• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP- thanks, you answered some questions i was to embarrased to ask
smile.gif

Originally Posted by voxsartoria

eek.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
OP- thanks, you answered some questions i was to embarrased to ask
smile.gif

Pumps - To the untrained eye, girl shoes
You can still wear them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You can still wear them.

thats a relief thanks

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
This is just the kind of primer info that Is necessary when we n00bs show up.

Might I suggest also adding some info on ties. Perhaps also fabrics. The two not necessarilly together. Specifically perhaps different tie constructions (6, 7 fold, etc), knots (4 in hand, windsor, etc), exotic tie materials that may not have been seen (knit ties, cashmere, grenandine), I've seen a number of questions about bow ties since arriving. For fabrics, things like what "super 1xx" means, tweed, twill, all that stuff.

Not that this is necessarily things you need to go into, but those are questions I've found myself searching for. For some of this, there are disparate links scattered about that could be useful, rather than rehasing it. Hell, a list of links - like David Hober's guides, A Tailored Suit guides, etc, would be good and (hopefully) keep some folks who are less inclined to look at the top right of their screens from starting new threads.

I think this is all stuff for people who've been here a bit debate. I'm trying to keep it somewhat pruned. If it's too long, body will read it.

Originally Posted by Tano
Some Terminology:
Inseam (I) = The inseam is the distance from the crotch to the leg opening
Outseam (O) = The outseam is the entire length of the jeans...measured from the top of the waist...down the side- all the way down to the leg opening
Front Rise (FR) = The front rise is the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband
BackRise (BR) = The back rise is from the crotch seam to the top of waistband in the back
Thigh (Th)= From the crotch seam to the edge of the leg
A (Ankle) (cuff, leg opening)=
Hips = Measure the hips is flat across the base of the zipper
BoC: Bottom of Collar to end of jacket

Mind if I burglarize this wholesale? Gonna do it anyway actually.

Tano

Reaction score
yep, sure. I wish i had all this info before.

You can also add 'What to look for in a good shirt' (subjective):
2ply yarn shirts
Non fused collars and cuffs
Single-needle stitching
MOP buttons
Pattern Matching at shoulders
Thread count >=100

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hah! You held out for a whole week, almost to the minute. And you devoted your 25,000th post to Andy Gilchrist! I'm sure Andy will be very proud. Now go post something useful in Manton's conservative business dress thread.
wink.gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I think this is all stuff for people who've been here a bit debate. I'm trying to keep it somewhat pruned. If it's too long, body will read it.

Fair enough. Alternatively, I would say we should put this (in perhaps an expanded form with info pruned in detail from good topics where it's discussed) in the wiki, but I don't know how many folks think about the wiki.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Hah! You held out for a whole week, almost to the minute. And you devoted your 25,000th post to Andy Gilchrist! I'm sure Andy will be very proud. Now go post something useful in Manton's conservative business dress thread.
wink.gif

It was an onomatopoeia before it was about Andy.
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Fair enough. Alternatively, I would say we should put this (in perhaps an expanded form with info pruned in detail from good topics where it's discussed) in the wiki, but I don't know how many folks think about the wiki.
This isn't really meant to be a replacement for the wiki (which I still consider a worthwhile project.) When I get some more time I'll edit it a bit and root out all the typos. For the time being, I'm trying to keep it in the front 2 pages so the new folk can track it down. I thought about telling them to use the search function, but the search is only as good as the terms used. I hope after reading this they'll feel compelled to search some of the terms learned here.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I suggest for the benefit of non-Americans (or those buying English shoes), you re-title Oxfords as something like 'Dress shoes'? In the UK an Oxford only refers to a Balmoral i.e. Derby/Blucher Oxford/Balmoral.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Can I suggest for the benefit of non-Americans (or those buying English shoes), you re-title Oxfords as something like 'Dress shoes'? In the UK an Oxford only refers to a Balmoral i.e. Derby/Blucher Oxford/Balmoral.

I added a note about the terminology.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Good idea. Imo, you might add links to important threads on each topic, such as A Harris's "Shoes Explained" and tutee's "On Pants": http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=tutee+pants

I started reading this well informed thread (on pants) and noted the pictures are working due to domain violation issues. This is a real let down since I am trying to learn about this right now and my hopes have been shattered on the rocks of image blocking.

Drat!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
I started reading this well informed thread (on pants) and noted the pictures are working due to domain violation issues. This is a real let down since I am trying to learn about this right now and my hopes have been shattered on the rocks of image blocking.

Drat!

If you're really after it, the previous solution mentioned has been to quote whatever post(s) you're reading, copy the URLs out, then paste them into a browser window.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads