• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help Me Make An Important Career Decision Before Monday!!!!!

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
I don't understand why people keep assuming just because one has a Masters from MIT means that they will have any job!

The OP i think clearly stated he is in an obscure field and jobs may be hard to come by in his field in the recession.

Anywho, to the Original poster:

I don't know what to tell you. You seem to be trying to choose between a rock and a hard place.

miran

Reaction score
Yeah, i don't think i have the guts to do this.

i'm staying put. kiss everything goodbye.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran
Yeah, i don't think i have the guts to do this.

i'm staying put. kiss everything goodbye.

did they make a better offer or what? did you explain why or just politely decline?

miran

Reaction score
No. they did not make me a better offer.

In fact, I asked my boss at my present job for a leave of absense for 1 week for "personal reasons" (to at least go and try out the new place.)

He refused.

I just told them at the new job that I apologize for misleading them but I have come to the conclusion that I will not be a good fit for the place.

Kiss everything goodbye. I feel like **** and feel like I am a coward that could not take the bull by the horns. Back to the grind in my old place, where they pay me a piddly 65k and my boss doesn't even give me a week off!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kiss everything goodbye. I feel like **** and feel like I am a coward that could not take the bull by the horns. Back to the grind in my old place, where they pay me a piddly 65k and my boss doesn't even give me a week off!

You are guaranteed to go a long ways in life with this attitude.
sarcasm.gif

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You are guaranteed to go a long ways in life with this attitude.
sarcasm.gif

Didn't you advise this guy NOT to move to the new offer he got?!??! What do suggest he do?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Didn't you advise this guy NOT to move to the new offer he got?!??! What do suggest he do?

He made the right decision.
My next suggestion to him will be to improve his attitude.

Do these sound like the words of someone you'd like to hire?

1. Kiss everything goodbye
2. I feel like **** and feel like I am a coward
3. Back to the grind in my old place
4. where they pay me a piddly 65k
5. my boss doesn't even give me a week off!

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
He made the right decision. My next suggestion to him will be to improve his attitude. Do these sound like the words of someone you'd like to hire? 1. Kiss everything goodbye 2. I feel like **** and feel like I am a coward 3. Back to the grind in my old place 4. where they pay me a piddly 65k 5. my boss doesn't even give me a week off!
I am not saying anything about whether the OP made the right decision. But I do sympathize with him now, when he turned down 85k for 65k. I also had difficulty finding a job in this economy. 85k for an engineering job IS a rarity and a windfall, no matter how one gets it. I don't know why he turned it down, maybe ethical reasons, but it is tough decision especially when he has his eyes on a watch like he said.

miran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
I am not saying anything about whether the OP made the right decision. But I do sympathize with him now, when he turned down 85k for 65k. I also had difficulty finding a job in this economy. 85k for an engineering job IS a rarity and a windfall, no matter how one gets it. I don't know why he turned it down, maybe ethical reasons, but it is tough decision especially when he has his eyes on a watch like he said.

I really dont' know why i didn't take the new job, it just didn't feel right. i guess i think with my gut, not with my head.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. they did not make me a better offer.

In fact, I asked my boss at my present job for a leave of absense for 1 week for "personal reasons" (to at least go and try out the new place.)

He refused.

I just told them at the new job that I apologize for misleading them but I have come to the conclusion that I will not be a good fit for the place.

Bro, I get paid 36K a week (up from 33K when I started 6 months ago) working 60+ hours, getting yelled at for not doing something correctly that other groups are supposed to do but just dump it off for my group to handle, running around trying to keep tabs on what's going on with everything in my operation, keep track & analyze what's going on with the costs associated with our business while trying to cut costs, and manage budget.

A week off? I'm lucky if I get more than 2 days off.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bentley

Reaction score
The criminal at the new place is the trump card: I'd stay where you are and keep your eyes open to other opportunities.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics