlast the gauzey, twisted-seam t-shirt you just dropped an equal amount of cash on, since part of the idea behind the former is that they're sturdy and durable.

In terms of actual effects:

- Designers will churn out more "dark" and "European" stuff.
- Fashion reporters will beast over it.
- Bloggers will eventually follow suit.
- Hipsters will eventually start getting their drapey, oversized cape-like cardigans and tattered man-skirts caught in the chains of their fixed-gear bicycles.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
does sister suzie on sufu do made to order stuff?
i dont want to ask her for fear of pissing her off
laugh.gif
...sort of like when ppl ask drew to make something that looks like rick.

wondering if anyone had asked her before, thanks.

From her sufu thread it looks like she does do a few custom orders. It wouldn't hurt to send pm. But yeah her knits are awesome though, I like a lot of the stuff she churns out.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think hipster is generally compatible with gothninja, honestly it just sounds like you are trying to stuff everything you personally dislike into a single category. I also think the hipster fad will die out within a few years, it is pretty old already.

As for the workwear drones, a large number of them are too fat to look good in anything else, but they will eventually realize that they're paying ricidulous amounts of money just to look like they shop at Eddie Bauer, so will switch to the cheaper route. Some will just mindlessly follow whatever trend comes next. The remainder will lose interest in fashion after leaving school/getting a job and fall into some kind of generic yuppie/BR type look.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I don't think hipster is generally compatible with gothninja, honestly it just sounds like you are trying to stuff everything you personally dislike into a single category. I also think the hipster fad will die out within a few years, it is pretty old already.

Nah, I don't specifically dislike any of that stuff. I'd say it's easier to look foolish and try-hard with more extreme/directional-type aesthetics, but stuff like that can look great if done well. I wouldn't mind incorporating some "darker" stuff into what I wear, which currently ranges from non-baller vaguely Americana-ish stuff to urban hipster douchebag.

I don't think hipsters are going anywhere. I don't think the current idea of a hipster will look much like the hipsters of the future, but they'll still be around in some form. The only ones that irk me are trust fund hipsters. (And I was joking about the bike chain thing.)

Also, I just noticed the Red Cross banner at the top of the page.
inlove.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sister suzie does custom stuff.

she made me a hat to my specs a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads