• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Here it is, for reference:

HeavyLinen2.JPG

Opinions?

Mike

I wear this exact combination from time to time and my feeling is that a white linen works much better.

EDIT: Sans tie on this particular day but you get the idea:

5081389527_85fe661009.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the burgundy/cream paisley square shopped into today's fit. Better or worse?

Blue-n-Grey_031511_04.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, this (really good) thread is moving fast.

Originally Posted by gdl203
IMG01198-20110314-0949.jpg

Gdl, though we can't see the whole suit, it looks really nice. Charcoal flannel? Who made it?
(sorry I don't know how to do the spoiler tag thing.)

Originally Posted by Manton
I really can't stand solid socks.

My favorite socks are small-patterned like two-tone birsdeye or micro stripes. Solid from a distance but a little variety up close.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think my overall concern with Spoo's fit is that it's so slim. Fine for going out but not really conservative business dress.

+1. Spoo, your fits all appear a little too sleek/slick for conservative business dress. That look might work better with fancier fabrics and "going out clothes", but not so much for "old man steez".

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Gdl, though we can't see the whole suit, it looks really nice. Charcoal flannel? Who made it?
(sorry I don't know how to do the spoiler tag thing.)

For spoilers, use the
ffffuuuu.gif
button.

This one is RTW, Isaia for Paul Stuart (thanks andrew!
wink.gif
). It's more of a medium grey than charcoal

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Btw, I find this the most interesting of all the Mantonian pronouncements.

I love solid socks because it's one less pattern I have to worry about coordinating.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

For me it depends on what mood I'm in - I tend to wear mainly solids, simple argyles or two colour striped (I did play with bolder 'fun' socks, but apart from a couple of pairs of wild Duchamp socks that I save for rare occasions, I'm more sober most days). My favourite solid socks are purple for black shoes and charcoal suits.
Whoah, I hate that tie. The rest is good, except for the ticket pocket.
+1 on the tie -1 on the ticket pocket
smile.gif

Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
As a general rule, I agree about dark blue shirts. This is the only darker blue that I have and it gets pulled out of the closet about once a month at best (another, however, is on the way from William Field - this one custom). But I think it is effective with this particular combination of tie and suit and it is visually flattering (in person anyway) because it works well with my ruddy skin tone and deep blue eyes.

You do run the risk of looking like those who wear dark shirts and mafia ties, but if the rest of the rig is sober and conservative, I think you can easily dodge that bullet. For what it's worth, Flusser argues in Dressing the Man that you should wear as dark and rich a blue as you can get away given your work environment and skin/hair tone because it adds a wonderful depth to everything else you're wearing. I didn't agree with that at first, but I see his point.

Perhaps part of my problem is having an almost unworn french blue shirt in my wardrobe that I struggle to work out how to wear
blush.gif

What about picking up something from the jacket. Today (I am not conservative business dress, so not posting over here) I have a pink linen square in place, which picks up the pink overcheck in a POW SC. Too much? I thought it worked, but I admit to not being a master of the PS arts....and usually wear a white TV fold.

Mike

My view is that if you pick a minor colour it can work well, particularly if it's not precisely the same tone.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I wear this exact combination from time to time and my feeling is that a white linen works much better.

EDIT: Sans tie on this particular day but you get the idea:

5081389527_85fe661009.jpg

Yes, TC. I am in agreement. I think I prefer the white as well. I usually do where white with these POW SCs, but I wanted to try the pink. I think we have the same SC, IIRC, yours is RLPL as well, right?

Originally Posted by ManofKent
My view is that if you pick a minor colour it can work well, particularly if it's not precisely the same tone.

Thanks, MOK.

Mike

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here it is, for reference:

HeavyLinen2.JPG

Opinions?

Mike

To me it looks okay, but plain cream or burgundy would be my choices.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
After yesterday's "bit too much going on here," I dialed it back a notch with a solid shirt. Was it enough?

The socks feel a bit too casual for this outfit, but I was in a hurry so I just grabbed them.

I think the socks are fine. The PS still looks a little too carefully matched with shirt and tie colours, but overall I like the look.
Originally Posted by PandArts
This is the burgundy/cream paisley square in a few combo with the same suit.

detail1_071409.jpg

detail2_080709.jpg

detail2_090109.jpg

I'd say yes, maybe and no in a downward order.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, TC. I am in agreement. I think I prefer the white as well. I usually do where white with these POW SCs, but I wanted to try the pink. I think we have the same SC, IIRC, yours is RLPL as well, right?

Mike

Yep, same jacket.

As a general rule, the square should not match anything else. Picking up one color in the shirt or tie is OK. Outright matching the shirt is bad, unless it's white + white.

I've come to the same conclusion by trial and error but that's a well articulated approach.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Well done TC for a casual way to wear POW.

Thanks. I didn't mean to muck up the conservative business dress thread with this casual wear but just wanted to illustrate the square for Mike.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about picking up something from the jacket. Today (I am not conservative business dress, so not posting over here) I have a pink linen square in place, which picks up the pink overcheck in a POW SC. Too much? I thought it worked, but I admit to not being a master of the PS arts....and usually wear a white TV fold.

Mike

That sounds OK.

I still think, most of the time, a totally unrelated but complementary square is best.

I tend to find this somewhat matchy-matchy. An overcheck or windowpane normally stands out against the suit's background and as such, a matching pocket square becomes...well....matchy.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
You have a long face. Have you tried a spread collar?

My preference is for more of a soft shoulder look. I came about this preference through trial and error, feedback here, and a realization that I really don't need much assistance in the shoulder zone as I have broad, flat shoulders. If you like Ralph, why not try something from the Polo line, instead of the Black Label line? I see you as more of an OldDog type (he is a Polo guy) than a PandArts type (he is not a RLBL guy, but has suits with similar features). Of course, there are all of the great Neopoliatan RTW makers as well. I know this is all very SF approved stuff, but it still looks great. Groupthink is Groupthink for a reason.

Thanks for your thoughts Mike. You may have something there. I don't own any spreads but plan on commissioning a few with my next shirt order.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Personally I rather like the tie, but then I'm one of those odd people who love paisley, wild Liberty prints etc.

+1 I have some muted paisleys that look wonderful with a winter suit.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
TRINI's tie's too bright for me. I like the color, think the tie's a pretty thing, but wouldn't wear it.
I am very glad you posted this. It is exactly what I was thinking. When I saw that outfit, my first reaction was, "Whoa! Look at that tie!" My impression is that anything you have that reaction to is, by definition, not conservative business dress. Everything has to work together. If your outfit has a "star player," you are doing it wrong. Manton: Could you comment on silver/wedding ties and conservative business dress? Some of the outfits posted appear to have this kind of tie and I was under the impression that this should be avoided.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would wear trini's tie with a blue suit and shirt.

On wedding ties, I love them, but tend to avoid them for business. I say "tend" because I love them so much that I often wear them anyway.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Nice palindromic post count

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads