• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TRINI's tie's too bright for me. I like the color, think the tie's a pretty thing, but wouldn't wear it.

I have a theory percolating that conservative business dress is more about projecting an overall image of sobriety than the specifics of what you wear. In that regard, I'd be more comfortable in a charcoal suit, white shirt, and skinny black knit tie than in a blue shirt and bright yellow tie.

Not that the yellow is inappropriate, mind you. Just more cheery than serious.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Guess I must play. Popped this in WAYWRN a moment ago.

8zgXj.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This is called jacquard? I would have called it pindot oxford or something. The pictures must be misleading about the scale of that pindot because it's probably 1/10th of the scale of the houndstooth in the tie (which is an unlined wool Isaia btw). From 3 feet away, the shirt simply looks like a very light blue solid - you have to be very close to see any texture in it.

I do agree that a solid one would have been better - but I have a strange way to dress in the morning - I start with the shirt, and take them in the order they're hanging on the rack. Then I pick a suit, then a tie, then a square and shoes. But that's a different topic altogether.

The leather cufflinks seem to casual for conservative business dress, although I guess they are somewhat consistent with the suit.

gwolf

Reaction score
i'm liking the black shoes with suits in this thread especially the way man of kent rocks it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The tie's too bright for me. I like the color, think the tie's a pretty thing, but wouldn't wear it.

I have a theory percolating that conservative business dress is more about projecting an overall image of sobriety than the specifics of what you wear. In that regard, I'd be more comfortable in a charcoal suit, white shirt, and skinny black knit tie than in a blue shirt and bright yellow tie.

Not that the yellow is inappropriate, mind you. Just more cheery than serious.

I don't know how old you were 1985-1987 or so, but yellow ties were EVERYWHERE. It was the era of the "power tie" and yellow was the "power color", which was said to change mysteriously from time to time.

I loved yellow ties in those days an I still do. I worked part time at a law firm in the early '90s and a partner would chide me for my yellow ties because he said they were passe.

Still can't stand red.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Guess I must play. Popped this in WAYWRN a moment ago.
Not a fan here.

The shoulders appear to be extremely wide and the coat looks out of balance.

The shirt color is too dark, the collar is too small and has no roll.

The tie I don't like at all. I just don't like complex paisleys. I like paisleys to be small and simple.

As it happens I have on a blue BD today with a yellow(ish) paisley tie. Can't post pics until later.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Not with that tie and those shoes.

Mike

LOL, that one hit me below the belt because I wear them all the time with conservative suits. I just dont like wearing my black lace ups if there is a chance of bad weather.

Doc,

For yellow ties I feel that only a pale yellow is conservative. I consider a solid blue shirt to be conservative business dress, but certainly a bengal stripe in navy on white would be much better fit to a yellow tie with a neat pattern.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't know how old you were 1985-1987 or so, but yellow ties were EVERYWHERE. It was the era of the "power tie" and yellow was the "power color", which was said to change mysteriously from time to time.

I loved yellow ties in those days an I still do. I worked part time at a law firm in the early '90s and a partner would chide me for my yellow ties because he said they were passe.

Still can't stand red.

I love yellow ties as well. I just think Trini's was too bright. Maybe it is more subdued in real light.

Mike

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I love yellow ties as well. I just think Trini's was too bright. Maybe it is more subdued in real light.

Mike

I have yellow ties ranging from very pale to darkish gold, from very vivid to very subdued. I like them all. One does get worn more than the others.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Not a fan here.

The shoulders appear to be extremely wide and the coat looks out of balance.

The shirt color is too dark, the collar is too small and has no roll.

The tie I don't like at all. I just don't like complex paisleys. I like paisleys to be small and simple.

As it happens I have on a blue BD today with a yellow(ish) paisley tie. Can't post pics until later.

The foibles of a photo.

The suit is a Ralph Lauren Black Label that has been tailored heavily by William Field to correct the balance (I have a sway back and slightly rounded shoulders, so everyting OTR needs work to wear correctly). The RLBL suits have somewhat larger shoulders than the norm but not out proportion for me.

You may be right about the shirt; I labor with crap at the moment and this particular shirt dates from my quick buys to account for some major weight loss. Custom shirts are on the way, however, so I expect improvement.

Unfortunately, the lighting wasn't so good so everything appears a bit darker than it is. I fear a lighter shirt would have made the paisley tie jump out a bit too much.

We'll agree to disagree about paisleys. I don't like small paisley patterns. Looks like dancing sperm. Larger paisleys are tricky but if the colors blend, I think they work and add flair without going too dandy.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yellow ties ranging from very pale to darkish gold, from very vivid to very subdued. I like them all. One does get worn more than the others.

Which one?

Mike

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like any of these items. Not my cup of tea at all. That said, it looks like a business outfit - I see shirts of that shade of blue all the time in offices and meetings, whether I like them or not.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
The size of the pattern on the tie is a little close to that on the shirt no? Perhaps it isn't and I just don't really like the pattern on the shirt.
Somehow between the pinstripes on the suit, the shirt and the pattern on the tie it looks a little busy in the close up. It looks fine from the distance shot though.

Thank you. It's probably my favourite shirt though
tinfoil.gif

Maybe a solid navy grenadine would work better...

Originally Posted by NOBD
Latex glove in breast pocket?

(Sorry, MoK. Couldn't resist.)

fight[1].gif

I like the shoes a lot. Everything else is a bit busy but I agree, nothing clashes. I probably would drop one pattern.

Thanks. The shoes are a damp day standard - the leather quality is mediocre (in that it's rather stiff) but they hold up to rain remarkably well.

I thought I was just on the right side of 'too busy' with only two patterns (admittedly one repeated in a different scale) but swapping the tie for a solid would be quieter...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Still can't stand red.

Yeah, that was before my day. And I've never been one for power anything. My battery lacks sufficient charge.

In general, I find it hard to wear any bright tie, except for a cheery look in the spring and summer. I have some deep gold ties I like, but they rarely get worn.

Love red, though, when well applied (meaning not too garish).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads