• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

spaceballs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
I had a pair (not IR, though) done for 55 just a few months ago...has it gone up that much?
Not sure. My dealer charges $70 for every boot. It wouldn't surprise me if it really cost less than that.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spaceballs
Not sure. My dealer charges $70 for every boot. It wouldn't surprise me if it really cost less than that.

so a resoled pair would cost $140?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I like them, not even 10 wears and they're comfortable as hell:
DSCN9230.jpg

spaceballs

Reaction score
Just about every thread like this, including this one, talks about applying Obenauf's or Sno Seal or something to preserve the leather.

Has anyone NOT applied anything to these boots and worn them just like that for months?

Before sending mine back, the leather felt very soft and very well oiled. I wouldn't think there would be a need to apply anything to the boots for months. Am I way off?

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about every thread like this, including this one, talks about applying Obenauf's or Sno Seal or something to preserve the leather.

Has anyone NOT applied anything to these boots and worn them just like that for months?

Before sending mine back, the leather felt very soft and very well oiled. I wouldn't think there would be a need to apply anything to the boots for months. Am I way off?

Preventive measures are the best. They're applying snoseal or Obenaufs to help protect the leather to keep it in the good shape it's already in and to help waterproof it. I'm still debating since I like the current color of the hawthornes and like how they've turned out in the pictures that I've seen...dunno. Can't decide whether or not to use them.

spaceballs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
I'm still debating since I like the current color of the hawthornes and like how they've turned out in the pictures that I've seen...dunno. Can't decide whether or not to use them.
I wouldn't use ANYTHING on the hawthornes or any other roughout boot like that. I know about dubbing, and it doesn't look bad, but I would just let that roughout leather ride on its own. Post pictures in a year or so, please.

spaceballs

Reaction score
Ok. Finally got a pair of 8111 that was lasted straight (or close enough). I measure an 11.5 on the brannock device and I bought my Iron Rangers in that size. While they may be a touch too large, I am afraid that the next size down would be too small for thick socks. I have enough room in the back to get a thumb in between my heel and the back of the boot.

So I am reasonably confident that I bought these boots in the correct size.

So there are parts of the upper that are double thick - the cap on the toe and the part where the boot laces up. In between these two spaces is the leather where the boot should break. When this leather bends, it puts a lot of stress onto my toes and the top of my foot. It is pretty painful. These boots aren't broken in much at all but I can barely walk in them as this is pretty painful.

I have seen another similar question earlier in the thread, but no real answer. Has anyone else experienced this and either made it past this point or figured something else out?

Thanks for your help.

I did have these things oiled at the dealer and I applied Obenaufs.

Schpacko

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this:

M8cMz.jpg

my - more or less - brand new amber IRs. I like em a lot, pretty comfortable already.

click here

Reaction score
I have troubles deciding between the amber IRs and the Black IRs!!!

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. Finally got a pair of 8111 that was lasted straight (or close enough). I measure an 11.5 on the brannock device and I bought my Iron Rangers in that size. While they may be a touch too large, I am afraid that the next size down would be too small for thick socks. I have enough room in the back to get a thumb in between my heel and the back of the boot.

So I am reasonably confident that I bought these boots in the correct size.

So there are parts of the upper that are double thick - the cap on the toe and the part where the boot laces up. In between these two spaces is the leather where the boot should break. When this leather bends, it puts a lot of stress onto my toes and the top of my foot. It is pretty painful. These boots aren't broken in much at all but I can barely walk in them as this is pretty painful.

I have seen another similar question earlier in the thread, but no real answer. Has anyone else experienced this and either made it past this point or figured something else out?

Thanks for your help.

I did have these things oiled at the dealer and I applied Obenaufs.

Breaking these guys in isn't easy. Give it a couple weeks and wear them as often as possible. Once they break in though, they're great.

BTW, I sized down to an 11.5 on mine (regularly a 12) and they fit great. Only reason I'm selling mine (see sig) is due to just having too many boots.

Schpacko

Reaction score
Does anybody just treat them like dress shoes, like using wax and polish them?

triumphman

Reaction score
sorry, but another sizing question...

I wear the following:

Alden Trubalance / Barrie sz 7.5.
Clarks DB sz 8
Vans sz 8.5

What size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads