• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

34R RTW Suits - Where to buy in the UK?

spindoctor

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope you, the good people on this forum can help me with this one! I have recently got a new job as a field sales executive and am in desperate need of a few good looking and quality suits. The only problem is I am quite short (5'6") and very slim. For my interview I had aa terrible time finding a suit that actually fit. I eventually brought a very cheap suit from Burton's. It fits well but the quality is very poor and I don't like the style. I don't feel comfortable wearing it. If feels cheap.

The measurements for my suit are:

34R - The blazer
28R - The trousers

Where can I buy good quality RTW suits in these measurements in the UK? I've scrounged the high street and no one, absolutely no one seems to stock these sizes! I would go down the MTM route but atm I simply can not afford it.

Someone please help as I'm in desperate need for some good quality suits that actually fit.

I look forward to your replies!

Regards,

Spindoctor

Poindexter

Reaction score
In the US, going to a higher end menswear store and looking in their youth lines, in 18 or 20, can get me there. Some nice stuff for a little less dosh, as well. My best gray flannel odd jacket is by one of these lines.

Otherwise, it's teh thrifts, mate.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what's your budget?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marks and Spencers.

Decent quality for RTW and many lines as separates

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poindexter
In the US, going to a higher end menswear store and looking in their youth lines, in 18 or 20, can get me there. Some nice stuff for a little less dosh, as well. My best gray flannel odd jacket is by one of these lines.

Otherwise, it's teh thrifts, mate.

He does not ask about the US and aspires to rather better than second hand anyway.

spindoctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Marks and Spencers.

Decent quality for RTW and many lines as separates

I went to Marks and Sparks first and asked one of the shop attendants to help me out. She gave me a plain black suit which was 36R (blazer) but it looked and felt baggy although she said it fit me perfectly!

I want a suit that not only fits well but which looks good as well. I don't know about the other members here on the forum but I hate seeing people in bad fitting and bad quality suits, it makes me cringe! I am willing to extend my budget to a certain extent if you (or anyone else for that matter) could point me in the direction of good looking and quality RTW suits. I don't think as of yet ill be able to afford MTM. I'm only 19 and don't have much money!

Some friends have suggested I get a suit I like even if its a bit big and then get it altered. Is this a good idea do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 5'6 are you sure you're a R and not a short jacket?

You can get things altered a bit but remember to factor the cost of the work in to your budget.

spindoctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
At 5'6 are you sure you're a R and not a short jacket?

You can get things altered a bit but remember to factor the cost of the work in to your budget.

Well the jacket I brought from Burton's was 34R and it fit well.

spindoctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
I've heard good things about them but they've only got shops in London. I'd still give M&S a go. They have 34R and 34S on their website and they're decent enough quality for the price.

I've heard good things about suitsupply as well but the only problem is that I live in Nottingham! I've had a look at the M&S website and saw quite a few nice numbers but my local store didn't have them in stock! I was browsing the Austin Reed website earlier today and saw a very nice navy slim fit suit which they did in my size. What do people think of AR?

Dickyfaulkner

Reaction score
Get over to the Aquascutum outlet store at McArthur Glen, Sutton (not far from you). This week they have had a rail full of various style suits for £100! I bought myself one (my third Aqua suit) & for that price, it is like legal stealing.

Some will need the trousers finishing but it is definitely worth a trip.

BTW - They were also selling dress shirts (RRP £80 each) at 2 for £20. Crazy prices.

AxlJack

Reaction score
^^^^^

I just went to Aquascutum today at the East Midlands Outlet

The suits are for a 100 quid but i dont know if its just me but I felt the sizes run weird:

My bro wears a 36 and that looked big on him (lol and the sales lady was like our sizes run pretty slim... slim to what???)

And yes I do confirm the shirt deal was pretty damn good!!!!!!!!!! Went crazy on that.........

(Btw Aquascutum does not do 34 and I have yet to see one in an M&S store)

On ur 34R question: I have the exact same problem and here are some solutions:

H&M

I knw this is not SF approved but unfortunately for ppl like us this is the best solution (also if like me you dont like suit supply's high button stance and wide (IMO) lapels) : Mind you you will have to alter the sleeve cuff length....

The next best Option is

Zara
(I havent tried them but I do know they sell 34)
alter the sleeve cuff length here as well

IMO This is the best thing to do:

Buy an H&M Suit (Check it fits well etc etc; read all the necc stuff here on what fits etc). Then go to a Tailor; buy your own Material and tell him/her to copy it. If you know your area well in terms of tailors it should come up to 300-400 or so. If you dont give a damn about quality etc etc just buy the damn H&M suit and get the pain over with

Also on a side note this will only work if you are thin or medium sized, if you have a belly then you'll have to go thru the suit supply method or any MTM (This is whats happening to my dad) ............there is no RTW solution for this....... cause the damn buttons would break as ur trying to button the coat... u'd end up killing ppl man... not good....not good

Btw Suit Supply runs a 35 on their RTW if im not mistaken; for 34 you will have to go MTM with them: Correct me if I'm wrong

Best of luck

(I bet there are other stores that do sell 34. From my experience the ones that do are not per se Men's Clothing stores but more Fast Fashion Stores: or you could also look into Boys Suits)

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spindoctor
Hi, I hope you, the good people on this forum can help me with this one! I have recently got a new job as a field sales executive and am in desperate need of a few good looking and quality suits. The only problem is I am quite short (5'6") and very slim. For my interview I had aa terrible time finding a suit that actually fit. I eventually brought a very cheap suit from Burton's. It fits well but the quality is very poor and I don't like the style. I don't feel comfortable wearing it. If feels cheap. The measurements for my suit are: 34R - The blazer 28R - The trousers Where can I buy good quality RTW suits in these measurements in the UK? I've scrounged the high street and no one, absolutely no one seems to stock these sizes! I would go down the MTM route but atm I simply can not afford it. Someone please help as I'm in desperate need for some good quality suits that actually fit. I look forward to your replies! Regards, Spindoctor
charles tyrwhitt or hawes and curtis or tm lewin...? http://www.ctshirts.com/mens-suits/m...|||||||||||||| http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensTailori...,en_GB,sc.html i have a friend with similar measurements, very slim, and he found a great suit in hawes and curtis, i dont think they sell them online though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads