• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Biologists/Chemists here? (That means you Doctors/dentists/pharmacists)

sofaking9000

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what I wanna do. I wanna hear people's real life experiences, what are the work hours like, what will Obamacare do to your pay, are you in private practice, how long did it take you get to where you are, if you could repeat your education...what would you do, any things you wanna warn a newbie about?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big Law is where it's at, ........noobie
facepalm.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sofaking9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Big Law is where it's at, ........noobie
facepalm.gif

right...spend 8 years, earn the most debt compared to med/business students and then if you didn't graduate from a top 10 school, you end up in some ****** temp job making 30-40K with hours upon hours, yea man Big Law is awesome
crackup[1].gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sofaking9000
right...spend 8 years, earn the most debt compared to med/business students and then if you didn't graduate from a top 10 school, you end up in some ****** temp job making 30-40K with hours upon hours, yea man Big Law is awesome
crackup[1].gif

http://www.baka-raptor.com/Appreciation/sarcasm_detector.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
PM Gibonius

Ask and ye shall receive!

I'm actually a chemist though, I don't work in medicine, which seems to be what the OP is asking about.

I've had people ask me why I didn't go into medicine. There's a certain appeal to it, but I'm glad I went the way I did. Chem is fun, lots of options, lots of cool toys and interesting problems to solve. Pay is decent/good, job security is relatively high by the American standard. I have no debt and money in the bank before I turn 30, something most medical doctors can't say.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Worked as a biologist for a year (studied migratory habits of paddlefish) and then went back for a business degree. The bad thing about biology (actually like many fields), the more you advance, the less fun stuff you get to do.

Another friend who studied molecular bio wound up at Genzyme, scrutinizing fetuses for evidence of birth defects.

sofaking9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Worked as a biologist for a year (studied migratory habits of paddlefish) and then went back for a business degree. The bad thing about biology (actually like many fields), the more you advance, the less fun stuff you get to do.

Another friend who studied molecular bio wound up at Genzyme, scrutinizing fetuses for evidence of birth defects.

Oh man that must have been a bummer, all that time and money down the drain
ffffuuuu.gif

I can't imagine how boring that must have been and holy **** those fish are scary. Look like sharks with gigantic spades on their noses. I saw Deep Blue Sea when I was a kid...our bathroom was blue it had to be repainted/retiled white
redface.gif

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
All my pharm and med friends really enjoy their work overall. The meds are paid more, but generally work more hours.

DesertSolitaire

Reaction score
OP, maybe reconsider your career choice. I work with cardiologists on a daily basis, there are benefits to the long hours, but it requires a high level of intelligence and great commitment to be a successful doctor.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Ask and ye shall receive!

I'm actually a chemist though, I don't work in medicine, which seems to be what the OP is asking about.

I've had people ask me why I didn't go into medicine. There's a certain appeal to it, but I'm glad I went the way I did. Chem is fun, lots of options, lots of cool toys and interesting problems to solve. Pay is decent/good, job security is relatively high by the American standard. I have no debt and money in the bank before I turn 30, something most medical doctors can't say.

What degrees did you end up with to land the job you have?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
What degrees did you end up with to land the job you have?

Pretty sure GIb's mentioned elsewhere he has a PhD in synthetic chemistry, but I don't remember which field specifically (organic, inorganic, catalyst, etc. etc.). I may be wrong though.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Oh man that must have been a bummer, all that time and money down the drain
ffffuuuu.gif

I can't imagine how boring that must have been and holy **** those fish are scary. Look like sharks with gigantic spades on their noses. I saw Deep Blue Sea when I was a kid...our bathroom was blue it had to be repainted/retiled white
redface.gif

Dude, it was the best job I'll ever have in my life. I drifted a boat down the Yellowstone River, getting a great tan and watching elk and **** swim across the river. And those fish are damn tasty. Like an oily freshwater shark.

watchcollector2454

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what I wanna do. I wanna hear people's real life experiences, what are the work hours like, what will Obamacare do to your pay, are you in private practice, how long did it take you get to where you are, if you could repeat your education...what would you do, any things you wanna warn a newbie about?

life sciences as an undergrad, a couple years of research, then a phd in molecular bio and then a medical degree. academic clinician is the end goal. it really depends on what you want. i value my independence so being able to maintain at least a part time position in academia is ideal for me. i don't mind the long hours/****** pay as long as i enjoy what i am doing and feel like i am having an impact. you're still young and have a shitload of options. take classes and get involved with various things and start figuring out what you like and don't like and make your decision based on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads