• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Apart from the shoes, isn't this UCBD?

Originally Posted by ManofKent
I agree - swap the shoes for oxfords and it would be as conservative as you could get. I like Ob5curity's clean fit's, and he has the perfect build for them. Having said that PS would add a touch of flair without moving it from conservative business dress.
Isn't the wool tie slightly subversive too? How does that fit into the conservative business dress universe? I've honestly no idea...

Originally Posted by ndw
wsjb6.jpg

Now that is UCBD (and looks good).

Originally Posted by ndw
At any rate the image below was my inspiration- so your suggestion was spot on.

25_MatteoMarzotto.jpg

Great inspiration. I'd love to think I could pull off something like this one day.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lighter than navy 3 patch worsted flannel suit, blue OCBD, "mustard" paisley wool challis tie, brown & white silk square, tan belt, orange and mid-blue glen plaid wool socks, mid-tan double-soled pebble grain bluchers:

fj15n.jpg

rwWzJ.jpg

CTPC0.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ That's a great look and I love the tie.

Is it just the angle or is your breast patch: a) very large, and b) somewhat squarish?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
The suit is actually a glen plaid. But I tried a grenadine and a shot silk solid and both looked fussy.

IMG_0041-1.jpg

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0042-1.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good fit, Manton. Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Mike

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Other than the choice of tie, I like it. A solid dark blue / navy wool would have served you well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^Is it just the angle or is your breast patch: a) very large, and b) somewhat squarish?
It's not huge, but it is a bit square.
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

6' 4"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^ Other than the choice of tie, I like it. A solid dark blue / navy wool would have served you well.

Yeah, I'm not into those Jermyn Street wovens any more. I still like the Italian (Nicky) wovens.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

rwWzJ.jpg

I like that tie. I have one tie i that general color scheme - a mustard and brown birds eye cashmere knit. I'd like to find some more in that mustard/burnt orange range in summer or four-season weights. They work really well to pick up various tones in brown shoes, especially with sober ensembles like those in this thread.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Thanks for all your comments today guys - Really appreciate it. Seems conservative business dress is not for me. Carry on
biggrin.gif

Learning a lot from this thread, even if it isn't touted as a tutorial of sorts.

Anyway, I think Spoo would probably just be the dandiest conservative business dress IRL.

I don't have much experience with conservative business dress, but I can say that most of these looks would already border on dandyish to begin because of the shoes alone from my experience. All I ever see is dark charcoal gray suits, blue solid shirt, generic tie and black rubber soled shoes. Pocket sqaures? forget about it.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Anyway, I think Spoo would probably just be the dandiest conservative business dress IRL.

laugh.gif
I just dont "get" conservative business dress. I would feel as out of place wearing this sort of thing every day as Manton would in a Tom Ford suit and Versace tie. Horses for courses.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I just dont "get" conservative business dress. I would feel as out of place wearing this sort of thing every day as Manton would in a Tom Ford suit and Versace tie. Horses for courses.

Spizzle, I view it as dressing soberly without being boring. The opposite is dressing FU without looking like a clown.

sellahi22

Reaction score
laugh.gif

conservative business dress doesn't have to be three piece double breasted brown flannel suits with pebble grain bluchers. Manton tends toward a more classic look, which probably reflects his age/job/background. conservative business dress can also be done in a more modern/youthful fashion - see phat guido, yfyf, parker, etc.

The problem with your looks is fit. Your stuff is always too tight and pulls in weird ways. It kind of looks like you shoe-horned yourself into some high-end RTW that you found on sale. This isn't to say that you look bad - you do interesting things with color, and you have a good physique for clothes. You probably come across as well-dressed and stylish IRL, but that doesn't mean that your stuff is technically good or couldn't be dramatically improved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads