• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not "junk" IMO - but certainly overpriced. Personally I really like most of Boss' cuts, but the construction usually suggests a much lower price point than the pricetag itself.

That said, HB is hardly alone in the Australian market when it comes to this particular crime.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Also saw some chinos in the window of Country Road yesterday. Were a really nice brown/khaki colour.

i just bought a pair
biggrin.gif
in grey/charcoal

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have had a good run with online shopping but finally came a cropper with 2 pair of garbadine trousers from brooks brothers which fit in the waiste but were too tight in the thighs
frown.gif

shopping situation in Perth has me depressed. i did notice a parker and co has opened in claremont tho.

Tano

Reaction score
Its cheaper for me to buy 2 or 3 mabitex $75 wool trousers in different sizes online then 1 in perth. Myers and Fletcher Jones 100% wool start at $170 and thats with no lining, **** fabric and made in china.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I always suggest looking in the mass market stores like Target, K Mart, Big W, Rivers etc for chinos. You'll sometimes be surprised how good some of them are for very low prices. $20 or so. You have to try them on.

Myself Peter Christian chinos suit me well - I have about 6 pair.

Yep, Target chinos can be surprisingly good - or at least they were a few years ago. I used to have a few pairs of them in navy, brown and the usual khaki/beige colour.

However, I now buy most of mind from Charles Tyrwhitt (especially during their deep-discount semi-annual big sales) and from Lands End/Lands End Canvas.

The LE Canvas are much less well made than the Tyrwhitt chinos but they are cheaper (under $30, particularly on sale) and sometimes come in nice colours (brick red, light blue etc).

I've also picked up a few pairs of Brooks Brothers chinos during BB's big semi-annual sales. They are well-made and reasonably slim-fitting, but shipping is quite expensive.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
I thought the Boss Baldessari line was SF Approved? Are the rest really junk or just everybody sticking to the same argument?

Hugo Boss discontinued the Baldessarini line in 2006 or thereabouts.

It was very nice, albeit very expensive in Australia.

The rest of Hugo Boss's stuff is, as others have said, overpriced and generally pretty poorly made.

Tano

Reaction score
Do the milanos run true to size in the waist? is the rise a nut hugger like the mabitex?

Also which is more formal for a sports jacket, the Tyrwhitt or BB Milano?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Yep, Target chinos can be surprisingly good - or at least they were a few years ago. I used to have a few pairs of them in navy, brown and the usual khaki/beige colour.

However, I now buy most of mind from Charles Tyrwhitt (especially during their deep-discount semi-annual big sales) and from Lands End/Lands End Canvas.

The LE Canvas are much less well made than the Tyrwhitt chinos but they are cheaper (under $30, particularly on sale) and sometimes come in nice colours (brick red, light blue etc).

I've also picked up a few pairs of Brooks Brothers chinos during BB's big semi-annual sales. They are well-made and reasonably slim-fitting, but shipping is quite expensive.

aKula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Stay tuned.

I'm organising a low key low cost interesting meetup for lurkers, posters, banned members etc probably Sat 26 March 11 am / lunch. Central Melbourne. (poss Sun 27 if it suits more)

Indicate if it seems ok.

No commitment required.

Sure, sounds good.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fxh: a gathering of smartly dressed gents on a museum day trip?
biggrin.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the milanos run true to size in the waist? is the rise a nut hugger like the mabitex?

Also which is more formal for a sports jacket, the Tyrwhitt or BB Milano?

Thanks

I think that both are true-to-size in the waist, and they have an intermediate rise - not too low, not too high.

Neither of them are really slim-fitting, but nor are they baggy. Both have quite a nice, clean look through the front and thighs, and the Tyrwhitt chino pants are cut wider at the bottom than the BB Milanos. I've actually thought about getting the Tyrwhitt chinos slimmed down slightly at the bottom. I guess that the opening at the bottom of the leg is probably as wide as the usual suit trouser opening, but I prefer my chino pants to have a slightly slimmer opening at the bottom of the leg. If you do, too, you might prefer the BB Milano over the Tyrwhitt.

I guess that the question as to which is more formal depends on what circles you move in. The BB Milanos might look slightly "younger" due to the slightly narrower leg opening, but apart from that they are much of a muchness in style - unless you decide to get a pair of Milanos in a seasonal colour such as bright green or orange, of course!

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
milano chinos are great imho

you can get then for about $40 on special - come in every colour you would ever want

Tano

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Would the stone and khaki colour be the most versatile chinos to match with a sports jacket?

"6"

Reaction score
Thanks guys
Would the stone and khaki colour be the most versatile chinos to match with a sports jacket?

Yes. You could hardly go wrong with those colours as your basics. I would also pick up a pair of grey wool pants and a pair of navy coloured chinos.

When I was overseas I picked up some chinos from Uniqlo at $30 a pop - nice slim (not skinny) fit, with details like a phone compartment in the right pocket. Wish they would hurry up and open a damn store here - but it will probably be in 2030, considering Zara just set up shop
ffffuuuu.gif

Only way to get those here is to order them through the UK website and have a site like VPost to forward them to you.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
The Herrringbone Outlet in Surry Hills (NSW) has some really nice ones last week for under $200. From memory they had some in khaki, navy or powder blue. Not sure if you can get there or if they ship. They also had some in wool for $199, but these had elbow patches (subtle - in the same fabic as the coat, but elbow patches nonetheless).

I got a nice 3 button half-lined, natural shoulder, Italian cotton blazer in fine navy and white stripes (like seersucker but without the 'bubbling'). Reduced from $500 to $70 - so a nice little bargain.

If anyone is interested they also had some long sleeve polos. Good quality, heavy cotton in a bunch of colours and with a pleasing absence of logos (just a small embroided fish in the same colour as the shirt at the cuff) $50.

What is the address of the outlet in Surry Hills? Will pop in there the next Saturday I am in Sydney.

Mind you after spending a week commuting from Kings Cross to Parramatta in the heat and humidity it wont be for a while. I got on one train at Town Hall yesterday and it was a sauna decided to get off at Central and change trains, the next one thankfully was air-conditioned. Even so for the past week I have been taking my shirt and tie with me and changing at the site.

Don't know how people survive the humidity to be honest.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using those self-same trains for the best part of 17 years, Geoffrey. Yes, I don't know how I've coped all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads