• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think I have an imageshack account of any kind. I will look into it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Weird, why does it work for me? What do you see there? I guess we can add Imageshack to the list of companies that are attempting to kill themselves off.

imageshack.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, so I get the same thing when I use IE instead of FF - must have picked up a cookie somehow. Apparently tons of people/sites are having this issue now.

Anyone know how to write a script that will download all imageshack images and host them on our server, and change all the links in the forum database? Me neither.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing. ImageShack is to Imgur what Hotmail is to Gmail... old and tired and trying to hook you in and bait you and fill your email signatures with their spam. Let's dump those douchebags.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Hmm, so I get the same thing when I use IE instead of FF - must have picked up a cookie somehow. Apparently tons of people/sites are having this issue now.

Anyone know how to write a script that will download all imageshack images and host them on our server, and change all the links in the forum database? Me neither.

Your FF probably has cached versions of those images. I think imageshack was hitting major bandwidth issues and is cutting down on big sites.

Depending on what posts look like in the database it could be trivial, or else it could be extremely complicated. If you PM me a post (as it shows up in the database) that has an imageshack image in it, I could take a look at it.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

j, if I view an image at imageshack first, then I can then see it here. Your images for example, I went and looked at the big bad wolf, now it loads here, the others do not. So you'll probably see images you upload yourself. You will not see images you personally have not viewed at imageshack.

I've tried registering for an imageshack account, and being logged in there, it does not help. I've tried fragging any cookies set by imageshack (they set quite a few) and coming in clean, both authenticated at imageshack and not, and that does not help.

Seems inevitable, I've never understood the business model of hosting images for free. Shame about all the old stuff posted here that is hosted there.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I have a serious and legit complaint to launch here... why is it that NOBODY seems to put the SIZES in the titles of their for sale threads. It's crazy! What's the point of just listing expensive brand names? you gonna stroke your ego with the viewcount? It's a pain ********** because 90% of the people click just out of interest (any maybe to comment - ie free bump) on stuff that's not even relevant to them. I think this makes for a negative B&S experience and for taht reason I think it should be enforced to some extent that sellers have to post even a general size range in their titles...

anyone?

J am I on your ignore list
eh.gif

nest.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sizes in B&S

Just speculation - but my thoughts are that with a limited amount of characters to enter things in a title, and with many sellers listing non-sized items, or multisized items (48,50, 52, 54, etc), It would seem a little more beneficial to list names to entice buyers to click and purchase, rather than eat up those precious characters listing sizes.

Example : Say Im selling a Kiton suit size 48, Brioni suit size 50, Zegna suit size 52, Edward Green shoes size 8.5/9, 2 Charvet ties, and a Dingman belt size 36 in the same thread. I would much rather include all those brand names to get clicks and increase my ratio of impulse purchases than eat up 13 characters (plus spaces or commas) than omit a name.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
J am I on your ignore list
eh.gif
nest.gif

Bump for a great seller! Nothing in my size here but I'm very jealous of whoever ends up with this.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Just speculation - but my thoughts are that with a limited amount of characters to enter things in a title, and with many sellers listing non-sized items, or multisized items (48,50, 52, 54, etc), It would seem a little more beneficial to list names to entice buyers to click and purchase, rather than eat up those precious characters listing sizes.
Example : Say Im selling a Kiton suit size 48, Brioni suit size 50, Zegna suit size 52, Edward Green shoes size 8.5/9, 2 Charvet ties, and a Dingman belt size 36 in the same thread. I would much rather include all those brand names to get clicks and increase my ratio of impulse purchases than eat up 13 characters (plus spaces or commas) than omit a name.

I do understand the reason, I just think it's counterproductive for both sides. A huge amount of people who aren't really potential buyers have to click on the thread to find the sizes even if the brand seems mildly interesting, then they're there so they might as well look, and comment... it wastes the buyer's time too since most of the people aren't serious buyers.

it's as simple as:
Suits - Kiton (48) Brioni (50), Zegna (52), Edward Green 8.5/9, Charvet ties, & Dingman belt (36)... or so

Originally Posted by Rambo
Bump for a great seller! Nothing in my size here but I'm very jealous of whoever ends up with this.
touche

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do understand the reason, I just think it's counterproductive for both sides. A huge amount of people who aren't really potential buyers have to click on the thread to find the sizes even if the brand seems mildly interesting, then they're there so they might as well look, and comment... it wastes the buyer's time too since most of the people aren't serious buyers.

it's as simple as:
Suits - Kiton (48) Brioni (50), Zegna (52), Edward Green 8.5/9, Charvet ties, & Dingman belt (36)... or so

touche

I can see your point. I myself on the buying side, like the thrill of the surprise. I scroll down reeeeeeal slow until the size pops up. If its not my size, I scroll down. If it is, I scrutinize. I dont haz it, teh life.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
[...]

Writing the script is only half the problem.
It should be relatively easy to dump all a URLswith imageshack.us and then retrieve those URLs, store/rename the files according to some schema and then alter the URLs in the database according to the same schema. Running such a script basically amounts to a full-text search of the entire database and then an update query on quite a lot of data sets, which could be expensive.
Also, the problem is that there are tens of thousands of these images on SF, and if imageshack detects you are leeching this many images, they are possibly going to block your IP.
So you have to distribute the task and slow it down sufficiently for them not to notice.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
It should be relatively easy to dump all a URLswith imageshack.us and then retrieve those URLs, store/rename the files according to some schema and then alter the URLs in the database according to the same schema. Running such a script basically amounts to a full-text search of the entire database and then an update query on quite a lot of data sets, which could be expensive.
Also, the problem is that there are tens of thousands of these images on SF, and if imageshack detects you are leeching this many images, they are possibly going to block your IP.
So you have to distribute the task and slow it down sufficiently for them not to notice.

Another issue I thought of while pondering the idea is that many of those images are now dead -- imageshack or the original uploader pulled them. I don't know how imageshack would deal with thousands of failed HTTP requests.

My original idea was to use a Perl script to connect to the database, run an SQL query on the posts field and then go every imageshack URL and wget them onto the SF server. As for saving them, I would [hope] vB lays its database out in a useful manner (eg: board, thread, post), which would make the naming/renaming schema easy.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood

I don't think that would be so bad if you just ran the script in batches of sufficiently small numbers that it wouldn't attract attention. It would also cut down on the server load if it were not done all at once. And it would be easy to resume the process from a different IP if Imageshack were to notice and block the first IP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics