• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wayward
What about a ranking of the difficulty/price for different tailoring jobs, so that when people buy RTW suits they know what needs to be bang on and what can be altered later? For example, some of the most intensive jobs I know of:

- anything with shoulders
- correcting sleeve pitch
- altering sleeve lengths w/ surgeon's cuffs
- lengthening/shortening jacket

Much easier/cheaper jobs:

- adjusting pants waist or seat
- altering sleeve length without surgeon's cuffs
- reshaping the back of collar to sit flush with your neck

Just off the top of my head. Others care to develop this?

I'd be more or less talking out of ****** on the subject. Start a new thread about the topic though and I'd be happy to link it.

either/or

Reaction score
+1 to a beginners guide to MC alterations
wink.gif

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
[Oxfords - Oxfords are referred to in different ways based on certain key features.
If the laces appear to be overlaid over the upper it's called a Derby or blucher. If they're divided only by a seam, it's called a balmoral.

If I am reading this right, it is incorrect. A balmoral and oxford are the same thing. A blucher is not a type of oxford.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
If I am reading this right, it is incorrect. A balmoral and oxford are the same thing. A blucher is not a type of oxford.
Correct. Balmoral (US) = Oxford (UK) = closed lacing. Blucher (US) = Derby (UK) = open lacing. It's just that in the US some people use 'Oxford' for all laced shoes. Edit that and please pin this thread.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Correct. Balmoral (US) = Oxford (UK) = closed lacing. Blucher (US) = Derby (UK) = open lacing. It's just that in the US some people use 'Oxford' for all laced shoes. Edit that and please pin this thread.

[
B]Lace-ups[/b] - Lace-ups are referred to in different ways based on certain key features.
If the laces appear to be overlaid over the upper it's called a derby or blucher. If they're divided only by a seam, it's called a balmoral or oxford. The toes can be a plain continuous piece of leather (plaintoe), have a separate cap over them (captoes) or a different kind of cap that forms a sweeping W shape (wingtip). Decorative holes punched in the leather are call broguing. If the wingtip circles entirely around the shoe, it's called a longwing.

Lace-ups sound like a better heading?

joneog

Reaction score
A list of fabric patterns (gingham, herringbone etc.) - with descriptions or pictures - may be helpful.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joneog
A list of fabric patterns (gingham, herringbone etc.) - with descriptions or pictures - may be helpful.

That seems like the kind of thing that would need a slough of pictures to accomplish, so I think it's probably best saved for another thread. Make such a thread and I'll add the link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads