• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginnings of a Charvet Habit....

Moss

Reaction score
I love Charvet ties and the shirts are fabulous. The stacks of shirting are a sight to see.

I prefer the larger spread collar they offer.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
There's a good laundry in Boston that will do cold water wash with no starch and then hand-iron. Expensive and perhaps not as good as the $25 guys, but I've had no issues with shrinkage or other accidents.

Who/where?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Their pajamas are BONKERS.

you have em?? Ive yet to hear any first hand experience with them. I can only imagine you are immediately taken to a cloud by hef with 19 of his centerfolds...all while riding an albino unicorn who breathes fire and spits single malt scotch.
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charvet habit is aka teh afflication of rj

Originally Posted by goldknots

Question, how do people care for their Charvet shirts? Wash at home or send out for service?

average commercial laundry will eff up your shirts, so suggest the following

washing yourself on normal cycle,

hang dry,

iron while damp (for collar iron backside first starting from each point inwards 1/2 way then lightly on front; for cuffs backside first starting from button hole and stretch then lightly on front)...

mens-ex always has pics on this method and also kabbaz website has a overview.

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Watch out for their ties. They are well made, but they are very delicate. Let's see the shirt when you get it.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Ties self-destruct after 2.5 wears. Fantastic business model.

these (solids and printeds) are much more robust/hard-wearing..
IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
you have em?? Ive yet to hear any first hand experience with them. I can only imagine you are immediately taken to a cloud by hef with 19 of his centerfolds...all while riding an albino unicorn who breathes fire and spits single malt scotch.
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

LOL, yeah, something like that.
wink.gif
They are definitely the best pajamas I own, and I have some Borrelli PJs.
smile.gif

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I remember a young Spoo making his first set of SF posts regarding his trip to Charvet....

There is something wrong in the Matrix...

DandySF

Reaction score
The room upstairs with all the cloth selections is phenomenal. The salesman declined my request to take a photo of what's up there. Wish I'd just taken one w/o asking...I've certainly seen enough pics from others who have. I resigned myself to purchasing just a pocket square.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I remember a young Spoo making his first set of SF posts regarding his trip to Charvet....

Those were the glory days, my mang.

Originally Posted by kcc
Charvet's sumptuous silks are unparalleled. Hope you met Yasmina & Alain? They're both classy people

Yasmina is mah gurrrrlll
fistbump.gif

It was considered a special purchase, I got engaged the night before and my fiance bought it for me
inlove.gif

My dude - I got engaged in Paris, went to Charvet the next day. WADDUP

Originally Posted by Imhoff
I put the blame squarely on Spoo for getting me addicted to Charvet ties.

'sup B. You glad I havent cleaned teh closets in a bit? You saving some dough?
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
This is why we need a dedicated "I saw another SF member" thread. Like those ones in low-budget tabloids. ****? Sure. But might be fun. Chief Spoo -- make it happen ...

Not gonna happen.

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
There is something wrong in the Matrix...

Whats that? BTW, your PS shipped this morning.

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
The customs duty on my Charvet were painful, it added about 20% to the price of the shirt if I recall correctly, it's been a few years.

Marc

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time in Paris and today was my last day. Went to Charvet to browse because I considered it one of the sights I had to see. Before it was all said and done, I ordered a custom shirt and picked up a tie to match. I can feel an addiction forming already (thankfully I think the price points will act as a good barrier). Picked a rounded spread collar (it was so new they didn't even have a catalogue number for it yet) with double button barrel cuffs and hidden front placket. Salesman was extra cool, turns out he used to DJ and loves hip hop music such as myself!

Should have it in 5 weeks, the wait will be tense!

Question, how do people care for their Charvet shirts? Wash at home or send out for service?

What a hoe moe

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Admittedly, I haven't seen many examples, but I did get one (RTW) Charvet shirt out of curiosity. I don't care for some of the styling details (3/16" edge stitching, 1.25" placket, flat hem, etc.), but overall the shirt is tasteful and well-executed. Nice cut, nice collar, nice fabric, perfect weight of interfacing, nice buttons & buttonholes. Sewn with a fine thread at just the right stitch length on the various parts. It doesn't have any of the garish hand detailing you see on some Italian shirts. The whole shirt was sewn by machines, but it looks like it was done in kind of an old-timey way without shortcuts. The front placket was cut as a continuous part of the front of the shirt, then folded over by hand (you can tell because it's about a mm wider at the top...). The sleeves were attached without some kind of complicated folder...you can see where the operator adjusted while felling. I think the buttons are sewn on by machine, but they're also shanked, a neat trick. The buttonholes are just fantastic. If they use the same attention to detail fitting the shirts as they do making them you're in for a real treat.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I'm talking about the best fabrics from Alumo, DJA, SIC Tess, etc. Expect to pay 300+ from Hemrajani, Chan, etc. and much more from Ascot Chang. You're probably just thinking of a much lower grade of fabric than what Charvet sells.

Interesting. If that's true, then Charvet is definitely the way to go. I guess I didn't realize that because I can get pretty much any fabrics for less through my source and my tailor is excellent and far less expensive than the brand name tailors. I will have to check next time I'm there.

goldknots

Reaction score
HHD, was it a one button Herringbone blazer and brown suede boots? If so, nice blazer!

Thank you for the compliment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads