• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Pity his music is for cloth-eared fuckwits.

Get ye hence to your cave you plebeian parvenu.

The ignorance of taste that one has to abide these days. Merde!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Get ye hence to your cave you plebeian parvenu.

The ignorance of taste that one has to abide these days. Merde!

I haven't kept up with Santana these days but irrespective of if you like him or not there is no disputing he's a great guitarist.

I seem to remember he came out here with Mahavishnu John McLoughlin or was just under his influence and one concert I went to he had 10 minutes silence at the start after he came on stage - hardly rock n roll - but when he soars on that unique sound of his it is special and moving.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Stay tuned. I'm organising a low key low cost interesting meetup for lurkers, posters, banned members etc probably Sat 26 March 11 am / lunch. Central Melbourne. (poss Sun 27 if it suits more) Indicate if it seems ok. No commitment required.
Arrghh ... I'm in Melbourne next week for work and I leave on Fri 25.
ffffuuuu.gif
On the plus side, I am looking forward to seeing some proper dress sense in real life ... or it could give me a complex.
redface.gif

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Pity his music is for cloth-eared fuckwits.

I'm no big fan - but I have a bit of his stuff - he is good.

Anyway - you can call me a fuckwit but I'm not cloth-eared.

I'd be a bit curious as to what concerts you are going to in the next while.

Me I'm off to see Blind Boys of Alabama with Aaron Neville and Mavis Staples, then Felice Brothers, Raul Malo, Toots and Maytals and a few others. Sadly I'll have to miss Bob and George Clinton.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Took two deliveries today. Mixed results.

The first was a package from Lads End based off journeymans tip-off: two shawl neck cardigans, a jumper and a polo shirt. Was only $149, so worked out quite cheap on a per item basis. They seem to fit fine albeit slightly on the larger side (will be interested to see if they shrink after a wash).

The second was a prl vintage suit off the b&s forum - let's just say that it was a small punt that didn't pay off! While the suit itself fits almost perfectly, style wise I couldn't pull it off -very high waisted (think natural waist) and very low button stance. With my frame it's very Jimmy Stewart. Might keep it in case I ever go to a vintage themed party.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar

The first was a package from Lads End based off journeymans tip-off: two shawl neck cardigans, a jumper and a polo shirt. Was only $149, so worked out quite cheap on a per item basis. They seem to fit fine albeit slightly on the larger side (will be interested to see if they shrink after a wash).

The second was a prl vintage suit off the b&s forum - let's just say that it was a small punt that didn't pay off! While the suit itself fits almost perfectly, style wise I couldn't pull it off -very high waisted (think natural waist) and very low button stance. With my frame it's very Jimmy Stewart. Might keep it in case I ever go to a vintage themed party.

CHECKstar, that was quick delivery by LE Canvas.
I'm on the larger side, at least in terms of width (180cm, about 100kg, 16"/41cm neck measurement, 44"/112cm chest, 38"/95cm waist) and so I suppose that what is fairly slim-fitting on me could be quite generous on someone else!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

Anyway - you can call me a fuckwit but I'm not cloth-eared.

Me I'm off to see Blind Boys of Alabama with Aaron Neville and Mavis Staples, then Felice Brothers, Raul Malo, Toots and Maytals and a few others. Sadly I'll have to miss Bob and George Clinton.

Going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela? Their show is fantastic.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
CHECKstar, that was quick delivery by LE Canvas.
I'm on the larger side, at least in terms of width (180cm, about 100kg, 16"/41cm neck measurement, 44"/112cm chest, 38"/95cm waist) and so I suppose that what is fairly slim-fitting on me could be quite generous on someone else!

Thanks again for the tip. Don't get me wrong - I am not swimming in it, but I do have a leaner physique: 185ish cm, 82kg, 40inch chest and 32inch waist and so can always afford a slim fit. But again, I think with layering etc, the fit is quite passable.

RemyMichel

Reaction score

Id like to see your idea of too hard to pull off, Pics? Show!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the tip. Don't get me wrong - I am not swimming in it, but I do have a leaner physique: 185ish cm, 82kg, 40inch chest and 32inch waist and so can always afford a slim fit. But again, I think with layering etc, the fit is quite passable.
Yep, 10 years ago I was 75kg and took a size 40 jacket and had an 8-9 inch drop for the trousers, but a decade of work, marriage and kids has taken its toll! Somehow, I've managed to keep a GT Team LTS mountain bike and a Mazda MX-5 in the garage as a hangover from my younger days, but I hardly use either of them now. Sigh...

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RemyMichel
Id like to see your idea of too hard to pull off, Pics? Show!

Ha, maybe if I'm brave it might make an appearance at the Melbourne meet up!

... er maybe not

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I haven't kept up with Santana these days but irrespective of if you like him or not there is no disputing he's a great guitarist.

I seem to remember he came out here with Mahavishnu John McLoughlin or was just under his influence and one concert I went to he had 10 minutes silence at the start after he came on stage - hardly rock n roll - but when he soars on that unique sound of his it is special and moving.

The early Santana is great not sure about the present stuff but no denying the man's talent.

I saw McLaughlin with Shakti back at the Palais at St Kilda in 1979. And then last year with Chick Corea at the Opera House.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
The Tube in London is worse IMO. Every station is like Town Hall, with double the patronage...

I'll bet, but only natural seeing how much larger than Sydney London is.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

Not going to much as I always seem to find out about the good stuff when they have already been through Sydney and it's too late. I need to get out from under my rock.

Case in point... Justin Townes Earle - I would have gone but missed it. Granted, he is doing a final festival spot in the Mountains on Sunday but no can do.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MX5?
eh.gif

I have Bob tickets, taking the old man. Quiet excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads