• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

HorseHide

Reaction score
I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyachad;4238728 said:
Originally Posted by mediahound
What do people think of crepe soles?

IMO I absolutely do not like Alden plantation crepe soles. They are heavy, feel almost too cushy when walking, are rather ugly looking from the side of the shoe because of the imperfections, and are certainly not for any weather except dry. I sold mine after walking (make that sliding) from the train to work on a rainy day.

Flex welt soles, on the other hand, IMO are fantastic.

I've had the opposite experience - I've worn crepe soled kudu boots all winter and I've been very happy with them. Good traction in the slop and very comfy from the get go.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.

do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I'll try again
smile.gif

do people wear snuff suede w/ khakis? how is the durability of it?

I do - in fact I wear my snuff suede lwbs with khaki's (many different shades - especially nice with chocolate color), flannels (grey and dark brown), and jeans. My rule of thumb is just to not match the shade of the pant with the shoe, except for a tux and black shoes.

I find all of my suede shoes to be very durable. Just lightly brush the knapp once in a while, and spray them every 2 years with some suede / nubuck waterproofer.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jhcam8;4238877 said:
Originally Posted by Beyachad

I've had the opposite experience - I've worn crepe soled kudu boots all winter boot and I've been very happy with them. Good traction in the slop and very comfy from the get go.

^Every 20 pages or so there is debate over the pros and cons of the Crepe sole. It's pretty much split 50/50. Personally, I like them. Yes, it makes the shoe heavier, but it is extremely comfortable on the foot. I just wish Alden would replace the leather sole with a oiled sole to increase the longevity.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beyachad

IMO I absolutely do not like Alden plantation crepe soles. They are heavy, feel almost too cushy when walking, are rather ugly looking from the side of the shoe because of the imperfections, and are certainly not for any weather except dry. I sold mine after walking (make that sliding) from the train to work on a rainy day.

Flex welt soles, on the other hand, IMO are fantastic.

I agree. I hate my crepe soled Aldens. The leather tip is horrible. It wears down in the rain and isn't set level with the rest of the sole. You get a rocking action when you walk, which contributes to the excessive toe wear.

A seriously ****** product in my opinion.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?

But was it imported from France
ffffuuuu.gif

Kenal0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0

Kenal0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide

My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the
odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice.

Kenal0

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice. Kenal0
I heard Horween pumps out citrus air scent out of their building so as not to upset the neighbors too much with chemical and animal hide odors.

Jorge

Reaction score
Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0

In that case, I'll not be taking you on a tour of my stables
smile.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.?.
In 1950 the average Cost of new house in the US was $8,450.00.

The average cost of a gallon of Gas was 18 cents.

All you have to do is invent a time machine and you will save yourself hundreds of dollars!
They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.
This is not Horween's fault. Perhaps you could try to get the US laws changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads