• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

johnci

Reaction score
Regarding a tuxedo, does the fabric of the lapel have to match that of the bowtie/cumberbund? Specifically, can I wear grosgrain bowtie/bund with a lapel made of satin?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
5517025957_0e6f3cff92.jpg

Is there a name for the styling of this sole? The particular part where the sole has a layer of different material/color to it. I like the look but I wasn't sure the proper word for it.

Heavy lug sole

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
Now I have something new to watch for while trying on pants. Thanks.
happy.gif

I Just picked up a pair of summer wool trousers and will reassess their fall.

Always welcome.
Personally for summer I prefer to keep pants on shorter side, but just a little bit, so when you walk, you can see a glimpse of colourfulsocks.

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnci
Regarding a tuxedo, does the fabric of the lapel have to match that of the bowtie/cumberbund? Specifically, can I wear grosgrain bowtie/bund with a lapel made of satin?

To be honest I am not sure myself. But after dusting off the shelf, I asked Alan Flusser, and he said:

"The semi-formal black silk bow's texture is governed by the jacket's lapel facings-a satin bow for satin facings, a ribbed or pebble-weave for grosgrain facings" (c) Dressing the Man.

There you go.
laugh.gif

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
If this your basic Grey, then I would recommend neutral colour button.
It will be easier to match with black or brown, or any other colour shoes/belt you are wearing.

Also, it seems from picture that pants are fairly slim, which is very good. However please consider that the bottom part of pant is narrower, and it would rest on your shoes higher than traditional wider leg pant. This will create lots of "curtain" action. To avoid that, I would recommend to do fittings only with the shoes on (preferably your regular style), and hem them slightly shorter than traditional pants so you would have no more than single break.

I was thinking no break and cuffs.... too much?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
And another question.

This suit is on the way, and assuming it fits well and I keep it, the wood buttons have to go. Suggestions? Tan/light brown seems like an obvious replacement keeping with the color that was originally provided. But my gut says to stick with a dark or light grey button to keep things very neutral.

Everything about that model is bad. The jacket is too short, the pants are too long, everything is too tight, and he has both buttons buttoned. Don't make those same mistakes, make sure it fits you.

Cockpit of buttons is up to you. I think dark or light could equally work well.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to buy a pair of RL chinos which come already hemmed with no cuff.

Is it feasible to buy a leg length that is 2" longer than I normally wear and turn this into a cuff? How much cuff would I manage out of it?

Would it look silly as the hem crease has already been set?

Knisse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I don't own the Mont Blanc version, but I do own a similar model. There might be room for one or two credit cards, but I would not count on it to take the place of a wallet.
Thanks. I only have three credit cards to walk around with, and one more if I am traveling, still not sure if i should take the risk of buying.

rossyl

Reaction score
Pocket square + sport coat?

I have a sport coat in a dark olive, as shown here.

14ifj45.jpg

or see here:http://i52.tinypic.com/14ifj45.jpg

I wear it with blue khaki's or jeans.

I was thinking of using a white pocket square along with a white/blue candy stripe shirt (as shown), or a white/dark green check shirt - that i often wear with this jacket.

Good idea? Wrong colour?

gyalos

Reaction score
Just a quick q: Is it possible to transform a 3-functional button sleeve to a 4-button one? Is it really worth the effort?
Note that the 3 functional sleeve buttons are rather sparse (compared to a "standard" 4-button arrangement).

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyalos
Just a quick q: Is it possible to transform a 3-functional button sleeve to a 4-button one? Is it really worth the effort?
Note that the 3 functional sleeve buttons are rather sparse (compared to a "standard" 4-button arrangement).

Definitely possible, but I wouldn't bother. Three sleeve buttons is 100% acceptable on a two-button jacket.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
Want to buy a pair of RL chinos which come already hemmed with no cuff.

Is it feasible to buy a leg length that is 2" longer than I normally wear and turn this into a cuff? How much cuff would I manage out of it?

Would it look silly as the hem crease has already been set?

Can anyone help with this?

AChekhovGun

Reaction score
For the love of God, someone explain the purpose of the ".." editing method to me so I don't go crazy.

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
I was thinking no break and cuffs.... too much?
Somebody once told me to be careful about cuffs on slim pants, but if you are thinking no break, I don't see why not. Just try it on and make sure it looks fairly proportional.
Originally Posted by inimitable
Can anyone help with this?
You are probably better off asking your tailor, but i doubt it is possible to get any more than 3/4 inch cuffs, if it is possible after all, unless it's a fake cuff.

dnfuss

Reaction score
I'm new, so please take it easy on me. Searched for this, but didn't see an answer. I want to buy a pair of woven-leather tassel loafers suitable for wear without socks for semi-dressy occasions in tropical climes (efforts to talk me out of this will probably not succeed). Cole-Haan used to carry a model called the Rivaldi under their Bragano line that was just what I want (see attached) and came in my size, 9.5W. Alas, I have waited too long and they no longer carry it. Is there someone else who makes this shoe? To make it even more difficult, my budget is <$400. All suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads