• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginnings of a Charvet Habit....

kcc

Reaction score
Charvet's sumptuous silks are unparalleled. Hope you met Yasmina & Alain? They're both classy people

goldknots

Reaction score
The RTW were 285 euro's, the customs started at 335 Euro's, unfortunately given my neck size and body size I had to do half sized neck but full sized shirt body so that kicked it up to 390 euro. Thankfully I got 15% back on VAT so it came out to 331.5 euro for the shirt = roughly $448 US. It was considered a special purchase, I got engaged the night before and my fiance bought it for me
inlove.gif

I'm hoping the tie last a good amount of time, it didn't seem to be one of their more delicate weaves.

I have to say the salespeople were actually delightful to work with...unlike the waiters at every restaurant I went to.

I will post pics when it arrives.

Stedye

Reaction score
I have two Charvet shirts that I got as custom orders through Berdorf Goodman in New York City. They are great shirts! Both are well over 10 years old ,and, still look great. When I first received them I took them to the dry cleaners (Always requesting no-starch or very light starch) and this helped preserve the fabric. I now wash them at home in the machine and hang them to dry.

If you like Charvet you absolutely must try Borrelli and Turnbull & Asser shirtings. Wear well and prosper.

HHD

Reaction score
This is going to sound weird but I think I might have been there at the same time. I was buying a pocket square and some eau de toilette. Herringbone double-breasted jacket, blue tie.

If you're the couple I'm thinking of, you're both very well-dressed!

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
I never had a Charvet shirt. I know Charvet was what Bernie Madoff would wear. I remember when they were auctioning off his clothing and stuff. He must have bought himself dozens of Charvet shirts. He must have spent in the tens of thousands on Charvet Shirts.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me they are superlative shirts, but the experience of figuratively getting buried in bolts of cloth while trying to make up one's mind was almost as fun as getting the shirt
lol8[1].gif
Btw as expensive as the shirt is, prepare to get hammered even more by customs duties. Only european clothes delivery I've ever received where I had to pay duties...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
The RTW were 285 euro's, the customs started at 335 Euro's, unfortunately given my neck size and body size I had to do half sized neck but full sized shirt body so that kicked it up to 390 euro. Thankfully I got 15% back on VAT so it came out to 331.5 euro for the shirt = roughly $448 US. It was considered a special purchase, I got engaged the night before and my fiance bought it for me
inlove.gif

Just to be clear, this is MTM and not custom, right? I thought custom Charvet was something like 550 euros.

Congratulations on your engagement!

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
They're much more than $350/shirt. A shirt in fabric comparable to Charvet's offerings from a HK shirtmaker will cost $300-400. In any event, you might save some money buying shirts from HK, but the savings won't cover the flight and hotel for your trip.

Not if you know a wholesale fabric supplier.
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, that was my point, $350 was a conservative estimate. Regarding HK prices, I've never been quoted $300 or $400 for top fabrics, and I'm not visiting the tailors who are hawking services on Nathan Road. Are you serious?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
This is going to sound weird but I think I might have been there at the same time. I was buying a pocket square and some eau de toilette. Herringbone double-breasted jacket, blue tie.

If you're the couple I'm thinking of, you're both very well-dressed!

This is why we need a dedicated "I saw another SF member" thread. Like those ones in low-budget tabloids. ****? Sure. But might be fun. Chief Spoo -- make it happen ...

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Not if you know a wholesale fabric supplier.
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, that was my point, $350 was a conservative estimate. Regarding HK prices, I've never been quoted $300 or $400 for top fabrics, and I'm not visiting the tailors who are hawking services on Nathan Road. Are you serious?

I'm talking about the best fabrics from Alumo, DJA, SIC Tess, etc. Expect to pay 300+ from Hemrajani, Chan, etc. and much more from Ascot Chang. You're probably just thinking of a much lower grade of fabric than what Charvet sells.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
This is why we need a dedicated "I saw another SF member" thread. Like those ones in low-budget tabloids. ****? Sure. But might be fun. Chief Spoo -- make it happen ...

Ha! It's quite bizarre. Saw this guy in Charvet, heard the accent, thought, "I bet he reads SF" and oddly enough...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a bunch of demi-mesure Charvets, and love them. Service was very good when I went in, and has been very easy since then. Just e-mail your contact telling her what you want to look for, and (magically) a perfect book of maybe 10 samples comes to your house. Just be sure not to ignore the "quality" of each sample. They put a single-digit number on the corner of each label. Prices vary a lot, and more doesn't always mean more useful or desirable. Not when the base fabrics are as good as they are, anyway.

There's a good laundry in Boston that will do cold water wash with no starch and then hand-iron. Expensive and perhaps not as good as the $25 guys, but I've had no issues with shrinkage or other accidents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads