• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I went a little crazy today. It was sort of cold, but not cold enough for an OC. Perfect day for three piece flannel. This is just about as loud as I get these days.

Three piece brown flannel chalk stripe, solid blue shirt, Italian striped tie, purplish paisley square, brown & blue wool socks, dark brown cap toes (that look burgundy but that are really brown).

ZO3hQ.jpg

N3buf.jpg

if1R9.jpg

Great silhouette on that jacket, Manton. I really wish you'd post photos in natural light.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went a little crazy today. It was sort of cold, but not cold enough for an OC. Perfect day for three piece flannel. This is just about as loud as I get these days.

Three piece brown flannel chalk stripe, solid blue shirt, Italian striped tie, purplish paisley square, brown & blue wool socks, dark brown cap toes (that look burgundy but that are really brown).

Your clothes all fit so well.

Who made those shoes?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
The shoes are interesting. Do you think the overall effect would be better with burgundy? For some reason I can't put my finger on, I have the impression that it would.

Second, can you comment on the lapel width?

Finally, I renew my question on ticket pockets on double-breasted suits.

The lapel width is, I think, moderate.

I forgot the question on ticket pockets. Anyway, I don't like them on any city suits and I really don't like them on DB.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
Manton, who makes those birdseye looking socks from today and yesterday?

Yesterday's were Pantherella. I can't remember what these are.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
As HF suggested, todays conservative business dress

1) I pretty much never think that odd jackets constitute businesswear.

2) If you are going to do it, you need more contrast between coat and pants.

3) The sheen and very fine pattern of that coat make it look like a suit jacket.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday's were Pantherella. I can't remember what these are.

Thank you. And thanks for doing this.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) I pretty much never think that odd jackets constitute businesswear. 2) If you are going to do it, you need more contrast between coat and pants. 3) The sheen and very fine pattern of that coat make it look like a suit jacket.
OK. Since this appears to be a 7-continent threak, I'll chime in with a few thoughts from fly-over country. 1. Here, only some lawyers and a few others wear suits to work these days. Sad but true. My standard business uniform is exactly this, but without a tie. Also I usually go with a patterned sport jacket, but sometimes a navy blazer (like today) Most people in my office think I over-dress. I work in banking. 2. Surprised that you don't think this is enough contrast, this appears on my screen to be pretty much the standard, navy/light charcoal uniform of the Trad. This is how Lisa Birnbach told me I should dress back in 1980 (or there abouts). 3. No comment on the third. I pretty much agree, although I probably wouldn't notice it in real life.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I guess I am out of touch with 1). I figure, either you wear a tie to work or you don't. If you don't, then no need for a jacket.

2) The combo is not "wrong," but lighter pants would be better.

I also think--and it's hard to explain the basis of this--that his shirt & tie combo, while nice, is a suit combo, not an odd jacket combo.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I am out of touch with 1). I figure, either you wear a tie to work or you don't. If you don't, then no need for a jacket. 2) The combo is not "wrong," but lighter pants would be better. I also think--and it's hard to explain the basis of this--that his shirt & tie combo, while nice, is a suit combo, not an odd jacket combo.
I am a man caught between two worlds. I can't bring myself to stop wearing jackets to the office. It seems...wrong. I've been able to ween myself from the tie, but only because every time I wear a tie (100% of the time) someone comments that I must be interviewing for a new job (joke got old about 10 years ago). Jackets without ties here are pretty common. Except on Fridays when it's jeans and golf shirts. Did I mention I work in banking? The pocket square is my tie. My own personal rebellion against the tyrrany of the lowest-common denominator. Very few people wear them, but I seem to be able to get away with the sports jacket, trousers, button down shirt, pocket square look without raising too many eyebrows. Add a tie to the combo and everyone's got a comment. :shrug: One adapts to one's environment I suppose. The only time we wear suits is if we are meeting with a client that will be wearing one. Even some clients consider them stuffy and so we try to sort out the dress code beforehand. I liked it better when there was one dress code and everyone knew it. Things are much more complicated here these days.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I like the look of a blazer with medium grey or medium brown trousers. It's like an intermediate level of formality between the other odd jacket/trouser combos and a suit. Plus the color combo just looks pleasing to my eye, more pleasing than navy/light grey or navy/khaki.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
For a better representation of color :
SkEotl.jpg
While this is an odd jacket, it reads blazer from a distant of more than 5 ft. Additionally, this was a sold only jacket fabric from a pretty respected company, and I agree. When seen in person, it would not be a suit fabric whatsoever.

cronicmole

Reaction score
I don't like that tie with that outfit Manton, seems too 'matchy' and a different pattern would be better

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
I don't like that tie with that outfit Manton, seems too 'matchy' and a different pattern would be better

Actually, I think that is a good example of how to pair stripes with stripes. Different width, scale, spacing and grouping.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
For a better representation of color :
SkEotl.jpg

While this is an odd jacket, it reads blazer from a distant of more than 5 ft. Additionally, this was a sold only jacket fabric from a pretty respected company, and I agree. When seen in person, it would not be a suit fabric whatsoever.

I need DocHolliday here. I guess this is like those early '60s small, tone-on-tone plaids. Somehow the whole is not doing it for me. Maybe if the tie were narrower and/or a knit. I am also not a fan, generally, of graph paper checks on shirts. Gingham or a more complex check is better.

Overall, I think we (on SF) overuse the check jacket/check shirt combo. There is nothing wrong with solid shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads