• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pin-Stripes or Windowpane

Matt S

Reaction score
I'm for windowpanes. Stripes are hard to pull off outside the office. I like Master-Classter's suggestion of a subtle glen plaid with a windowpane. The plaid helps ground the windowpane.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I've experimented over the last year, I've found that I prefer my suits to be as unobtrusive as possible - that's likely because in both my work place and personal life, wearing even a conservative, solid navy single-breasted notch lapel suit is a bold statement. I do have a windowpane suit that I got when I was figuring out my personal style - charcoal, worsted, with a faint chalkstripe in white - but I like it much more as a sports coat.
ffffuuuu.gif
I also have a pinstripe suit and objectively it looks fine but for aesthetic reasons I'm just not a fan of pinstripes - again, I was figuring out my personal style.

But if I had to choose between the two I'd go with pinstripes. Just seems more appropriate for a suit, and will stick out less. But I'd much sooner go for a patterned solid: nailhead, birdseye, pick & pick, etc.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't have a pinstripe already, then I'd get the pinstripe and add a windowpane later. I like windowpane, Glen plaid, and such for "Friday" wear at the office or business casual.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a light grey windowpane similar to the one of the first page. So the consensus is to go with a Blue suit with light non-obtrusive pin-stripes.

Quixote

Reaction score
My preference would be to windowpane for casual, pinstripe for work but it could also be casual too, though I'm not sure if windowpane could be both, guess it depends on the style and the job.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quixote
My preference would be to windowpane for casual, pinstripe for work but it could also be casual too, though I'm not sure if windowpane could be both, guess it depends on the style and the job.

I think that windowpanes are better for work than pinstripes are for outside of work. As long as the windowpane isn't too bold it's fine for anything, including work.

Quixote

Reaction score
Huh I dunno, I guess it always seemed that window pane was more casual and not as good for work, but I guess that has to do with seeing a lot of casual windowpane, though now that I think of it I have seen a number of conservative windowpane suits, I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. In that case I agree that windowpane would be more versatile, though both would be preferable!

I do certainly agree that pinstripe is not as good as windowpane in a casual setting.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits:

Stripes over Windowpanes

Not too keen on very solid or bold stripes though, have to be thin. Prefer dotted / dashed stripes.

Stripe Pros:
Consevative, Sleek

Stripe Cons:
Only Solid color shirts should be worn, or very fine micro checks.

Sportcoats/Blazers/Odd Jackets:

Windowpanes over stripes.

Nuff zed.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Suits:

Stripes over Windowpanes

Not too keen on very solid or bold stripes though, have to be thin. Prefer dotted / dashed stripes.

Stripe Pros:
Consevative, Sleek

Stripe Cons:
Only Solid color shirts should be worn, or very fine micro checks.

Sportcoats/Blazers/Odd Jackets:

Windowpanes over stripes.

Nuff zed.

Striped shirts can be worn well with striped suits as long as the stripes are a different scale. If the suit's stripes are spaced an inch apart or more a bengal stripe shirt will be just fine.

Windowpanes will only work well for sports coats if the windowpane is bold.

Here is a sporty windowpane that can work for both casual suits and sports coats:
2rr6id4.jpg

And here is a windowpane that only works as a suit fabric. I think it would be fine for business:
10hu16a.png

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Windowpanes will only work well for sports coats if the windowpane is bold.

Here is a sporty windowpane that can work for both casual suits and sports coats:
2rr6id4.jpg

And here is a windowpane that only works as a suit fabric. I think it would be fine for business:
10hu16a.png

How about if the second jacket had patch pockets, was unstructured, etc.? I'm not a fan of bold windowpanes - I would stick out like a sore thumb based on my environment.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
How about if the second jacket had patch pockets, was unstructured, etc.? I'm not a fan of bold windowpanes - I would stick out like a sore thumb based on my environment.

I can't see that second one working as anything other than a suit. It's a fairly subdued windowpane, though I've seen ones even more discreet. It's a shame that windowpane suits have fallen out of favour.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I can't see that second one working as anything other than a suit. It's a fairly subdued windowpane, though I've seen ones even more discreet. It's a shame that windowpane suits have fallen out of favour.

I like windowpane as well but again, I feel (hell, I know) I'm making too bold a statement when I wear my one windowpane suit to work. I'm having this made up as a sports coat - unstructured, patch pockets. I'm pretty sure most would agree that it's too tame for a sports coat and is better fitted for suiting but for me, this is a bold pattern, since I'm pretty sedate by SF standards!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads