• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magic: The Gathering

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Was there really a LARPing thread?

Link?

yeah, i wanna see this too.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played back in the mid 90's. Recently my kid got into it and was shocked to discover that I had boxes and boxes of old cards, some far better than anything his friends had. We've been playing a little. It was and is a pretty fun game.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't play much Magic, but I played the Star Wars CCG pretty competitively in high school.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I played back in the mid 90's. Recently my kid got into it and was shocked to discover that I had boxes and boxes of old cards, some far better than anything his friends had. We've been playing a little. It was and is a pretty fun game.

Haha, depending on what your definition of "mid 90's" is some of those could be really valuable. Look over it before your kid trades anything and makes you
ffffuuuu.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I didn't play much Magic, but I played the Star Wars CCG pretty competitively in high school.
Played this as well. One of my favourite cards was Cliegg Lars. You lose one Force just having him on the field.
laugh.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Played this as well. One of my favourite cards was Cliegg Lars. You lose one Force just having him on the field.
laugh.gif

That must have been from the WotC version...I played the old Decipher version. Like 1996-2001.

heyej

Reaction score
Located small box worth of cards in my garage a few months ago and had an nostalgic moment right there sifting through the remains of my collection. I was introduced to MTG during the revised stage but got hooked enough to scour hobby stores for alpha, beta and unlimited cards .. probably spent most of my measley high school earnings on them.

Sadly I sold all the rare cards before the advent of Ebay. Seems some of the rarer cards from the earlier sets go for quite a hefty sum these days.
musicboohoo[1].gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always enjoyed playing mtg much more than I enjoyed playing video games. I can say it's the only type of fantasy, role playing game, etc I've ever liked (unless you count age of empires). When you're that age, it was fun trading up and building decks. Honestly, I also made a few friends that I still talk to today.

As a joke a few months back, I mailed a piece of linen paper with singed edges, sealed with a drop of candle wax to a friend I hadn't spoken to in almost 10 years. All that was printed on the paper was a quote from juzam djinn "expect my visit when the darkness comes". Apparently he knew who it was right away, we had a good laugh.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyej
Sadly I sold all the rare cards before the advent of Ebay. Seems some of the rarer cards from the earlier sets go for quite a hefty sum these days.
musicboohoo[1].gif

laugh.gif
Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands. I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magic's a very social game because you see who you're in front of and you have to be at least polite and intelligible if you want to keep playing in the future - qualities that people on the internet don't always have. Not sure what the Magic Online community is like.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
laugh.gif

Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands.

I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.

dat fucked up.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magic online is terrible. It lags, the system is rather complex if you want to do things in a particular order, and sometimes it just kicks you out of matches just to say **** YOU.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
laugh.gif
Reminds me of a story of a guy who walked into a card shop a long time ago and really needed lands, swamps I believe. Tried to trade away his Black Lotus for about 4-5 of them (this was probably at the very beginning). Anyways after some bargaining, the shop owner eventually traded for the Black Lotus... for about three lands. I believe it's still there in the shop, framed today.

And yet it is still a piece of paper.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
And yet it is still a piece of paper.

lol8[1].gif

I played online... had a white weenie deck (back when they had the asian cards).

Oh, I "borrowed" my friend's account (i swear he claimed he quit!) and I sold all his rare cards. Got about a grand. bought some really nice dress shoes with that money.

do I win?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics