• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I think they are probably producing as much of this stuff as they can afford to. Do you know how much equipment it takes to hold a beer over a year? That's a huge opportunity cost because they could be using the same equipment to make other beers. Most of these microbreweries are REALLY micro...meaning they are very small and have a limited capacity.
This is correct for the most part, they can only produce so much of the base beer for KBS and then only so many bourbon barrels can be filled. They aren't limiting anything, they produce as much as they can and since the demand is a lot higher than what can be produced of course places will put a limit on what you can buy. It's not a game or strategy it's more of a supply and demand, finding a place to store 55gal barrels full of beer for a year (especially a large quantity) isn't that easy or cheap. Plus, I think the growing interest in craft beers the last couple of years has created a monster because I could just walk into a store 2/3 years ago, pick-up a 4-pk and be on my way. Founders just recently expanded to try and keep up with the demand, but the consumer is growing faster than the brewery itself...

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Man I do not get this business practice. You have a product people want and you cannot provide a descent quantity to get it in the hands of customers. I realize part of their strategy may be to create hype but the scarcity is overboard. Limiting people to a bottle is ridiculous. Let's face it, most will not even get that.

I might go the ebay route as well just to say I have tried it. I am starting to lose interest though.
ffffuuuu.gif

Limited supply can work in their favor as it can and does drive up the price. Look at how much full bottles of Dark Lord go for on ebay, some bottles have fetched close to $200.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
I said if you paid for shipping (which shouldn't be much) I'll send you a bottle, I wouldn't waste your money it's a good beer not great. You should just save $15 and by a bottle of Bourbon County Rare instead...

Thank you!

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
and you dont want to expand too much and lose quality control... or worse yet, have the craft beer market bottom out on you.

and tooch is right, 2/3 years ago this beer wasn't a big deal. I have it up on my wall and I didn't necessarily think I was drinking anything all that great (sorry I'm not a stout guy)

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Limited supply can work in their favor as it can and does drive up the price. Look at how much full bottles of Dark Lord go for on ebay, some bottles have fetched close to $200.

I wouldn't go that far, it's also because some people are greedy and selfish pricks who only are trying to make a fast buck and could care less about the beer. I'd never pay that much for Dark Lord, I actually have never paid for a single bottle of Dark Lord and that's including owning multiple vintages. It's not as rare a beer as most people think (maybe 10-12k bottles), it's because you can only buy it one specific day a year that people go ga-ga for the crap, most of the different years (I've had all but '04) I have had aren't even that great, unless it's an '08 bottle which is delicious and worth maybe $50 and that's if you really wanna spend that kinda money. Blah, blah, blah...remember people in the end it's just ******* beer and you always get the same result no matter what style, year or price it is, you get DRUNK!!!

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, it's also because some people are greedy and selfish pricks who only are trying to make a fast buck and could care less about the beer.

Maybe not directly, but it sure filters through in demand interest, even from people just trying to flip, they have to get it somewhere.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
and you dont want to expand too much and lose quality control... or worse yet, have the craft beer market bottom out on you.

and tooch is right, 2/3 years ago this beer wasn't a big deal. I have it up on my wall and I didn't necessarily think I was drinking anything all that great (sorry I'm not a stout guy)

Exactly, I sent Brian my last two bottles from '09, it just wasn't that hard to get your hands on back then. I personally would rather have Bourbon County any day over KBS and thankfully we both live in the city that is the main source, so it's always on-tap or in bottle form at some local watering hole...

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
ya I see local option has it on tap tonight.

speaking of being in an awesome city with easy access to awesome beer... I see half acre has a new release today.

tooch, you have any good bar recommendations for this weekend... we have guys weekend going on and were looking to check out a few new places around the city, more so for afternoon drinking (they are like me, heavy in the pale and ipa category)

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Maybe not directly, but it sure filters through in demand interest, even from people just trying to flip, they have to get it somewhere.

Do you want a bottle? I have several sitting my beer cabinet right now, I also have 4 bottles of the recently released Cigar City Hunhapu's or would you prefer Black Tuesday? Just because they took the initiative to go and purchase the bottles at $15 each, they are still pricks for trying to flip them at $200...

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
ya I see local option has it on tap tonight. speaking of being in an awesome city with easy access to awesome beer... I see half acre has a new release today. tooch, you have any good bar recommendations for this weekend... we have guys weekend going on and were looking to check out a few new places around the city, more so for afternoon drinking (they are like me, heavy in the pale and ipa category)
The Fountainhead, The Long Room, Acre, any of the Small Bars, Revolution is always a good day time drinking spot, plus the food is tasty. Twisted Spoke, The Bad Apple, I'd start off at Piece for pizza and several rounds of Camel Toe and then work your way over to Small Bar on Division and then finish off with a quick cab ride to Twisted Spoke... Or I'd do Revolution, Rocking Horse and Longman & Eagle...

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because they took the initiative to go and purchase the bottles at $15 each, they are still pricks for trying to flip them at $200...

I don't remember saying they weren't...

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
ya we do piece and small bar often enough. But I like the other suggestions, thanks! Otherwise we have a tendency to keep hitting up the same spots.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I'd hop a cab up to Lincoln Square and start off at The Fountainhead, you can then either walk over to The Bad Apple or jump a quick cab to The Long Room. If you hit up The Bad Apple, you can stop over at Half Acre and pick-up some Ambrosia for some evening consumption...

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea. Score. 2x the limit

4d05fae6.jpg

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
enough of KBS

black IPA home brew - quite delicious
8da71966.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads