• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Would the database also immediately save pictures that someone might send another someone via PM?
redface.gif

were you surprised at how thick and purplish that vein was?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Just to clarify, unless you are hosting your own images on your own server, you are not the boss of your images. Although, legally (and I've discussed this with our very capable IP lawyer) images, etc... are all copyrighted by the original user, the terms of use of pretty much every hosting service are that you agree to give them full rights to use of those images in any way they wish. Just fyi.
Just to clarify on the images, so you're saying that Photo Bucket and places like that technically have the right to disperse images as they say fit? Even if legally they can do that I imagine they don't too often so as not to annoy their clientele. Regarding Style Forum's future use of images, when you say you'll be archiving them, do we have the possibility to remove the images even after they are archived? For example, if I were to run for public office (which I won't) and thought that maybe photos of me on a clothing forum shouldn't be seen by people anymore, if I remove them from my Photo Bucket account are they then removed from Style Forum as well or have you severed that link? If you have, how can we remove the images from Style Forum if we choose? Put in a request to the MODS directly? I realize once things are on the internet people could have right-clicked save-as all my photos, but curious what our choices are for here moving forward. Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Sounds great, j. When can we expect the transfer over to the new system?

"When it's done", aiming for sometime Q2 this year. Probably at least a couple months from now.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Just to clarify on the images, so you're saying that Photo Bucket and places like that technically have the right to disperse images as they say fit? Even if legally they can do that I imagine they don't too often so as not to annoy their clientele.

Regarding Style Forum's future use of images, when you say you'll be archiving them, do we have the possibility to remove the images even after they are archived? For example, if I were to run for public office (which I won't) and thought that maybe photos of me on a clothing forum shouldn't be seen by people anymore, if I remove them from my Photo Bucket account are they then removed from Style Forum as well or have you severed that link? If you have, how can we remove the images from Style Forum if we choose? Put in a request to the MODS directly?

I realize once things are on the internet people could have right-clicked save-as all my photos, but curious what our choices are for here moving forward.

Thanks!

You always have the right to request removal of images you own the rights to, and we will of course honor those requests.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You always have the right to request removal of images you own the rights to, and we will of course honor those requests.

Got it. Thanks J and I'll let you know of anything else that comes to mind.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For me this is enough, and in concert with the majority of sites out there.

If, for example, you're Jessica Alba, and you found that a site was hosting your image, you could - even if you didn't take the picture - request removal. No one (site, publication, etc) can use an image of you, whether you own the image or not, without your express consent.*

By default, as soon as you post your image on a site, you "give permission" to the site to use it. The same goes for linking your image to a site. However, as soon as you withdraw permission (e.g. ask to take it down), the site must comply.*

*It can get complicated, with releases, usage rights (think 1st Amendment freedom of press, etc) and so on, and so really, anyone can use your image "editorially", but usually the "request removal" is sufficient.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The difference is that I don't have to ask ImageShack permission to delete an image; I just delete it. I don't like the idea of having to ask permission for it.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you are in the world and which websites are linking to your pictures, they may be included in web archiving efforts by your national library. For example. much of Europe has legal deposit legislation which gives national libraries/archives legal authority to archive "national" web content. So, if you linked your images on the Dutch style-forum, then the KB might archive them since they are images linked from a website in the .nl domain. Access/viewing is a separate concern and many of the national libraries do limit access to their web archives, but some do not.

As for the U.S., neither the Library of Congress nor the National Archives perform "domain" archiving since most of the US stuff is in .com/.net/.edu rather than .us. Also, their web archive collections tend to have access limitations due to privacy and copyright concerns. Notable exceptions are the election and end-of-term harvests from the National Archives. However, I doubt styleforum.net is included there.

There may be non-governmental organizations also archiving web content. You probably wouldn't even know if your website or images were archived. NGOs also typically limit access to the web archives as they usually archive things for their own use, not to make accessible on the web. But again, it's unlikely that a university or state library archiving websites for historic or research purposes would be much interested in your shoe pr0n. But, there's always a chance...

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Valid point.

J, since all the images are going to be on SF's servers anyway, would it be fair to ask for access privileges?

Not sure of the cost, but I'll throw this out there: why not have a way for SF users who post their own content (for example, in WAYWRN) to upload their pics to an SF server for management?

I can think of several benefits for this:

1) the amount of users who post their own content is relatively low, compared to those who lurk.
2) it would relieve mods of having to search for & delete users' content when asked to do so. The end result would be the same - users have ultimate right to delete their pics, and removing the step of asking the mods to do so saves the mods' time. Additionally, and this would eliminate the apprehension of many: users would have direct control over their content.

I fear that losing direct control of one's content would prevent many from posting on this site. The net product would decrease - users no longer post interesting content, other users get bored & stop visiting, and the downward spiral continues.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For how long is Fuuma in the hole? The CE needs him. Think about the children!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
^ Valid point.

J, since all the images are going to be on SF's servers anyway, would it be fair to ask for access privileges?

Not sure of the cost, but I'll throw this out there: why not have a way for SF users who post their own content (for example, in WAYWRN) to upload their pics to an SF server for management?

I can think of several benefits for this:

1) the amount of users who post their own content is relatively low, compared to those who lurk.
2) it would relieve mods of having to search for & delete users' content when asked to do so. The end result would be the same - users have ultimate right to delete their pics, and removing the step of asking the mods to do so saves the mods' time. Additionally, and this would eliminate the apprehension of many: users would have direct control over their content.

I fear that losing direct control of one's content would prevent many from posting on this site. The net product would decrease - users no longer post interesting content, other users get bored & stop visiting, and the downward spiral continues.

I think users will be able to delete their own posted pics, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Probably shouldn't say much more until I am clear on how the system will function.

We obviously don't want to discourage people from posting pics - hopefully this will encourage people posting things as the system will be much better and easier than it currently is for most people. I will get more info and clarify. Don't freak out yet!
Originally Posted by iammatt

23 more hours. The children will have to hang on a little longer.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and explanations, binge, UC and j. I didn't ask these questions to be a PIA, but I thought it should be clear what happens to the images. Looking forward to seeing more info on the new situation. And I hope the old threads get saved somehow...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

what do you not have enough for your softball team?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
We don't let Fuuma near minors, or "minors" as he calls them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You guys are assuming Fuuma plans on returning. Personally, I think he's a honey badger and he just doesn't give a ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads