• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ghosts? No. Shadow people/djinn/mothman? yes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly a "ghost" story in the strict sense of the word, but very similar:

Last night I was reading Izaak Walton's Life of Dr. John Donne. Donne had left his pregnant wife to accompany his patron, Sir Robert Drewry, on a diplomatic mission to Paris. "...two days after their arrival there, Mr. Donne was left alone in that room in which Sir Robert, and he, and some other friends had din'd together. To this place Sir Robert returned within half and hour: and, as he left, he found Mr. Donne alone; but, in such an Extasie, and so alter'd as to his looks, as amaz'd Sir Robert to behold him; insomuch that he earnestly desired Mr. Donne to declare what had befaln him in the short time of his absence ? to which, Mr. Donne was not able to make a present answer: but, after a long and perplext pause did at last say, 'I have seen a dreadful Vision since I last saw you: I have seen my dear wife pass twice by me through this room, with her hair hanging about her shoulder and a dead child in her arms; this have I seen since I saw you."

Sir Robert tried to persuade him it was merely a dream, but Donne insisted that he was awake and persisted in maintaining the reality of his vision. Finally, Sir Robert dispatched a servant back to England to see if anything were, in fact, amiss.

"The twelfth day the Messenger returned with this account--That he found and left Mrs. Donne very sad and sick in her bed: and that after a long and dangerous labor she had been deliver'd of a dead child. And, upon examination, the abortion [stillbirth] prov'd to be the same day, and about the very hour that Mr. Donne affirm'd he saw her pass by him in his Chamber."

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think positive reinforcement explains a lot of the stories behind peoples' premonitions of death of those close to them. If you know someone is close to you is ill, you worry about them. You will often dream about them or spend time thinking of them during waking hours. If the ill person then dies, there is a fair chance that someone was worried about them or dreaming of them at that time. The person who was thinking / dreaming of the person who died will have the impression that they had an inexplicable connection to the dead person.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my early 20's I got this ****** job at a bakery that was near my home. I would leave my place like at 4:00 am and walk since it wasn't that far. Anyways... I saw something truly horrible and I constantly tell my self it was just my imagination. I felt true terror that early morning to the point I became paralyzed with fear. I seriously hope you guys never see what I saw that day.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conne's exposed buttcheeks?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
In my early 20's I got this ****** job at a bakery that was near my home. I would leave my place like at 4:00 am and walk since it wasn't that far. Anyways... I saw something truly horrible and I constantly tell my self it was just my imagination. I felt true terror that early morning to the point I became paralyzed with fear. I seriously hope you guys never see what I saw that day.

What did you see? C'mon, don't leave us hanging!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
What did you see? C'mon, don't leave us hanging!

That's why I don't like to think about it. No way it was a ghost, human, animal etc. Maybe I was seeing ****.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this was, :
I'd been on the road all day and it was late and I was tired when I got a lift on the back of a ute going north out of Tamworth, a friendly young couple driving. Started to rain so I curled up behind the cabin and just fell asleep.
Well I woke up a long time later, and we were still trundling along, it had got very cold, we seemed to be up in the mountains, it was absolutely pitch black everywhere except for the headlights, and the road was narrow and bumpy. I knew we must have come off the highway from where I wanted to be, so I banged on the roof of the cabin.
They'd decided to cut across from Glen Innes towards the coast and was that okay? I remember it was about 2am. It wasn't the way I wanted to go, so i thanked them and they took off. My big mistake. It was so dark I could barely see my hand in front of my face. After walking along by feel for a while I saw some lights in the distance, a car, wobbled towards me, and stopped. There were maybe 9 or 10 aborigines, laughing and grinning at me, on their way home, they said, to their land (like a reservation) somewhere up the road. I was kinda relieved we weren't going the same direction, even tho they weren't unfriendly.

Kept walking and a bit later i spotted a vague white shape to my left. It was a shed, so because it was still raining lightly I pulled out my swag and went back to sleep against the outside wall.
I dont know how long I was there, but I remember I was dreaming, not a good dream, when i woke up. It was freezing cold, I was shivery, and there was a long keening wail coming from inside the shed - that got louder and built to a cry, and then to a scream that just kept going. I was young, totally alone, and miles from civilization, and wasn't going to wait and see what was next. i just grabbed my bag and ran, crashed straight into a fence, hobbled out onto the road and kept going the rest of the night, all the way to Glen Innes. Never found out what it was = an animal, a ghost, ... human?? and when I got to Glenn Innes it was dawn, I got another lift, and it was the best hitch I ever got .. but that's another story.
Years later I was in a relationship with a Kamileroi woman from around those parts. She told me about the bull-roarer, an aboriginal sacred object used to frighten the uninitiated...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

That's why I don't like to think about it. No way it was a ghost, human, animal etc. Maybe I was seeing ****.

you mentioned it first and then you say you dont like to think about it. can you tell us what you saw that was truly terrifying?

please?

eh.gif

i'll be your best friend?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Not sure what this was, and in retrospect I guess I was a bit gutless, but u had to be there:

towards the end of the '70s I spent some time travelling around the country (Oz) picking fruit, seeing the world. It was winter, and i was hitch-hiking form Tasmania to Brisbane on the inland route via New England tableland. I'd been on the road all day and it was late and I was tired when I got a lift on the back of a ute going north out of Tamworth, a friendly young couple driving. Started to rain so I curled up behind the cabin and just fell asleep.
Well I woke up a long time later, and we were still trundling along, it had got very cold, we seemed to be up in the mountains, it was absolutely pitch black everywhere except for the headlights, and the road was narrow and bumpy. I knew we must have come off the highway from where I wanted to be, so I banged on the roof of the cabin.
They'd decided to cut across from Glen Innes towards the coast and was that okay? I remember it was about 2am. It wasn't the way I wanted to go, so i thanked them and they took off. My big mistake. It was so dark I could barely see my hand in front of my face. After walking along by feel for a while I saw some lights in the distance, a car, wobbled towards me, and stopped. There were maybe 9 or 10 aborigines, laughing and grinning at me, on their way home, they said, to their land (like a reservation) somewhere up the road. I was kinda relieved we weren't going the same direction, even tho they weren't unfriendly.

Kept walking and a bit later i spotted a vague white shape to my left. It was a shed, so because it was still raining lightly I pulled out my swag and went back to sleep against the outside wall.
I dont know how long I was there, but I remember I was dreaming, not a good dream, when i woke up. It was freezing cold, I was shivery, and there was a long keening wail coming from inside the shed - that got louder and built to a cry, and then to a scream that just kept going. I don't want to feel terror like that ever again, and with luck i never will. I was young, totally alone, and miles from civilization, and wasn't going to wait and see what was next. i just grabbed my bag and ran, crashed straight into a fence, hobbled out onto the road and kept going the rest of the night, all the way to Glen Innes. Never found out what it was = an animal, a ghost, ... human?? and when I got to Glenn Innes it was dawn, I got another lift, and it was the best hitch I ever got .. but that's another story.
Years later I was in a relationship with a Kamileroi woman from around those parts. She told me about the bull-roarer, an aboriginal sacred object used to frighten the uninitiated...

Was it a large shed? My understanding is that you need a fair amount of room to swing a bull-roarer. Otherwise it might have been something else.

Seeaann

Reaction score
Ghosts as in the 'spirits of the desceased' are not real nor are they biblical. They are rather what the Bible calls "familiar spirits" as in demons from the spiritual dimension that have a history of ones family and therefore can imitate the deceased in order to decieve. This idea of immediate life after death is contradictory to what the bible teaches and the concept of resurrection and judgement day for the wicked. Sadly, so many biblical truths have been lost from the christian churches today, even amongst bible readers.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seeaann
Ghosts as in the 'spirits of the desceased' are not real nor are they biblical. They are rather what the Bible calls "familiar spirits" as in demons from the spiritual dimension that have a history of ones family and therefore can imitate the deceased in order to decieve. This idea of immediate life after death is contradictory to what the bible teaches and the concept of resurrection and judgement day for the wicked. Sadly, so many biblical truths have been lost from the christian churches today, even amongst bible readers.

What about Jesus' words to the penitent thief, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise" (Luke 23, 43)?

As to ghosts and related phenomena being demonic deceptions, it's hard to see what demons would accomplish by banging around as poltergeists or drifting around as wraiths in empty rooms in old houses. I doubt many souls would be seduced to Hell by such goings on. Getting them to peruse Internet Appreciation sites would be incomparably more efficacious these days, I should think.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seeaann

i agree with you wholeheartedly. nice to meet you seeaann. i have a cousin named "Sueann".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads