• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer too short after having it altered?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may help to tuck in the pocket flaps and send us a new photo. This may correct the asthetics.

alexanduh

Reaction score
i think if you slimmed the jacket it would be alright seeing as right now the silhouette is quite boxy.

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
Looks like a Hickey Freeman jacket that wants to be a Prada. I'd toss it. However, for the regular population most won't even notice or care.

+1

The short length doesn't work with an otherwise traditional looking jacket. I wouldn't wear it, even if 90% of the population wouldn't notice it I wouldn't want to wear something that I didn't think looked right.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
Looks like a Hickey Freeman jacket that wants to be a Prada.
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by alexanduh
i think if you slimmed the jacket it would be alright seeing as right now the silhouette is quite boxy.
exactly. the proportions have been somewhat thrown off, but they can also be somewhat rescued if you pulled it in a bit. but, proceed with caution, lest you end up with a HF that wants to be thom browne.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Button the middle button - it is quite common on 3 button jackets to button just the middle. I do in any case habitually.

Usually I button just the middle one, here I tried to make up for the missing length. With just the middle one, I think something looks more wrong than before. (see below)

By seems of it, you are like me, conservative with occasional taste for eccentricity.
Could be.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cncrd
I was going to suggest a trick my tailor once tried for me on an L-length jacket that had a high button stance. He raised the pocket flaps about 3/4", so that they still covered the pocket opening, but gave the jacket better balance. It seems like a small adjustment, but having the flap that little bit higher worked to bring the shortened jacket back to a better proportion.

Very good idea. Thanks.

But looking at your jacket, it seems that the button positioning is really too low to do much. If you button the middle button only, you'll really see how much the balance is off now. It seems to look better with the top two fastened than it might with the middle one only.
Yes, the best buttoning point would be between the top two.

Originally Posted by blahman
I don't know. As a newbie, I do not possess the keen eye for the details experienced members have but looking at it there's a feeling of something not right about it - a sort of nagging discord.

Exactly this is what I think. Since many of the rules are aimed for delivering a pleasent appearance to the common fellas, I guess most people will notice but can't say--in opposition to the expert--where the problem is.

Anyway, here are some additional pictures, this time only with the middle button closed.

Pocket flaps turned inside:

EutVf.jpg

Waist taken in a bit (with the help of clamps in the back):

5RzS2.jpg

There are possibly issues with the area around the top button, so I guess my first take with buttoning the top two was better.
However, I'll take this opportunity to see what can be done with this blazer to rescue (of fvck up) as much as possible.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Nope. Proportions are too off. Sorry.

Laypeople will probablynotice.

That's what I think, too. Anyway, I'll ask my tailoress about putting the pocket flaps higher and take the waist and chest in, I just wanna see.

But! You could go for the Black Fleece look.
You probably mean this. This looks a bit like for the catwalk. But why not...

hammer07

Reaction score
Definitely better with the flaps tucked in and I think most people probably IRL won't notice apart from that taking off 3" makes it look quite short on you. Next time 1.5-2" might be better. If you want to find a jacket you can trim down a little more than 1", look for one which has the pockets set a bit higher, a higher buttoning point, and the vents a little longer than usual as the one you have now has a pretty low buttoning point IMO.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hammer07
Definitely better with the flaps tucked in

I manipulated yesterday's picture and put the flaps 75% higher than they are. I think it looks a bit better now:

iEBNJ.jpg

and I think most people probably IRL won't notice apart from that taking off 3" makes it look quite short on you.
It would be interesting to research into common perception. I couldn't find in my literature anything (based on empirics) about how people actually perceive the fit and proportions of clothes and what attributes they associate with the wearer. I'm not thinking about something complicated, just making a kind of an A/B test and showing people different pictures with good and bad fit. Well, that's for another thread...

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Yes! But people buy the stuff!

I'm fine with it. So accidentally I could even become fashionable.
smile.gif

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
yup looks a tad too short. still wearable though as most people probably won't notice

+1. Not quite right, but 99% won't know. However if you feel self conscious about it, give it away and move on.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jan_
...It would be interesting to research into common perception. I couldn't find in my literature anything (based on empirics) about how people actually perceive the fit and proportions of clothes and what attributes they associate with the wearer. I'm not thinking about something complicated, just making a kind of an A/B test and showing people different pictures with good and bad fit. Well, that's for another thread...

This would make for possibly entertaining material. Video record this research
biggrin.gif

Most people would just stare at you with a quizzical look as you ask them about "the balance" of the jacket. As for length, maybe some men will say its short, but only because the jackets they are wearing are too long, including the sleeves.

Most people IRL perceive how a wearer clothes fits by comparing the wearer with Bradd pitt, ESPN announcers, or any other public figure associated with wearing suits and or jackets.

People on SF use the people on WAYWRN as their measuring stick.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Most people would just stare at you with a quizzical look as you ask them about "the balance" of the jacket. As for length, maybe some men will say its short, but only because the jackets they are wearing are too long, including the sleeves.

I wouldn't ask them about fit. I'd ask them about what they think about this guy's social/economic status, whether he's credible (political statement, expert's opinion, ...) a.s.o., the A/B-testing would then show to A and B the same people with the same statements but with different outfits (some well-fitting, others are not).

So would I be judged different with my short blazer and a better-fitting SC? Am I more credible than the guy with the sleeves that are 2" too long and the trousers with a more-than-a-full-break? My hypothesis is that there are differences that can be measured.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jan_
^...
I see. If you start with a null hypothesis, this actually would be an interesting sociological study (even if there are similar ones). We sort of take it for granted that clothing act as signifiers of status and "prestige." The neat thing about sociological studies is that they reveal such tacit things through empirical evidence. I'd be interested to know what females ages 21-29 think of the fits and styles of fellow SF'ers
biggrin.gif
. A study between internecine subjects (i.e. all businessmen who claim to wear Conservative Business Dress) would also be interesting to compare with other demographics. Have you any sociological background? I was a humanities major, so these things always pique my interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads