• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You can enjoy the best of both worlds by going BD with the points unbuttoned...

crazy.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
On the subject of national/regional differences, am I right in thinking that whilst in the UK a contrast collar shirt would pass without comment in the US it would be considered flashy?

Yeah, mostly. They had a vogue in the '80s but I think their day here has passed. I do still see them but, honestly, the shirts usually look cheap and the people wearing them look, um, outer borough, for lack of a better term.

/snob.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You can enjoy the best of both worlds by going BD with the points unbuttoned...

(OK, that's not really conservative business dress.)

NCBD.

Moss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Checks and stripes look best, IMO, when the area allocated to the pattern is equal to or greater than the ground. Butcher stripes are a good example of equal to. Gingham would be greater than.
My favorites are the light color ground (e.g., light blue) with thin white or cream stripes that are closely spaced.

sellahi22

Reaction score
This is a personal thing but I may as well mention it.

I am seeing a lot of striped and checked shirts in which the white ground totally dominates the stripe. I think these are hard to coordinate and generally don't look that good.I have a couple and I notice that I never reach for them and haven't ordered more in forever.

Checks and stripes look best, IMO, when the area allocated to the pattern is equal to or greater than the ground. Butcher stripes are a good example of equal to. Gingham would be greater than.

So that's why I don't really care for this. Also not a fan of the tie.

I think it has more to do with the thickness of the colored stripe/check and the richness of the color. I think the picture you quoted has a 50/50 mix of white and color, but the stripes are thin and the blue is pale so the pattern looks weak overall.

Compare to oldog's shirt which is probably 80% white 20% color, but the blue is deep and the stripe is thick enough that the white doesn't dominate the shirt.

I don't like fine or weak patterns on shirts unless the color is very rich. They look very Jos A Bank/Brooks Brothers to me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on stripes but disagree on checks. There's very handsome checks where white dominates (tattersall type of patterns) and I find them easier rather than harder to coordinate with a tie than the ones where color > white.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I agree on stripes but disagree on checks. There's very handsome checks where white dominates (tattersall type of patterns) and I find them easier rather than harder to coordinate with a tie than the ones where color > white.

Blue + black or red + black tattersalls are probably the only ones I like. I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

Love those.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Much better.

Cheers MoK!

Blue + black or red + black tattersalls are probably the only ones I like. I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Love those.

Would this constitute one of those? This is one of my fav shirts and almost wore it today with the same tie but opted for a plain white shirt because I wore blue shirts the last two days.

Retro_020811_05.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Would this constitute one of those? This is one of my fav shirts and almost wore it today with the same tie but opted for a plain white shirt because I wore blue shirts the last two days.

Retro_020811_05.jpg

Something wierd about this. The pattern goes "missing" in certain places and there appear to be jacquard dots in the middle of the squares.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, especially on young dudes.

Yeah, mostly. They had a vogue in the '80s but I think their day here has passed. I do still see them but, honestly, the shirts usually look cheap and the people wearing them look, um, outer borough, for lack of a better term.

/snob.

This got mixed reviews on WAYWRN a while ago, IIRC. What do you guys think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics