• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I was looking at real estate sites once mentioned that the house was near the Squat and Gobble. Is squatting and gobbling encouraged here?

Today's episode in "Sweet Jesus, I hate SanFranFrisco" - the sublime and the how ******* lazy are you?

The sublime: Muir Woods - those are some nice trees. Bully for Kent and Roosevelt for saving them.

The HFLAY: real estate agents. I've never seen people so uninterested in doing business. I have a reasonable amount of money to spend on a rental and when I tell an agent that the place their showing me isn't quite what I'm looking for they just smile and thank me for coming by. No, "tell what your needs are and let me find it for you," or "I have another agent in my office that may have what you need." Just "good luck and try craigslist." So now I have to surf a site with people who are looking for a quick squat and gooble?

lefty

P.S. could someone explain recycling to me? It took me 20 minutes to figure out what to do with the garbage from my lunch yesterday.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
P.S. could someone explain recycling to me? It took me 20 minutes to figure out what to do with the garbage from my lunch yesterday.

Basically, almost everything goes into recycling or compost. The only thing to go into garbage is plastic bags because they get caught up the recycling machinery; all other plastic is fine. Then anything remotely compostable goes in the compost bin. So, you probably have something like 75% compost, 20% recycling, and 5% trash; or at least that's what I observe in my home and workplace.

Reaction score
I live in San Francisco and it has its ups and downs. Go to the right neighborhood and you will see beautiful people (i.e.: the marina, russian hill and hayes valley). I hate the homeless people as well- they do get in the way so I have to agree with you on that one. San Francisco is known for public transportation over their cab culture (like in NYC). Regardless, there's some really great shopping and amazing restaurants in this town. The recycling in this city dictates how environmentally concious San Franciscans are- but it still confuses me from time to time! Check out my blog if you want to follow the life of a stylish San Franciscan (born and raised)!

Last edited by a moderator:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Hey, lefty. I get that you don't like SF. But, what city do you like?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Originally Posted by binge
Basically, almost everything goes into recycling or compost. The only thing to go into garbage is plastic bags because they get caught up the recycling machinery; all other plastic is fine. Then anything remotely compostable goes in the compost bin. So, you probably have something like 75% compost, 20% recycling, and 5% trash; or at least that's what I observe in my home and workplace.

Sounds simple but then I got yelled at by a neo-hippie for throwing my plastic cup into the plastic bin...

"Uh, excuse me. That's compostable."
"It's plastic, how the hell is it compostable?"
"It's like made from corn starch."
"How the **** would I know that?"
"You have to read. It's like printed on it."
"Okay, but if it's compostable wouldn't it compost just as easily in a landfill or breakdown in the recycling bin?"
"Y'know we share the world, dude."

Conversation went downhill from there.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Other than NY, those are nice cities. Watch out, because recycling incorrectly or failing to compost is against the law here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to think you're kidding but I know you're not. Is there a single source to read up on how to survive here: street parking, recycling, smoking, crossing the street against the light?

NYC is not perfect but it fits my personality.

lefty

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Though it is exceptionally easy to put someone from San Francisco in a good mood, there are some caveats. When talking to a white person who lives in San Francisco, it is best not to bring up New York City. Though they live in a world class city, San Franciscans have a crippling inferiority complex about New York and even hinting at that will make them very sad or very defensive.

Fortunately, there is a fool-proof method for quickly returning the conversation to a positive, trust-building tone. No matter how much you have offended someone from San Francisco, you can always make them feel better by asking them how they feel about Southern California. They will instantly talk of how it is filled with crime, pollution, hegemonic culture, and the wrong kind of white people: “I swear California is like two separate countries, and I am so thankful that I live in the cultural center of the West Coast.” This will allow them to reassert their superiority and leave the conversation with a positive feeling about themselves and about you.

Can't help you on the Civil Code, but this may be helpful for dealing with the natives.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, mate. I'll try it out tomorrow night.

lefty

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYC is not perfect but it fits my personality.

Yeah, you're fucked.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I can't tell... is this a joke?

$60 for 60-Minute Men's Facial at Castro Day Spa

Castro-Day-Spa.jpg

lefty

Nothing short of brilliant.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
This thread seems a promising place to ask what I should do for fun this Sunday while I'm roaming the streets of SF by my lonesome. I'll be staying at the Hotel Palomar (Union Square?)

Ride BART and take a piss! Free and easy, SF street style.

Lefty, I'd bet dollars to donuts that there are at least 245 incidents of pissing/crapping on the NYC subway each year.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lefty go to dottie's true blue for breakfast. that and the victorians make sf worthwhile

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads