• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I'm certainly not an expert in these matters, but I think it looks alright. I'd probably like a little more waist suppression, though. Wait for expert opinions.

By the way, who makes that suit?

I was surprised at the loose fit of the jacket also since the pants were such ball huggers. There is a link to the suit on yoox a page back.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Question about shoes with leather soles:

I just picked up a new pair of Florsheim Imperials, and unfortunately the tips of the toes seem to be rubbing off a LOT - to the point that the tips of the toes (the edge, not the uppers) look white.

I can obviously use edge dressing, but I find it very odd that after every wear they are completely scuffed up. My guess is that the shoes are just a touch too long for me. (Which is weird, because they feel perfect for a fit, but I can tell there is about an inch of space in front of my toe).

Any suggestions? Will edge dressing hold up permanently? Or am I going to end up applying it after every wear?

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Want to buy a pair of RL chinos which come already hemmed with no cuff.

Is it feasible to buy a leg length that is 2" longer than I normally wear and turn this into a cuff? How much cuff would I manage out of it?

Would it look silly as the hem crease has already been set?

Try to get at least 3 or 4 inches more. A standard cuff is 1.5" to 1.75" inches. To cuff it, it gets doubled over and folded back inside the pants. Figure at least 3.25" to get it right.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Question about shoes with leather soles:

I just picked up a new pair of Florsheim Imperials, and unfortunately the tips of the toes seem to be rubbing off a LOT - to the point that the tips of the toes (the edge, not the uppers) look white.

I can obviously use edge dressing, but I find it very odd that after every wear they are completely scuffed up. My guess is that the shoes are just a touch too long for me. (Which is weird, because they feel perfect for a fit, but I can tell there is about an inch of space in front of my toe).

Any suggestions? Will edge dressing hold up permanently? Or am I going to end up applying it after every wear?

Think about getting the toes protected, toe taps, sunken metal plates, topy, something to keep you from wearing the toes so much.

See this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=166337

Some styles of dress shoe are going to fit properly but be longer than you are used to. You will get used to it, but you will probably keep hitting the toes.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Think about getting the toes protected, toe taps, sunken metal plates, topy, something to keep you from wearing the toes so much. See this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=166337 Some styles of dress shoe are going to fit properly but be longer than you are used to. You will get used to it, but you will probably keep hitting the toes.
See, I'm not sure taps would help though, because it's the front part of the shoe, not the bottom of the sole. Here's a picture - this is after only about 5-6 wears! This is my first pair of leather soled shoes and I'm kind of not regretting just getting rubber again =/
shoe-1.jpg

Archivist

Reaction score
See, I'm not sure taps would help though, because it's the front part of the shoe, not the bottom of the sole. Here's a picture - this is after only about 5-6 wears!
shoe-1.jpg

I do the same thing, I'm hard on my toes. It comes form hitting it at an angle right at the edge, and wearing the leather. The taps do help. I got sunken metal plates from BNelson/VIP shoe repair recently, really like them. But even topy (or whatever thin rubber coat) helps with this. Take 'em in to a decent cobbler and show them, see what they think.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Do Vintage Florsheims fit wide? I have an eye on a pair of 9.5C, but I'm 9.5D. Wondering if they would fit me.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Want to buy a pair of RL chinos which come already hemmed with no cuff.

Is it feasible to buy a leg length that is 2" longer than I normally wear and turn this into a cuff? How much cuff would I manage out of it?

Would it look silly as the hem crease has already been set?

IIRC for regular pants you need 2 x the cuff size, and then some, it's on a thread here somewhere
uhoh.gif

-don't know about that last one.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surreal
the hip area is far too tight.
worn inside or outside the trousers the hips on a shirt should never be tight.
worn outside it looks ridiculous, like the pink shirt.
when worn inside it always has a tendency to crawl up out of the trousers.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Can you replace smooth silk facings on a tuxedo with grosgrain? And any idea is to how much it will cost (provided I supply the fabric)?

Thanks in advance.

yes it can be done. i dont know the price, but it takes a real tailor..

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
I'm thinking Nay... The 8 drop is killing me with these tight pants... I should have never squatted that once in high school. Also only about 2" to hem up on these, that model must have been short.

right, dump it.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
See, I'm not sure taps would help though, because it's the front part of the shoe, not the bottom of the sole.

Here's a picture - this is after only about 5-6 wears! This is my first pair of leather soled shoes and I'm kind of not regretting just getting rubber again =/

shoe-1.jpg

that wear is right where the taps are placed.
your shoe man will show it to you.

twelvehundred

Reaction score
Quick Question...

I've lurked for a long time but need to ask for some advice for my old man. I met him today to help with his work clothing and we had a terrible time finding anything that fit well. I suggested MTM and he was receptive, but I think we need to try a few more OTR brands first. He is a big dude, overweight, but also very muscular. He carries his weight in his gut/love-handles but has slimmer legs and shoulders. He's actually not in that bad a shape (works out heavy 5 days per week), he just needs to find the right cut. He feels most comfortable in Tommy Bahama silk pants with 47 pleats that make him look terrible. I promised him that I would help. Other than send him to a bespoke shop, this may be a tall order for me.

The biggest problem is the hips and rise/crotch on most of the dress pants he tried today. He tried Canali, Zanellla, Boss, and JB Britches. The pants that fit him in the waist (36 or 38 depending on the brand) were gigantic in the hip/crotch region. It's like the pants are made for guys that keep getting bigger below the waist. I wanted to find something that much more of a straighter shape, but, after about 30 pairs he had had enough.

Any advice would be appreciated. I promised him another few hours tomorrow. We are in SoCal so have every major retailer within a drive.

Appreciate the help.

Mac

Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
Quick Question:

Is it possible to turn a shirt with a button front, into a stud front. Such as this:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

Would this pose any problems or should it be reasonably simple for a tailor to do?

I'm sure it's possible, seems like a relatively simple switch, but it's an unusual request so it might still be a little costly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads